Trade ET Traded

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, Jun 24, 2019.

1. JoshuaHall

JoshuaHall Well-Known Member

It’s indicative of how much he has the ball.

Less opportunity with the ball = less likely to get assists.

And when your opportunity with the ball, by your own team and coaches admission is to “jack 3’s cuz you’re our only shooter and need spacing” is further going to hamper your assist percentage.

Also being told not to “drive and clog the lane.”

Role matters. So does usage.

2. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Tim Frazier has played well since we traded him. He started for 3 different teams last year due to injuries. (Including Toronto and Mil ) He and Dame are tight. He could be an option.

3. JoshuaHall

And once again, his AST% is (admittedly) garbage because yes he is a chucker but he was also told to bomb 3s and to stay out of the lane.

4. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

So a bunch of reasons why he doesn't pass... Guess what, he still doesn't pass. Never has proven to be a passer at any level in any situation. Therefore, it's likely ingrained in him.

hoopsjock likes this.
  5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

perfect

6. Pinwheel1

I am guessing Hood will never have another series like he did against Denver either. He was phenomenal off the bench

7. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Its very possible Trent was put in that role because he didnt have the skillset to do other things well.

So far in his very short career he hasnt shown the skillset to create for others, does he have it? I dont know, but he sure hasnt shown it.

Dougnsalem, hoopsjock and BonesJones like this.
  8. JoshuaHall

Once again, I never said he was a passer, nor was I arguing that he was so I don’t know what the fuck your point is other than making straw man arguments.

I said it was laughable that someone notes Gary Trent Jr. as a black hole then suggested a bunch more players - who are more developed, have higher usage ratings, and had a greater role than “stand at the 3pt line and jack 3s” - as players he would prefer but “I don’t like Trent because he is a black hole.”

Why the fuck else would you like any of those other players more then? They’re arguably just as bad, if not worse - given age, role, etc.

Scalma likes this.
  9. JoshuaHall

By his coaches admission, he could do a lot more than “jack 3s”.

Once again — at no point have I argued or stated he is a great passer — so maybe lay off the Gary trent Jr focus and start telling me why, if he is a “black hole” those other players are logically not black holes.

Get off Trent’s dick and start picking apart

Kyle Guy
    admiral schofield
    THJ

Since they aren’t “black holes”

10. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Dont take things so serious my guy. We're talking about Trent's "ability" to pass.

You picked out one guy who isn't even more of a black hole. Guy averaged 2.1apg in college, Trent averaged 1.4. Also, eye test.

11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

:35

No ability to pass.

HailBlazers and Pinwheel1 like this.
  12. JoshuaHall

Also, on this topic... your comparison makes no sense.

Gary Trent Jr. was in the Allen Crabbe role. Catch and shoot. Yet average more assists, or approximately the same, as the others... who were in the CJ role.

13. JoshuaHall

You responded to my post which was not about Trent’s ability to pass.

It was about what makes Trent a black hole in comparison to the other guys. So what makes the other guys so different?

So focus on the other guys, not Trent.

And I’m not taking things seriously. It doesn’t matter to me. There is no logic that states than these other dudes are some stellar passers in comparison.

Notice how you can’t refute any of the statistics or statements I’ve provided.

Also Kyle Guy - 1.3 assists per game. 1.5 assists per game. Then as a junior, 2.1. For a stellar average of 1.6 over a 3 year college career.

I’ve read your posts. You’re smarter than this dude.

14. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Did I ever argue they weren't black holes? I responded to a post about Gary Trent Jr, not about Guy, Schofield or THJ.

BonesJones and hoopsjock like this.
  15. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

The problem is Jeremy Lin will not be happy at all as a third string guy who gets DNP. If we want Simons to attempt to take the primary backup PG role we can't bring anyone in who will get upset with a DNP. Then of course there is the salary, I don't want to burn our MLE at our best position when we have the wing and big issues we have.

I'd really look at it as though Dame is our main PG; Simons the backup PG, CJ the third string PG. Maybe there is a two way player we can sign as the 17th man to be the 4th string PG? Or we try to get a veteran on a minimum contract for that 15th roster spot that will accept the role, think of Earl Watson on his final season here. I think I'd rather target that 15th roster spot for a forward (still our area of biggest weakness) or a big since we have the Nurk injury concern.

This is all in motion depending on if we can keep any of Kanter/Hood/Aminu.

Either way I'm fine leaving the 4th string PG spot vacant until we finalize everything else with the roster.

16. JoshuaHall

My apologies. I thought you were participating in the conversation I started about how Trent is a black hole and those other players aren’t, which has somehow devolved into a conversation about Gary Trent Jr. and nothing about those other players.

17. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    You're complaining about not saying something while going off on others about something they didn't say either.

Try actually reading all of the post next time.

Orion Bailey and BonesJones like this.
  18. Pinwheel1

Always need shooters. Loved these highlights. Showed a variety of ways he can score. I think he can be better than Crabbe.

19. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Once again, that post, which appears to have upset you so, was not stating that those players were better than Trent. It was saying that those players were available with one of the two picks that were given up to acquire Trent. The implication is not that they are less of black holes than Trent, but that their overall contributory value to the franchise would be roughly equal to that of Trent, so it was arguably poor resource management to have given up an additional pick on top of that one to acquire Trent.

At least, that's how I read it, and that appears to be what @hoopsjock has said in his subsequent posts in this thread.

20. JoshuaHall

I am not going off on them.

I am telling them they aren’t answering the question I posed.

If YOU believe Gary Trent Jr. is a black hole ... why do YOU believe those other players arent?

They have responded as to why Gary Trent Jr is a black hole, which is not the question I posed.

I will ignore your last statement so as to not turn this into a pissing match.