Politics Ever since Trump became president...

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Blazer4ever, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

Bush promoted an increase in home ownership which only exacerbated the problem. The bubble broke towards the end of his 8 year administration. While, I'm sure there could be blame to spread around, in my mind he owns it given that it was an 8 year term and the bubble broke towards the end of those 8 years. TARP was passed at the end of his presidency. The economic gains started by Obama allowed me to sell it. I'm not sure that TARP did anything for me. I guess my point is this. Shit happens. Obama did do things that helped people, like fixing the economy which allowed me to finally sell my house. Bush also did things that were very admirable. Although his decision to go to war with Iraq wasn't the right one, he was a very Presidential leader in guiding the nation through 9/11. Still, I don't go around trying to beat up Bush for problems I faced due to his presidency. I'm guessing Bush didn't try to ruin the housing market. I also think Obama probably thought that under his system insurance would be better, you could keep your health care plan, etc. To go on and on about Obama being a liar because he wrongly believed that people would be able to keep their health plans, is ridiculous. That ship sailed. We now have Obamacare. The question is what do you do with it now. Instead, Trump and Trump supporters want to rail on and on about Benghazi and emails and Russia connections with Hillary. Trump won. It's his job to fix the system. Maybe he should actually do that instead of continuing to worry that people may not believe that he legitimately won or to continue to campaign against Hillary. That ship sailed too. He did win. There is no undoing that. Now do your job and govern and for the love of god, quit tweeting (as entertaining as it is). Similarly, Obama and Clinton are not the President. Retreading criticisms of Clinton and Obama will not accomplish anything. I'm sorry that @MarAzul lost his insurance. I'm sorry that my house was under water causing real harm to my family and I. But shit happens. We need to move forward, not backwards. My hope is that the Dems and Republicans can work together to create a program that works and has a strong chance of being stable. Otherwise we get this cyclical risky market (because no one knows what's going to happen next), which can only increase costs for all. My two cents.

2. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    They did not rule on the issue I am speaking about.
    But if I point out that the Constitutions does not give the Federal Government a role in health care, there for they should not be making a deal with my former employer to quit providing me health care, I think we should easily agree on this point.

Instead I get a plethora of;
    I am not a lawyer,
    The Court disagrees.
    That's for the court to decide,
    More people were helped....

The worst thing about this, is millions of retired people lost their benefit which was compensation for years of service this way. I don't see how taking it for them to help those you want to help is justified morally let alone, no clear Constitutional authority. Then in a short time no one is helped but we are still screwed and I don't think one Democrat will acknowledge the harm.

So this was not done in spirit of up holding and defending the Constitution. It was done, flat out ignored it. The Court rule the mandate to buy insurance was a tax, and thereby, legal
    but that flat out ignores the prohibition on direct taxes. And where it is a side step by the court, not wishing to get into a legislative fuckup that is doomed to fail anyway.
    Shit! Millions of retirees are still left screwed and the Democrats could care less. That sort of shit is worthy of war.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Jade Falcon likes this.
  3. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Actually you are incorrect. Bush's administration attempted to rain in the issuing of FHA ready mortgages without skin in the game, but the Democratic Congress would not do so.
    They pushed for more by Freddy, Fanny, and the Banks.

I will agree that Bush and his people did not resist as strenuously as we know they should have. That story is in the books.

4. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I don't think it should have been taken from you. I have, and continue to be in favor of universal healthcare. The entire idea of insurance companies are just a money draw. The amount America spends per capita on healthcare is such BS because our politicians will sell their votes for backing.

stampedehero and Strenuus like this.
  5. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Well you see, we were not getting insurance from insurance companies. When you understand that then you begin to understand the shit Obama did. He took our health care provide by Self insured employers. Make no mistake the reason to tax it was to eliminate it so that we would be force to buy it from insurance companies. This was the bait, a large pool of people, new money for the insurance companies to compensate them for insuring the next batch of high risk people.
    It didn't work but it will never get fixed for us. You can't buy insurance like we had, and I have no hope universal healthcare will be as good.
    It's about the same as the Democrats saying, if all can't have it, then none should even if they worked for it. IT'S NOT FAIR!

Now you don't see a fix from the Democrats or the Republicans. They ripped the old system apart and have no workable solution. The Democrats plan failed and they have no fix. The Republicans don't either.

