Ezeli and Leonard healthy and producing at the deadline=Plumlee trade?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by JDC, Aug 19, 2016.

1. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

This is probably thinking a little too far ahead but w/e.

If Leonard and Ezeli are healthy and effective come the deadline (and that's a big if), how likely do you think it is that Plumlee is traded at the deadline? Who do you start at center?

We'd miss his passing , but I think Leonard has shown that he's capable of shorting the pnr when Dame/CJ is trapped and either hitting the mid range or floater or identifying the open shooter if the defense rotates. He doesn't have the handles that Plumlee has, but I'm not sure how valuable that really is.

An Aminu/Davis/ Ezeli/ Leonard really makes sense to me as a future frontcourt rotation.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

75% chance. We can't pay him. We have no reason to pay him with the frontcourt logjam we have. He also has trade value and we could likely get a first for him.

BBert, Orion Bailey and Eastoff like this.
  3. BonesJones

The bigger question is who we pursue at the deadline. Vucevic? Cousins? A healthy Chris Bosh?

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  4. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Vucevic is the only realistic option, but don't like the fit at all. We don't have the right combination of assets for Cousins or Bosh imo.

5. BonesJones

I think Bosh is attainable if the Heat are having a bad season. Prior health concerns and age make him a realistic option.

6. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    If Plums is healthy and effective, Biebs may well get traded.

HailBlazers likes this.
  7. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

Ezeli is here, most likely, two seasons. If he's healthy, he gets paid and (assuming the CBA doesn't change much) we don't have Bird Rights. If injuries are killing him, then he's gone.

So, yeah, I'd consider dealing Plumlee in the right move, but I wouldn't feel pressure to move him simply because the others were doing well.

8. BonesJones

I'd rather have Meyers at $9M a year than Plumlee at $15M a year.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  9. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

We can offer a starting salary of roughly 13.5 mil per to Ezeli. If he only plays 20 or so min per game and wants to be here as much as it seeemed so at his presser, I think thats an agreeable deal for both sides.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  10. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I wouldn't.

Nhawz likes this.
  11. BonesJones

You can't play Plumlee with Ezeli or Davis. You can play Meyers with either.

BBert, JFizzleRaider and Orion Bailey like this.
  12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

If Plums is expendable based on the other four doing well, and we decide to go after those guys, then we need to move another one of our bigs like Meyers or Davis.

If Cousins comes to our team, he will get 36-40 minutes and we will still have a log jam of bigs with not enough minutes.

If Davis/Aminu/Ezeli and Meyers are all playing well, do we really need much more front court help?

We will probably have to take a chance by the trade deadline as we have all pretty much agreed we have log jams that need to be moved around, but this is a really tough decision because so many of our guys are still on the up and are young with potential. Dont want to trade a future star and dont want to get stuck with a guy showing big promise that turns into a dud.

I am glad Olshey is a numbers and video guy on top of lifestyle(meaning wanting guys who fit our culture) because I think this is going to be the most stressful and busiest regular season for him. He cant take any nights off with his ongoing assessment of this team if he wants to make the right decision come the deadline.

Id love Boogie, but we would have to make more room for him than just moving Plums as far as our bigs, or we still have the same logjam of bigs, maybe more so because Boogies is more minutes than Plums.

13. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Sorry, man, I just don't agree. One of the lessons from last season is that Meyers can't move his feet enough on D for PF duties. I see what you're saying from an offense/shooting POV, though.

There seems to be a lot of disagreement about Biebs on these forums. Some think that he's a non-NBA player because he can't move his feet and he make horrible decisions. Others think that he's too valuable to trade, even for Boogie! (I'm exaggerating both POVs, of course). I'm closer to the former, you seem to be closer to the latter. Honestly, I hope YOU are right!!

STOMP and BonesJones like this.
  14. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    My guess is that we keep Plums until the offseason, unless there's a deal that's too good to pass up.

Why spend all the money we did in the offseason, then trade away a player who improves our chances to win in the playoffs? If there's a trade that gives us a better chance to win, of course NO should pull the trigger.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. BonesJones

Yeah, he's a C. But he fits perfectly next to Davis because Davis is more of a PF.

16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

If the Blazers make a trade I think it will be Davis headed out

17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Why would we trade for a player who can't stay healthy and may have to retire

dviss1, riverman and BBert like this.
  18. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

The trade value of the Blazer players mentioned in this thread is a mystery. My guess is, all of the players we “may” be whiling to trade have more value to our own team than to other teams, at this time.

Many things can happen before the trade deadline. An injury on a team trying to make noise in the playoffs is the obvious one. By then, some of our tradable assets may have more value to other teams. But what do we need back to make the trade worthwhile?

Given the future cap space issues, my guess is, draft picks, probably not another player and his contract.

Right now, I do not see any trade that would make sense for both the Blazers and the other team. With slim odds a trade will be made before deadline. But there is a lot of basketball to play between then and now.

This is the roster we probably will have in the playoffs, so get used to it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Orion Bailey and Dougnsalem like this.
  19. BonesJones

Because those reasons would make him attainable, and if he gets healthy he could be that nursing piece to a ring.

20. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I'm sorry, I can't help it, but from when you accidentally misspelled "willing" with "Whiling" I read the rest of this post in Stewie Griffin's voice.

SheedSoNasty, dviss1 and Shaboid like this.