Evacuation and the ride home

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Showtyme2642, Sep 21, 2005.

1. PlaTsanity

PlaTsanity JBB JustBBall Member

this hurricane is suppose to be really bad
    my prayers go out to everyone from Houston

I had some family down in Houston
    they are (like 20 of them) are flying down to Toronto in a few hours
    but its crazy at the airport aswell
    the boarding lines are full till the parking lot

2. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

I evacuated to Dallas. Traffic was horrible. 20 long hours but I finally made it.

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Wow, must have been a very drastic experience having to wait on the roads, but I'm glad you made it and are safe Julio.

Let's hope whoever else from Houston who are evacuating can be safe and sound as well.

4. side45wayz

side45wayz JBB JustBBall Member

No kidding, didn't you learn anything from NO. Get out. Although the highways are over 12 hours backed up now, make sure you have extra gas tanks, everyone on the highway is running out of gas and getting stuck. This thing is going to be HUGE

5. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">The media's really going for hurricane stories now. Honestly, every time I turn on CNN there's something about a watch for a hurricane, even when its like two weeks away. Things aren't the same since Katrina hit. People actually leave now when the government tells them to. Supposedly, this one is going to be a Level 5, which I doubt since they're probably just trying to get media and people's attention. News pisses me off, people overreact and try to get stories so badly.</div>
    Usually we don't see eye to eye, but your sooooooooo right on this one. I've lived in Houston my whole life, and trust me, this isn't New Orleans. No disrespect intended, but we're not below sea level, and we don't have two levee's surounding us. We're a GIANT city, and it's impossible for the whole city to be under water. People's emotions are high because of Katrina (understandably) but let's not listen to the media, they're job is too scare the hell out of us. I'm staying in Houston through the Hurricane, and I will holla at ya'll in a couple days (power will go out). Peace

6. Eduardo

Eduardo JBB JustBBall Member

Jeez..I really hope the media is exagerrating..Goodluck to all you Houstonians out there, stay safe [​IMG]

7. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">So let me get this straight, you'd rather risk your life than get stuff stolen from you.</div>

Like Rock4Life said. The media tends to f'ng exaggerate, and people are expecting the absalute freaking worst because of Katrina.

I am not in the mandatory evacuation area. We did tape our windows, get 2 guns ready, over 100 bottles of water and enough food to get by for atleast a week. I just hope the AC/Power don't go out, but that is asking to much. The power has to go out, (either the looters will cut the lines, or the gov will shut off the power, because water and electricity don't mix well.

I have to much to lose if I leave Houston. MY HOUSE WILL 99% CHANCE GET LOOTED IF I LEAVE. But the hurricane shouldn't be that bad. I personally think it will just hit galveston, and the gov/media is saying it will hit Houston as well so it would spped up the eco. Gas is all out, and all the walmarts/sams clubs have closed because they have nothing left to sell.

8. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting igotask8board:</div><div class="quote_post">Like Rock4Life said. The media tends to f'ng exaggerate, and people are expecting the absalute freaking worst because of Katrina.

I am not in the mandatory evacuation area. We did tape our windows, get 2 guns ready, over 100 bottles of water and enough food to get by for atleast a week. I just hope the AC/Power don't go out, but that is asking to much. The power has to go out, (either the looters will cut the lines, or the gov will shut off the power, because water and electricity don't mix well.

I have to much to lose if I leave Houston. MY HOUSE WILL 99% CHANCE GET LOOTED IF I LEAVE. But the hurricane shouldn't be that bad. I personally think it will just hit galveston, and the gov/media is saying it will hit Houston as well so it would spped up the eco. Gas is all out, and all the walmarts/sams clubs have closed because they have nothing left to sell.</div>
    Haha........I tried to go to HEB and that was the stupidest thing. What part you in? I'm near the mission bend area

9. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

I PMed you. Never heard of mission bend. But I live in norhern houston so I guess i am pretty safe.

10. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Usually we don't see eye to eye, but your sooooooooo right on this one. I've lived in Houston my whole life, and trust me, this isn't New Orleans. No disrespect intended, but we're not below sea level, and we don't have two levee's surounding us. We're a GIANT city, and it's impossible for the whole city to be under water. People's emotions are high because of Katrina (understandably) but let's not listen to the media, they're job is too scare the hell out of us. I'm staying in Houston through the Hurricane, and I will holla at ya'll in a couple days (power will go out). Peace</div>

I actually agree with you. This is a big deal, but at the same time it's not a big deal. It's like after 9-11 we had to deal with the tightening of airport security, and now after Katrina we have to deal with overreactions and unnessecary evacuations everytime there is a minor threat of potential hurricane damage. Houston is inland, above sea level, and the hurricane has apparently shifted eastward if the news reports are right, so any panic is, in my opinion, unnessecary. I'm sure you'll have a power loss, hard rains, minor damage to a few buildings, or something like that, but nothing major.

11. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting igotask8board:</div><div class="quote_post">I PMed you. Never heard of mission bend. But I live in norhern houston so I guess i am pretty safe.</div>
    Sorry dog.........I don't know how to use it, I clicked it, and nothing popped up. What's up

12. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

The Hurricane really depends on your location. There are places around the city that can have horrible flooding while other areas dont. I had to leave because even though my house has never flooded, the water has gotten very close. And that was just a long storm not a hurricane. And I think it was better for me to leave because my family didnt stock up with supplies and everywhere we went they were sold out. It also would be very uncomfortable with no power. I really dont feel like hanging around my house with no light and no A/C in hot Houston weather. Its better being safe than sorry. If the Hurricane does damage my home atleast I wont be there while it happens. And if the Hurricane doesnt do any major damage, we can go home knowing its over.

13. magnetik

magnetik JBB JustBBall Member

what most people don't realize is that the most real damage won't come from flooding.. it's going to come from the 145+ mph winds that it's going to bring if it hits at the speeds that it's at now. At that speed.. your roof is easily ripped off your house. Anything not tied down will become essentially missles. I am sorry but it's better to be safe than sorry. I surely hope you guys are right that the media is overblowing it.. I am sure the people in New Orleans thought the same thing.. and look where it got them. We are in height of a 15 year cycle of increased hurricane activity. We have only had a total of three Category 5 hurricanes in the history of the U.S. and we have had 2 within a month. This year is the 3rd busiest hurricane season in history of record keeping (late 1800's when they started) and the season isn't even over yet. We still have until November 30th which is the scary thing. People tend to get complacent sometimes around coastal cities because most of the time they are not directly hit and feel like it's not a big deal.. but if you ever been through a strong one.. you will change your mind real fast... then it's too late.

14. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Eduardo:</div><div class="quote_post">Jeez..I really hope the media is exagerrating..Goodluck to all you Houstonians out there, stay safe [​IMG]</div>
    Eduardo, I LOVE your sig man...did you make it?

anyway, I just heard like 10 minutes ago that the storm is moving further east...meaning where I'm at, Katy, is pretty well off for now, according to fox 26...julio-R, I'm glad you made it safe man...its crazy in Houston right now...but its looking like Katy might be in decent shape, hope to God...

15. clutchcity04

clutchcity04 JBB JustBBall Member

Hey everybody, I live in Beaumont, TX directly in the projected path of the hurricane, and haven't evacuated. So if I don't post here again it probably means i'm dead. I'm not a religious guy by any means, but a little prayer never hurt anybody, so keep me in your prayers if you can guys.

16. magnetik

magnetik JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting clutchcity04:</div><div class="quote_post">Hey everybody, I live in Beaumont, TX directly in the projected path of the hurricane, and haven't evacuated. So if I don't post here again it probably means i'm dead. I'm not a religious guy by any means, but a little prayer never hurt anybody, so keep me in your prayers if you can guys.</div>

what? don't say that! I have friends in Nederland too.. if it makes you feel any better... it's now a Category 3 and slowing.

17. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting clutchcity04:</div><div class="quote_post">Hey everybody, I live in Beaumont, TX directly in the projected path of the hurricane, and haven't evacuated. So if I don't post here again it probably means i'm dead. I'm not a religious guy by any means, but a little prayer never hurt anybody, so keep me in your prayers if you can guys.</div>
    Wow, man, stay safe. I guess it's impossible that you can get anywhere safe now but don't be so pessimistic. I'll be seeing you post within a month and will be praying for you meanwhile.

Btw, Rock4life, to view your PMs, click on the private messages link on the top right corner.

18. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

well it took us all day to get to I-45 North yesterday and we were on half a tank and there was no gas around, so me and my fam had to turn back......I think we're going to be okay where we're located at.

19. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

Man is this hurricane a joke. Its weakened up quite a bit, i heard the winds are in the 80s for us, and keeps moving east. People are just chilling outside in my nieghborhood.

20. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Stay safe everyone. Just like AXB, Rock4Life, and VC, I agree that the media has a great deal of exaggeration in determining the severity of the storm, but nevertheless I?ll keep you guys in my prayers.