But if they followed the Constitution, then they could be in the business of providing Health Care or helping do so. I don't mean insurance, I mean healthcare, not slight of hand work and the promises of the professional panderers.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  6. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

"Omg trump is so bad we are all gonna be working in camps soon. TRUMP RUSSIA"-people on this forum

"omg trump is our lord and savior, make america great again. Fuck Hillary"- people on this forum

The OT section isn't fun and is just full of oldies who wanna make the same arguments about politics not getting anywhere in any conversation.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  7. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

lol, "Oldies"? Bruh, I'm 34.

I mean....you know....I don't always act like it, but I really am 34.

I prefer to think of myself as "young at heart". :biglaugh:

8. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

That's 238 in dog years. You're almost as old as MarAzul.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  9. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I think it does suck that you lost good health care. I think it sucks that many like you lost good healthcare. There were systems that could have been adopted that could have led to more people receiving healthcare like you had, but the politicians fucked it up.

I am however, glad that many others got some healthcare and I would like that to spread more. So basically, I support that Obama tried to make sure more people had coverage but I think the system put in place (the fault of both D's and R's) is very far from ideal. I think we as a nation need to work at making universal healthcare an imperative and fire any politician who works against that aim. We spend the money as a nation but so many people have their wallets out that we get shit for results.

I really am sorry you lost good coverage.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  10. Jade Falcon

I despised Obama for many reasons, but I will say this:

Obamacare, in my opinion, was the result of the government, through administration after administration, constantly putting the issue of Healthcare off onto the next president. For the past...what, 50 years or so?....Healthcare has been getting worse and getting worse and getting worse, and time and time again politicians brushed it off on to the next people in line for their jobs. BOTH parties are guilty of this. Republican presidents brushed it off, and Democrat presidents brushed it off. Both brushed it off on to the next generation, and made half-ass efforts to make any REAL change to the problem.

Now Obama comes along, and by the time it lands on his desk, it's an absolute huge fucking mess. I can't necessarily fault him for doing things his way. But....I do believe he could have listened to those people who told him "look, despite what you are telling people, there are many Americans who ARE going to lose their doctors and/or their health insurance."

MANY people told him that repeatedly, and he didn't listen to them. And that's exactly what happened: millions of Americans lost either their existing Healthcare plans, and/or their doctors. If he had listened to them and made the appropriate changes and compromises on Obamacare, perhaps things would have turned out better.

But we'll never know that now.

stampedehero and Further like this.
  11. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Good thoughtful response. I see things a bit differently, I see that Obama made the wrong compromises to get something passed, and I believe that to be mostly due to the R's, but I'm not certain anymore. Regardless, I thought your post was very fair and a great shot at being honest to your viewpoint without coloring it with a bunch of hyperbole in order to get a win for your side. Regardless of who was at fault, I believe this issue can't be passed down any longer.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Jade Falcon likes this.
  12. Jade Falcon

Thank you very much. :cheers:

13. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

You are growing up right before our eyes.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  14. Jade Falcon

lol, dude come on. I haven't been THAT immature. :biglaugh:

I freely admit to letting my emotions get the better of me from time to time, but for the most part, I think I'm usually pretty reasonable. Of course, folks here are free to disagree with that if they wish.

Then again, I don't post in the OT as much as I used to.

theprunetang likes this.
  15. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Just messing with you. I can't help pushing buttons every once in a while.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  16. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Politics is filler for the off-season. Bashing Trump is fun because Trumps' personality invites emotional criticism.

17. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    The court doesn't necessarily rule on the constitutionality of a case. In the ObamaCare case, it ruled that it's not the supreme court's job to make bad laws.

18. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    It is their job to strike down unconstitutional laws. In the Obamacare case, their ruling was that the law was not unconstitutional and it wasn't up to the courts to repeal legislation that the plaintiffs didn't like.

19. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    In your opinion.

In the Court's opinion, they value separation of powers more than so-called Progressives do.

Effectively, it's not the court's job to write or correct legislation, that's beyond their branch's role. Instead, they urged the people to go out and vote to get the laws they want. Elections have consequences.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  20. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Indeed. Their role is to strike down unconstitutional legislation, and they found Obamacare not to be in violation of the Constitution, which is why any action on their part was outside their role.