ESPN suspends columnist for Hitler comparison

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by TheBeef, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

The race thing is what annoyed me the most about her. I mean there's a perfect example of it in that very same article:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Admittedly, to some degree it was about race. Detroit is 80 percent African-American, and as my colleague J.A. Adande stated in a fantastic piece on the Celtics earlier this season, the mostly white Celtics teams of the past had a tough time being accepted by black audiences. Boston was viewed by African-Americans as a racially intolerant city. Boston was the home of the infamous Charles Stuart case -- in which a white man murdered his pregnant wife and blamed it on a black suspect who didn't exist.

Those feelings toward the city and the Celtics have subsided, in large part because our own racial attitudes have progressed.

But this isn't about race. This is rivalry. This is tradition. Considering Detroit is America's favorite impoverished punch line, it probably hurts every Detroiter just a little to see Boston succeed.</div>
    Like seriously then, wtf was the point in writing that entire paragraph if this has nothing to do about race?

2. Hang Eleven

Hang Eleven BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>What is reverse racism?</div>

Pretty self-explanatory: Basically, being racist towards Caucasians, rather than blacks, Asians, etc. Or at least, using the guise of claiming racism to demean some other race.

I think that all lot of the minority columnists on ESPN really work their angle: Hill, Scoop Jackson, LZ Granderson...really annoying (not that the rest of ESPN can't be either).

3. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chutney @ Jun 19 2008, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The race thing is what annoyed me the most about her. I mean there's a perfect example of it in that very same article:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Admittedly, to some degree it was about race. Detroit is 80 percent African-American, and as my colleague J.A. Adande stated in a fantastic piece on the Celtics earlier this season, the mostly white Celtics teams of the past had a tough time being accepted by black audiences. Boston was viewed by African-Americans as a racially intolerant city. Boston was the home of the infamous Charles Stuart case -- in which a white man murdered his pregnant wife and blamed it on a black suspect who didn't exist.

Those feelings toward the city and the Celtics have subsided, in large part because our own racial attitudes have progressed.

But this isn't about race. This is rivalry. This is tradition. Considering Detroit is America's favorite impoverished punch line, it probably hurts every Detroiter just a little to see Boston succeed.</div>
    Like seriously then, wtf was the point in writing that entire paragraph if this has nothing to do about race?

</div>

Ow, that hurt laughing so much.

That's a blatant contradiction. What a retard. She should get suspended for shit like that^.

4. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hang Eleven @ Jun 19 2008, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>What is reverse racism?</div>

Pretty self-explanatory: Basically, being racist towards Caucasians, rather than blacks, Asians, etc. </div>

Isn't that just racism

5. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ryan @ Jun 19 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hang Eleven @ Jun 19 2008, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>What is reverse racism?</div>

Pretty self-explanatory: Basically, being racist towards Caucasians, rather than blacks, Asians, etc. </div>

Isn't that just racism
    </div>

Hes right, thats just racism.....just plain old ridiculous racism....

6. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I thought his second definition was better:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Using the guise of claiming racism to demean some other race.</div>

7. Hang Eleven

Hang Eleven BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Jun 20 2008, 04:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ryan @ Jun 19 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hang Eleven @ Jun 19 2008, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>What is reverse racism?</div>

Isn't that just racism
    </div>

Hes right, thats just racism.....just plain old ridiculous racism....
    </div>

You can only be racist towards non-white people, or so the perception goes. So being racist towards Caucasians is the reverse of racism.

Or something. [​IMG]

8. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    [​IMG] is right.

9. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

This is from Dictionary.com:

RACISM
    noun
    1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

I know you arent arguing the point, just pointing out what the columnist meant, but no columnist should get away with making up a phrase to suit their purposes....

10. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

Wouldn't reverse racism be using race for your advantage?

As in, I know some colleges accept certain students due to their ethnicity because each school wants to have an even ethnic percentage, so the school is more diverse.

Just an example, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.