Evacuation and the ride home

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Showtyme2642, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Showtyme2642

Showtyme2642 JBB JustBBall Member

God Bless....

Hey ... i'm from houston..i am currently enrolled at utsa.... i fear the safety and well being of my fellow houstonions... please be safe... everybody dont try to be "tough" and "stick it out".... i want ya'll to know i have my prayers for all of the people in houston and especially my family that lives in friendswood... they went to the hilton in the galleria area... if you have room in your prayers please pray for them... thank you... god bless...

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I don't mean to sound like a totally ignorant a-hole, but I have no clue what you are talking about. I can tell though that you have good intentions at heart but this doesn't really have anything to do with the Rockets. I'll lock this thread but everyone will still be able to see your message.

Thanks for understanding,
    Locke.

3. Showtyme2642

Showtyme2642 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't mean to sound like a totally ignorant a-hole, but I have no clue what you are talking about. I can tell though that you have good intentions at heart but this doesn't really have anything to do with the Rockets. I'll lock this thread but everyone will still be able to see your message.

Locke.</div>

honestly ... i do understand i just wanted the connection... between the rockets and houston... hurricane rita.... but yeah i understand... sorry man...

4. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

I think we can let this go here in this forum.

It's a serious matter that will affect Rockets fans and the team. My best wishes go out to everybody in the area.

5. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't mean to sound like a totally ignorant a-hole, but I have no clue what you are talking about. I can tell though that you have good intentions at heart but this doesn't really have anything to do with the Rockets. I'll lock this thread but everyone will still be able to see your message.

Locke.</div>
    ...Effin A-Hole. No I'm just kidding. What? You don't know that Hurricane Rita's going to the Houston area? But yeah, God Bless to Houston and the residents in the area. Although I really doubt anything like Katrina will happen, anythings possible and I just hope everything isn't completely destroyed like New Orleans. Right now, its supposedly headed towards Galveston.

6. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Holy, I'm still clueless on this? Wasn't Hurricane Ophelia just over, but now another one is heading to Houston? God, call me whatever, but I still don't know the details of this one.

Now that I do know at least something, my prayers go out to all you Houstonians out there and wish you all the best. Real sorry on not even knowing about this when you guys are living in dreaded anticipation...

7. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

The media's really going for hurricane stories now. Honestly, every time I turn on CNN there's something about a watch for a hurricane, even when its like two weeks away. Things aren't the same since Katrina hit. People actually leave now when the government tells them to. Supposedly, this one is going to be a Level 5, which I doubt since they're probably just trying to get media and people's attention. News pisses me off, people overreact and try to get stories so badly.

8. magnetik

magnetik JBB JustBBall Member

It's already the 3rd strongest hurricane in US history. Oh. it's not 2 weeks away either.. it's 2 days away. It's also already a category 5. When Katrina hit.. it slowed to a category 4. No one is overreacting.. if you watch the news.. this is the real deal. There are mandatory evacuations going on right now in Galveston and parts of Houston. 1.3 million people were already evacuated. The winds have hit 165+ mph already and it's getting worse. It's scheduled to hit the coast on Friday night or Saturday morning.

Rita grows into monster Category 5 hurricane

There was also a tornado that touched down today near St. Paul, Minnesota and a plane that had it's landing gear stuck in California. Luckily the pilot made a perfect landing with the front wheels turned 90degrees! I was glued to CNN even though the "LOST" season premiere was on. Man.. for a while I thought it was the end of the world.

9. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post"> Although I really doubt anything like Katrina will happen, anythings possible and I just hope everything isn't completely destroyed like New Orleans. Right now, its supposedly headed towards Galveston.</div>

Well this hurricane is FAR stronger than Katrina ever was. The reason Katrina caused so much damage was because of the location of where it hit, not necessarily the size of the storm.

Actually its currently headed towards Matagorda Bay(sp?) which is the worst case scenario for Houston and Katy. This is because the NE section of the hurricane is the most dangerous part(being able to produce tornados, etc.). The best possible scenario at this point is for Rita to take a more southern course towards Corpus OR as crazy as it sounds, Galveston. A direct hit on Galveston would be far better for Houston than if it hit Matagorda Bay.

My heart and prayers go out to all my fellow Houstonians. Be safe guys, I will be praying for you.

10. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

I am probably just gonna ride the storm out. We havent even boarded our windows or anything yet though, so idont know whats going to happen. The winds are supposed to be really bad. I dont know about 3rd worst, but i heard it is the fifth worst. Wish me luck.

