ESPN predicts 31 wins

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Wizard Mentor, Aug 18, 2015.

?

31 wins, over or under?

1. Blazers will win Over 31 wins

41 vote(s)
    65.1%
  2. Blazers will win Under 31 wins

18 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Blazers will win Exactly 31 wins

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

You must have been thrilled when the Sonics moved to OKC and the Grizzlies moved to Memphis...actually Charlotte would be ideal for a fan of coach swapping and roster swapping...even name swapping

BonesJones likes this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Wouldn't the opposite of homer be homeless?

3. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Homerless......doh!!

riverman likes this.
  4. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Roadster?

riverman likes this.
  5. ebott

ebott Active Member

Don't put Dame on a list with those guys. It's rude.

good = winning games

All those guys might be decent players in a couple years and we'll be a winning team. Right now they're not. We need two more guys as good as Dame if we're ever going to be a contender. Nobody on that list is gonna do that and we don't get free agents. So our only hope is that we hit the lottery the next two years and get guys as good as Dame. So I don't want them to win games. I want them to spend the next two seasons losing all 82 games by 1 point.

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

but really we don't know what these guys are, so to project there aren't 2 guys playing at Dame's level this season isn't a factor yet. I want balance on both sides of the court and 6-7 players in double digits every game..make the playoffs, tweak the roster at the deadline a bit, next season have more chemistry, deeper playoff run, 3rd year, contender..I don't trust the draft like most fans..you use the draft but don't build around it

Chris Craig and Orion Bailey like this.
  7. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

You're saying I shouldn't put Dame on the "Good Pieces" list?.....

You're assuming I said those pieces would make us a contender...

CJ and Meyers were the reason we won game 4. And helped us win a few more, all while playing limited minutes. Their role has expanded. They'll be better, so it's foolish to say they won't help us win games.

Davis averaged something like 15 and 12 per 36 and is a great defender. Those guys make big impacts in games.

Plumlee was a 15 and 10 guy, and having an athlete like that in the pick and roll with Dame is lethel. It makes Dames hob easier at getting us good looks. The more good looks you get, the more games you'll win.

Aminu helped Dallas win a game in the playoffs. His energy is contagious, his defense is top notch, and he's a high motor athlete who rebounds like a beast. A good piece for sure.

Hendersons a 15 or 16ppg per 36 with solid defense and veteran leadership. He's had great offensive games that have won Charlotte games in his 6 year career.

8. ebott

ebott Active Member

Dame is not a "Good Piece." Dame is an all-star. Putting him on a list with guys that haven't proven they're legit NBA players yet is disrespectful.

With the exception of Davis all of those players had much better players to attract the attention of the opposing team's offense. A lot of players tend to produce a lot more when they're on the floor with better players. There's a TON of players that are mediocre/promising on teams with good players and then sign with a bad team and they're a big disappointment.

But maybe you're right and all of those players will be just as productive in more minutes here as they were on better teams. I really hope you're wrong. Because if those guys turn out to be useful enough that we end up doing so well it takes us to the end of the lottery or *shutter* we make the playoffs and lose our draft pick we're gonna be doomed to mediocrity for a long time and we'll be reliving this off-season in six years when Damian leaves.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  9. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Why would we be doom it tell we got good young team that made the playoff so why would we another young player when we got a whole team of young player.

10. BonesJones

HAH I never said Dame wasnt at a higher level...
    A good piece wins you games
    Dame certainly wins games

Every player plays better with good players around them. That's basic basketball. The thing is these guys aren't coming from great teams as it is anyway. You're completely overanalyzing the situation.

If we make the playoffs then we're fewer pieces away from contending, so we wouldn't need the pick (especially in a shallow draft). If we make the playoffs with a cheap and young group like this will attract a solid free agent or two, and our players trade values will be a lot higher. It's not like theyre all 29 and overpaid.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. ebott

ebott Active Member

I'm not sure if I agree that the Blazers making the playoffs means they're closer to contention. In my mind it makes me think they're gonna be stuck in mediocrity for a long long time with no hope of escape.

12. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

With the cap expanding... We make the playoffs with this young core, it will attract actual free agents.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  13. BonesJones

oh yeah, the 24/25 year olds won't improve...

dviss1 and Orion Bailey like this.
  14. Fun in the Sun

Fun in the Sun Active Member

From my perspective, making the playoffs would be great. For us to make the playoffs it would most likely entail having 1 or 2 of our non-Dame players to break out. I share Riverman's skepticism for acquiring two Dame level guys through the draft. Firstly because there is luck involved with drafting, but also because I don't see us being worse than the Lakers, Kings, Tpups, Nuggs, Magic, Hornets, or Knicks in the least. If we make the playoffs (which I doubt will happen) it will mean that either CJ, Biebs, or Vonleh is really good. That would heighten the trade-value of our players and could result in something like Boogie if he were to be available or just keep our dudes because they would be good.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I think this crew will win about 38 games, which is a big accomplishment in the West.

0-Our! likes this.
  16. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

CJ and Leonard are really the tipping point though. Will Meyers' great efficiency translate upwards with a bigger role? Was CJs performance in the Memphis series a temporary hot streak? If those two revert back to the their prior version, this team will a basement team.

17. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    There is no way this team wins over 30 games. No way.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Again...43 is the magic number...book it!

Orion Bailey likes this.
  19. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I predict ESPN is wrong!

Orion Bailey and riverman like this.
  20. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Let’s see, 43 divided by 2 = 21 1/2 wins, sounds right.