Exit Interviews

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Apr 11, 2022.

1. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

The Blazers certainly did wait too long to trade Dame if the goal was to get the maximum return. But 4 years ago there were many possible ways the Blazers could build a contender with Dame. Now many of those options have passed, and with shipping out 4 starters the short term opportunity to make roster moves to contend is more bleak now than ever in Dame's tenure.

The Thunder got SGA and might end up with one or more starters from those picks, thats a pretty good haul. The Celtics got Tatum and Brown in the Nets trades, but it took many years. Similarly we don't know what the Thunder will ultimately end up with now. Its a roll of the dice, maybe the Thunder ultimately don't get a stud in the draft from the trade. But if a trade like that plays out 100 times there will be a significant percentage of those outcomes that do turn into a star, and many with multiple quality starters. That has a lot of value; yes its an inexact predication.

Maybe a haul for Dame would get one or more legit building blocks to contend in 5-10 years. Or maybe the Blazers can't get a good haul for Dame. I'm fine riding him out into the sunset as you say if the offers are not enticing. I'd say all those offers I listed are very enticing and if available the Blazers should consider them. But if not, then ride out Dame. The team could pivot to rebuilding with him as the Lakers did around an old Kobe selling tickets, jacking shots, and not really winning. The Blazers should then try to make good draft picks inside and outside the lottery as the Lakers did with Clarkson, Randle, Russell, Nance, Hart, Ball, Ingram, Zubac, Kuzma, Caruso. Amazing the drafts the Lakers had to get all that young talent, and equally amazing how they now have none of it.

2. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Trade draft picks or promising young player for run-of-the-mill vet.
    Act surprised when said vet fails to have a meaningful impact.
    Trade vet for a fraction of what you invested in them.
    Lather-rinse-repeat.

Maybe we should try a different approach?

BBert likes this.
  3. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I do not trust Cronin at all. I'm afraid he's going to overpay Nurk and make some stupid bad deals like the Clippers trade in the offseason.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  4. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

That is an unprovable statement. (disregard - see my formal apology below).

But like I said it my post, the odds would suggest they won't be future MVPs.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  5. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

PCmor7 is accurate & his statement is completely provable.

There will only be 58 draft picks this year. Miami & Milwaukee both forfeited their 2nd round picks.

Tince likes this.
  6. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Fairly-Hard and PCmor7 like this.