11. magnetik

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bplld:</div><div class="quote_post">I am probably just gonna ride the storm out. We havent even boarded our windows or anything yet though, so idont know whats going to happen. The winds are supposed to be really bad. I dont know about 3rd worst, but i heard it is the fifth worst. Wish me luck.</div>

You should at least tape your windows. This will keep glass from flying if it breaks..and may hold it in place if it does. I have been in the same situation with Hurricane Alicia back in 83' and it was only a category 3.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Forecasters said Rita could be the most intense hurricane on record ever to hit Texas, and easily one of the most powerful ever to plow into the U.S. mainland. Category 5 is the highest on the scale, and only three Category 5 hurricanes are known to have hit the U.S. mainland ? most recently, Andrew, which smashed South Florida in 1992.</div>

12. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

Be safe people, we need fans to fill the seats at TC ([​IMG])

As of right now I still have no idea what plans are, but my entire family (some 60-70 people) that lives in SL will be going togehter, so it'll be a big party extravaganza deal.

Those of you staying, I hope you don't do anything stupid, keep yourselves hydrated, and please use common sense.

Good Luck to all, stay safe, and God Bless.

13. IversonAllen

IversonAllen JBB JustBBall Member

yea this is a serious hurricane, hopefully it doesnt do any serious damage to our city, my family decided all stay in houston and ride it out, wish us luck.

14. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I live in Katy and this thing is starting to seriously freak me out...a category 5 already? the worst to hit Texas? this is all still so surreal to me...hopefully everybody stays safe and stays smart...God bless...

15. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

I dont want to leave my house...I can't let it get looted. That and my dads business. I hope this is all just the media bsing. I know they tend to over exaggerate SOMETIMES. After seeing Katrina, people are just expecting the worst.

I hope the TC stays where it is.

Good luck to all my fellow houstonians, and may all of us and our necessities stay safe.

16. magnetik

OMG! this doesn't look good.

From bad to worse, I am afraid

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The current track for Rita is just about as bad as you could imagine for the Houston-Galveston area.

Unless the storm turns south or north in the next 24 to 48 hours we are set up for a truly horrific event. I am not going to sugar-coast this, my friends. If the storm comes ashore as forecast, it would essentially be the worst-case scenario described here.

</div>

Models show 'massive devastation' in Houston

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Houston's perfect storm would feed on late summer's warm waters as it barreled northward across the Gulf of Mexico, slamming into the coast near Freeport.

A landfall here would allow its powerful upper-right quadrant, where the waves move in the same direction as the storm, to overflow Galveston Bay. Within an hour or two, a storm surge, topping out at 20 feet or more, would flood the homes of 600,000 people in Harris County. The surge also would block the natural drainage of flooded inland bayous and streams for a day or more.

Coastal residents who ignored warnings to flee would have no hope of escape as waters swelled and winds roiled around their homes. Very likely, hundreds, perhaps even thousands, would die.

Meanwhile, as the storm moved over western Harris County, its most dangerous winds, well in excess of 120 mph even inland, would lash the Interstate 45 corridor, including Clear Lake, the Texas Medical Center and downtown.

Many older buildings could not withstand such winds.

Anything not tied down, from trees to mobile homes to light poles, would become missiles, surreally tumbling and flying through the air, flattening small houses, shattering skyscraper windows and puncturing roofs.

"Unfortunately, we're looking at massive devastation," said Roy Dodson, president of the engineering firm Dodson & Associates, which Harris County asked to model realistic "worst-case scenarios" for a major hurricane hitting the area.

Dodson's firm modeled more than 100 storms of varying power, speed and landfall. It concluded that a large Category 4 or Category 5 -- a storm only moderately larger than the four that struck Florida last summer -- would cause as much as $40 billion to $50 billion in damage. That's 10 times the cost of Tropical Storm Allison and approximately the city of Houston's entire budget for the next 15 years.

And this wasn't an academic exercise. Of the 17 Category 4 and Category 5 storms that have struck the United States since 1900, three, all Category 4 storms, have hit the Greater Houston area -- unnamed storms in 1900 and 1915 and Carla in 1961.

</div>

17. igotask8board

Sounds like were screwed...One can only think god is pissed because we helped those so called "bad" Lousianna people.

18. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting igotask8board:</div><div class="quote_post">Sounds like were screwed...One can only think god is pissed because we helped those so called "bad" Lousianna people.</div>

There's always something to be learned in any situation. God is always there, always forgiving. Though we may not see it now, we may learn a lot about ourselves through this whole ordeal. Keep your faith, it'll take you places.

19. igotask8board

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting magnomonkey:</div><div class="quote_post">There's always something to be learned in any situation. God is always there, always forgiving. Though we may not see it now, we may learn a lot about ourselves through this whole ordeal. Keep your faith, it'll take you places.</div>

like all around houston through the hurricane winds? lol.

I still am not leaving. **** that. Don't want to get looted.

California and Orange County, its coming.

Orange county is under MANDATORY evacuation.

20. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    I still am not leaving. **** that. Don't want to get looted.</div>
    So let me get this straight, you'd rather risk your life than get stuff stolen from you.