Evangelical Group To Convert Kids As Young As 5 At Portland Pools, Parks

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Rastapopoulos, Jul 22, 2014.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Never impugn Perry! He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action.

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    No, they don't. Some people are simply too poor to afford private school or to not work so they can stay at home and teach their kids.

Schools forbid most prayer on the school property. That seems anti-religion to me, as well as anti-assembly and anti-speech. They also pass out condoms, which seems in opposition to religious beliefs that forbid (awfully) contraception. That seems anti-religion to me, too.

I'm not at all pro religion, but I have to be honest about what the schools are. Like I said, I'm not sure if there's a better way to do things. Well, maybe get rid of the truancy laws or allow for vouchers for the education of parents' choice.

3. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Not it isn't.

There was no Dept. of Education telling them what to teach, organizing students into grades, etc.

4. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

That wasn't what you said. You said build schools and hire teachers. The Dept. of Education doesn't do either of those things.

barfo

5. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    [​IMG]

6. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

So they shouldn't go to school and be educated?

7. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

Someone with that much of an issue with public education would find a way to work it out.

Handing out condoms would be anti-religious in the same sense teaching evolution in science class is. There's a certain point where nonsensical primitive superstitious beliefs simply cannot be sensibly respected, even within the framework of freedom of religion. Also I'm assuming no school forces any child to accept a condom. They presumably are just made available if wanted.

Rules against religious assembly in school are necessary as schools are necessarily secular institutions. Again, that doesn't make them anti-religious, it is just part of the what is necessary for all religious beliefs to exist on an equal footing without any particular one being promoted or endorsed.

8. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

The public education system does not have a secular agenda. That's just a bullshit rallying call made up by the religious right.

9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Sorry, but I disagree. You can't expect poor people to just "work it out" to be able to afford a government mandated thing that is on the order of $10,000 per student in cost.

Yep, handing out condoms is anti-religious, as is teaching evolution or that creationism is crap (which it is).

Your own words: "rules against religious assembly" - that's anti 1st amendment.

Thus my suggestion about vouchers.

10. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    If your definition of "anti-religious" is "teaching kids the knowledge that we've accumulated over the last couple thousand years," then yes, schools are anti-religious. Of course, that says some pretty negative things about religion.

My definition of "anti-religious" doesn't presume that religious people are anti-knowledge (as yours presumes), and instead would be predicated on directly encouraging kids not to have a religious faith. Giving them the knowledge that might cause them to question religious faith is not direct. Everyone should have as broad a knowledge base as possible and then make their own decisions based on that.

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I'm pretty sure catholics know what contraception is.

;)

Catholics really might want to attend a school that doesn't promote things that are opposed to their doctrines. But they may not be able to afford the tuition.

Catholics are one example.

12. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Yes, but I don't think exposing kids to some beliefs you don't share is de facto "anti-religious." If that's the case, life itself is anti-religious, and anti-secularism and anti-anything, because you're always going to run into exposure to beliefs you don't share.

If public schools were actively attempting to stamp out religion, I'd agree that they were anti-religious. Schools are simply offering knowledge and plenty of knowledge that we've accumulated over time doesn't correspond well with belief systems that are two thousand years old or older. That doesn't make such knowledge "anti-religious" in any active way.

13. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

In my experience if someone is really convicted about something they will find a way. For example I'm not buying it's necessarily an impossibility that a poor working parent couldn't homeschool. It wouldn't surprise me if accredited (but religiously edited) homeschooling courses were available online through Christian institutions.

Doing anything at all is apparently anti-religious by your definition.

Forcing a child to take a condom against their wishes would be. Simply making them available is not.

the 1st amendment necessarily has to have some practicality in its application. we have freedom of speech, but nobody is really free to yell fire in a crowded theatre. similarly we have freedom of assembly, but it isn't practical to allow without any consideration of consequences under all possible circumstances.

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Schools aren't giving people the choice. And yeah, they are actively stamping out religion. They're not offering religious knowledge in communities that are almost exclusively one religion.

See my response to crowTrobot below.

15. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I just hate proselytizing, especially to kids, although it is legal and they have the right, I just wish they wouldn't. If I brought a kid to that pool, I would ask them politely not to talk to my kid. If they refused, then I might practice my freedom of speech and make sure their words weren't going to make it past mine.

But I would point them out to the kid and explain that those people were not to be listened to or respected.

16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    You can't rely on your experience. It's limited. I assure you there are people in Apalachia or Louisiana that are so dirt poor they're unable to come up with $10,000 x 4 for the 4 kids they have to go to the school they choose.

I'm not opposed to secular schools. Heck, most people should go to them, IMO. Evangelism is a decent chunk of what religion is about, and handing out condoms is evangelism against their beliefs.

Imagine things were reversed. Every school was very religious dogma blah blah. Only if you can come up with $10,000 can you send one of your kids to a secular school.

Yelling fire in a crowded theatre causes bodily harm. I think that is a stretch.

17. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I'm not a expert on any of this, so I could be wrong, but freedom of assembly in schools is fine, the Christians or Jews or whomever may assemble, they simply can't do it using school funds (stuff), so they can't have a teacher supervise and they can't use the art supplies to make a banner. But they can meet on their own in prayer groups at lunchtime or after school, and in many public schools there are groups that assemble to pray. Just not at a school wide assembly or in class or in any way that may be construed as being sanctioned.

18. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    ...and shit in a hole in the ground, died from the common cold, believed people of color were not actually people, thought the world was flat...

Ahh...those were the days.

19. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Sounds like you're a 100% supporter of Obamacare then?

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Parts of ObamaCare have been ruled anti-religion, no?

I'm no supporter of the government forcing people do anything at all.