Ettore Messina - Coming to Toronto

Discussion in 'International Basketball' started by shookem, Sep 23, 2008.

1. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

Perhaps some of you have noticed that I think one of the most important things that has to be done to improve the overall calibre of basketball in the country is to improve coaching at every level.

Well, the good people at Ontario Basketball (or Basketball Ontario if you wish) are trying to do something about it.

The iconic Ettore Messina is coming to coach CSKA Moscow against the Raptors in the pre-season and if you click here, you’ll see he’s also doing a clinic that’s got to be a don’t-miss proposition for all of you.

Sign up quickly because I know this will fill up in a hurry. Or at least it better.

And, in what might be the best part of the whole thing, the fee is going to a great, great charity. That’s just icing on the cake, isn’t it?
    http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

http://www.basketball.on.ca/site/ind...y&Event_ID=564.

The Toronto Raptors, Ontario Basketball and Canada Basketball are proud to present Coach Ettore Messina at the University of Toronto (Athletic Centre) on Monday, October 13th.

The clinic will take place from 12:30 p.m. until 2:00 p.m. (with registration beginning at noon).

Coach Messina currently serves as head coach of CSKA Moscow in Russia. CSKA Moscow were Euroleague Champions in 2005-06 and 2007-08.

Maurizio Gherardini, Senior Vice-President of Basketball Operations, Toronto Raptors, refers to Ettero as "one of the winningest coaches internationally, he ranks with the best teachers of our game, a legend in his own time.”

The cost for attendance is $10.00 per with all proceeds going to the Daily Bread Food Bank.

kobimel likes this.
  2. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

Kinda wanted to brag!

We sure are lucky to have him do a clinic for us.

3. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

As I said in the Raptors forum, a great opportunity for anyone who's interested in coaching, or just basketball in general, and lives near there. I would certainly go, it's just ten bucks and it all goes to charity. Are you planning to attend, shookem?

4. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

Yeah, I'm pretty lucky. I'll be right up front or maybe even sitting off to the side on the floor.

The topic - developing the big man, is something I'm interested in hearing him talk about.

Kobimel, can you recall any prominent big men that Messina has developed?

And I know it's a little far away but if anyone has any questions, I'll try to ask him if I get the chance.

5. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

Well, most of my knowledge doesn't extend past the last 4-5 years....M21 is probably the guy to ask about past guys. But I know he coached Matjaz Smodis for 3 years at CSKA, Uros Slokar and Andrea Bargnani for 2 years back at Benetton Treviso and David Andersen for most of his pro career (at Virtus Bologna and later, CSKA).

That's awesome that you're going, have a good time!

6. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

id be interested in his thoughts on the skill level of the young bigs in the game, howard, bynum, oden. also, why the death of the mchale post moves, those always seemed to get the job done. (the crazy elbows out up and unders, pivots, etc.)

7. shookem

shookem Still not a bust