Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Ranger71, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Francis has to have made some deals already, there's no way that's the team without compensation.

2. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing...a lot of head scratching picks.
    Would be odd for the Kraken to trade away one of the players that was actually in attendance for the expansion draft, no? Do you guys really think Giordano is coming to NY?

3. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

I hope 37yr old Giordano stays in Seattle. Not worth giving up an asset for. There are cheaper alternatives. Would guess well probably hear about Eichel today or right before the draft. Sounds like the Eichel sweepstakes is down to us and the wild. Hope we don't get raped in an Eichel trade especially with his neck a big question mark. Would prefer Larkin but trading with yzerman is no fun. Festivities should start happening after the 1pm deadline

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  4. Greyvtrayn

I agree. 37 yr old Giordano, sure he's a solid defenseman but no thanks....square peg/round hole.

5. Ranger71

Trouba really isn't all that much of a vet, so to go into the season with an avg D-corps age of 24 isn't optimal, despite the young talent. Giordano would give them some experience, toughness and point production. I think he'd be an excellent fit for a year at a retained cost.

6. Greyvtrayn

Fair enough...for one year he would be a good piece but only for 1 year with a portion of his salary retained.

NYR Fan likes this.
  7. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

No thanks on Giordano unless he's retiring to become an assistant coach, so many young prospects for so few available spots. I'd rather see Schneider or Robertson . I don't want to give up the farm for Eichel, neck injuries end careers. I would still look to move Mika, he's going to want a big raise. Blackwell is a good player but lacks size. I don't see why the Rangers would want him back. Gauthier/Goodrow/Barron is a very nice 4th line.

8. Greyvtrayn

For a season Giordano is a good fit, but no longer than that. Schneider is only 19 and Robertson 20, those two can be the 7th/first injury call up this year.
    Rangers lack depth at C. Why on Earth would they trade their best C and exacerbate the problem? He will want (and deserve) a big raise and will get it from the Rangers or another squad. Maybe if the Rangers weren't paying their 4th line C $3.6m/yr resigning Mika wouldn't be as difficult?
    I liked Blackwell last year but he is definitely replaceable, no need to bring him back.

9. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Why are we repeatedly calling Goodrow a 4th line player? He just won two cups playing 3rd line winger on a very important line for Tampa. So he’s a third line player for Tampa but can’t crack the top 9 with the New York Rangers?

I can easily see Goodrow playing on the right with Kreider and Chytil, and helping Chytil with face offs. That has the potential to be a very big and very fast line that can wear teams down. If you listen to Drury one of the biggest reasons we targeted him was his ability to play both C and wing. He was a good center in SJ, and he was a good winger in Tampa. Playing him on the wing while adding insurance down the middle in case someone goes down is incredibly valuable. Add in his PK ability, face off ability, size, physicality, decent offensive ability, ability to plug in anywhere in the lineup on almost any line and not to mention his two cup championships, and it’s not hard to see why we paid what we did. He was exactly the kind of player we need and to get him we had to go a year too long and a 500k or so too expensive. Who cares. Send him with a 3rd to some shit team in year 6 and we’re fine. I’m excited to have him.

10. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Laf-Zibanejad-Kakko
    Panarin - C Upgrade - Kravtsov
    Kreider-Chytil-Goodrow
    Barron-Richards-Rooney

I can see that being our lineup opening day. There's a shot Buchnevich is here instead of Krav, and that's probably what I'd prefer, but I think it's less likely. There's also a shot Chytil is the guy who goes, and Goodrow centers that 3rd line. Having Goodrow here gives us lots of options and flexibility.

11. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

I think better chance Goodrow is a C than a W, and Chytil and Buch both have a good shot of being gone.

From what I have been reading, Buch is very available and Drury knows it will be difficult to pay Buch what he wants and still have the balance the team needs. I don't see us giving Buch $5M+ long term, so I think good shot he goes.

12. Ranger71

They also could sign a guy like Stastny to C a 3rd line if need be. Zib/Eichel(??)/ Stastny would be great down the middle.

13. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

His offensive production has been 4th line like. It might be better now that he will be here. Tampa really is a 2 line offense during the regular season. Either way, I'm thrilled he's here. Our role players have been the embarrassment of hockey the past few years.

14. Greyvtrayn

The only reason why I have been referring to him as a 4th line C is because ...
    He could very well be the Rangers 3C, he seemed to be more than adequate in that role for the lightning. I am glad that he will likely take Zibanejad's spot on the PK too. Very happy to have him on the roster.