ESPN predicts 31 wins

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Wizard Mentor, Aug 18, 2015.

?

31 wins, over or under?

1. Blazers will win Over 31 wins

41 vote(s)
    65.1%
  2. Blazers will win Under 31 wins

18 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Blazers will win Exactly 31 wins

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Joerger caled out CJ as someone they had to deal with after game 4.

In game 5 he dropped 33...

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

The holes I'm talking about are a team's defense falling apart - stress points that forces your opponent to adapt or lose. If Memphis' strategy was to lock down the folks that were a real threat to overwhelm them (LA and Lillard) and nobody else forced them to change that strategy (CJ and Meyers) then how can you say they got it done against an elite defense? That defense was never brought to bear against them fully.

EDIT:
    I never said just anyone can score against Memphis' defense, but if that defense doesn't focus its attention on those guys I don't think you can point to their effort and say that it's a good predictor of what you can expect from these guys when they are getting all (or at least a good portion) of a team's defensive effort - which is what they will face this coming year.

3. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

31.5 is a perfect over/under for our season.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  4. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I don't know what he assumed, but it's very clear that in the aggregate, players improve. I'm not sure why I'm arguing because you know this very well. The Rookie/Soph. game is just one good example of this. Why is there no more such game any more? Because the Sophs were kicking ass pretty much every year. Why? because players improve and don't peak until around 28 or 29.

Why these two players in particular? To ME, it's not because they did well in the playoffs against arguably the best defensive team in the league. It's how they scored. CJ knows how to use pace, change of pace, screens... to get good shots he can make. Biebs has shown an ability to hit 3s and defend as a 7 footer - which is pretty unique. Having these established skills in tow, they can work on other parts of their game where other players their age are spending their time working to develop the skills CJ and Biebs already have - that's why them in particular, IMHO.

Personally, I think Biebs will turn into an in-his-prime Brad Lohaus THIS season. I'll be interested in seeing him surpass Lohaus in subsequent years. While not glamorous, Lohaus was a very good player and quality starter. That being said, I'm expecting even MORE from CJ.

BBert likes this.
  5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Nikolokolus, I am not as smart as many here. ;) The questions you are asking me have the answers quoted above in several ways. Was there any other player that was an unkown and made a name for himself other than Delavadova? CJ showed the country you better pay attention. I beleive he is very intelligent and most intelligent players ( because lets be honest. There arent alot of them) usually continue to improve to the point of a solid rotational player or more depending on thier physical skills. I thyink CJ's physical skills are VERY impressive. Combine that with his IQ and ability to continue to adapt as he learns the game more and I think at the very least, he is the leagues next Jamal Crawford, but I think he is gonna go further. I think him and Dame learn some D together and create the next decades elite duo.
    Call me a homer. The chips are laid out for this to happen. I only see injuries ( I just knocked on wood. seriously.) or trades preventing this. IF this starts to happen, it will only benefit Leonards game as he post up at the three because now both Dame and CJ can create thier own shot. Add Plumlee and Davis to provide quality screens and crash the boards.
    This team is built for CJ and Meyers to succeed next to Dame, when you start to look at it, with some quality potentials also scattered through the lineup.

Im gonna change my profile pick though... cause I think I look kinda like a homer...

6. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Exhibit A: Rudy Fernandez. Got everyone excited as a rookie and spent the rest of his time in Portland proving how badly he could disappoint us.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  7. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Rudy wasn't a lotto pick or close to it. gg.

8. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

No offense, but I don't see the relevance.

Rudy's rookie season showed more sustained success than we have seen from CJ or Leonard. If an entire season can be a mirage - a few good games certainly can be!

I wish the best for Cj and Leonard (and Vonleh, Harkless, etc). I will believe it when I actually see it.

9. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    OK, then the obvious retort then is Exhibit B: LBJ. Exhibit C: Damian Lillard....
    I was and am unimpressed with your Exhibit A.

That being said, I'm not all in on the notion that they're going to improve a lot. I would say it like this:
    I wish the best for Cj and Leonard (and Vonleh, Harkless, etc). I will remain cautiously optimistic until I actually see it.

10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Difference. Rudy. Rookie. CY and Meyers going into 3rd and 4th years.
    Already noted as the years most guys who figure it out and break out do so.
    Rudy, came out hot from the start and basically was what he was for a bit, then declined. Plus, Rudy was no where near as athletic as CJ. Athletic players have a much higher percentage of improving their game over those that are unorthodox and one dimensional, kind of like Rudy.

Oh yeah, and then there's this...

Look, there are plenty of players in the NBA that can back up both sides of this debate.
    I like what I saw. I think they will improve upon it and I think their expectation to do so is more than that of most players in similar situations around the league. Even Velavadova, who made maybe the largest impact in the playoffs for an unknown.
    Again, we will have to agree to disagree.

11. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

CJ should improve pretty well with his offensive abilities and BBIQ.

I'm on the fence when it comes to Meyers. I will definitely need to see a full season from him. See how he reacts with defenders focusing on him during the game. I'm also hoping he'll surprise me with improved defensive awareness.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

FIFY

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It's highly possible Meyers and CJ had their Linsanity moment against Memphis but they haven't done anything yet...it's yet to be seen if they can build on it or how they respond to defenses actually scouting them for a change. There's no doubt the talent is there

14. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Last season, the only teams to win less than 31:

East
    Philly
    Knicks
    Orlando

West
    Denver (won 30)
    Minnesota
    Sacramento
    L*kers

Lillard makes the Blazers better than most of those teams.

Some of those teams have impressive talent (Orlando, for example), but don't play well as a team (chemistry) to win.

31 seems doable, IMO. I assume no chemistry issues and good coaching.

riverman and Wizard Mentor like this.
  15. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    ESPN is a Blazers homer.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  16. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I predict over 31, but I'm a critic, not a homer. I think you homers overrate our returning players (especially foul-prone, gimmick shooter Leonard). It's our new players who will get us the 35 wins.

17. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Now that's an interesting take on Leonard. I hope like hell you're wrong but I can see where you're coming from.....

18. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    The story that will engage our interest will be the new frontline guys, not the same-o same-o from Lillard, McCollum, Crabbe, and Leonard.

I like annual roster changes. And a new coach and GM about every 3 years.

19. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I agree on annual bottom 8 roster changes though, apropo nothing, I tend to think Crabbe is overrated....

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Leonard actually learned to stay on the court last season, he made a huge leap in staying out of foul trouble and improved defensively.

UncleCliffy'sDaddy likes this.