[ESPN] Durant signs 60 Million Contract with Nike

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by dsounG, Jul 19, 2007.

1. dsounG

dsounG BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>BEAVERTON, Ore. -- Kevin Durant signed a seven-year, $60 million endorsement deal with Nike that includes a $10 million signing bonus, the second-largest rookie deal in basketball.Nike and Durant's agent's office confirmed Wednesday the deal had been reached."We are very pleased to have Kevin as a part of the Nike Basketball family," said Craig Zanon, vice president and general manager of global basketball. "Kevin is an amazing talent on the court and a quality person off the court and we are happy to be partnering with him as he starts his NBA career."The Seattle Times, citing industry sources, reported on Wednesday that Durant had earlier turned down a $70 million deal with adidas. That contract called for a $12 million signing bonus, but Durant has a history dating to eighth grade with Nike."At the end of the day, Kevin has been with Nike his whole career and he felt comfortable with them," Durant's agent Aaron Goodwin said, according to the paper. "He took the time to give adidas the opportunity and they're a great company, but he chose the company that he's more familiar with. And we build brands on authenticity and it's more authentic for him to be somewhere where he wants to be and he's comfortable."The paper said that Nike will unveil a signature Durant shoe after his rookie season with the Sonics. Durant has reportedly expressed an interest in endorsing a midrange priced shoe.</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2941448Aw, That would be cool if he went with Adidas. TMac, KG, TD, Agent Zer0, Mr.Big Shot and Kevin Durant!Oh well.

2. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

Nike has better commercials, but Adidas makes better products. That whole "Kevin's more familiar with Nike" thing seems like a load of something. I dunno, maybe they've been giving him free shoes, but that seems like a kinda stupid reason to pick a company. I'd pick the one that offers more money, personally.

3. Air23Baller

Air23Baller BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dsounG @ Jul 19 2007, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Aw, That would be cool if he went with Adidas. TMac, KG, TD, Agent Zer0, Mr.Big Shot and Kevin Durant!Oh well.</div>yeah that would be cool but now with nike are:Carter,Amare,Kobe,Lebron,Kevin Durant and etc.

4. HCL

HCL BBW Member

The reason Durant picked Nike is simple, if you live in Beaverton like I do. Nike used to be based out of Memphis, Tenn, but was then moved to Beaverton, Oregon (that's where I currently reside). It'd be pretty embarrassing if Durant was drafted to Blazers and didn't pick Nike, since they have their headquarters there and one of the biggest sources of income to Beaverton/Portland.

5. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HCL @ Jul 26 2007, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The reason Durant picked Nike is simple, if you live in Beaverton like I do. Nike used to be based out of Memphis, Tenn, but was then moved to Beaverton, Oregon (that's where I currently reside). It'd be pretty embarrassing if Durant was drafted to Blazers and didn't pick Nike, since they have their headquarters there and one of the biggest sources of income to Beaverton/Portland.</div>I have no idea what you're talking about. Durant plays for the Sonics.