Ezeli and Leonard healthy and producing at the deadline=Plumlee trade?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by JDC, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    I think Plumlee is our backup C. Meyers is actualy more effective defensively as a Center than as a PF but I think he's ideally a PF, other than in specific situations when we can actually play with 5 shooters.
    If he has better trade value and can get us a better player I can see Plumlee go but I think there are weaker players in the front court logjam and that he could be a very servicable backup C, probably even more effective than as a starter and he's a better option as the 2nd center than anyone else we have

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

The more I think about it, the more I think OFM is correct. NO doesn't want to get us into luxury tax hell, so unless we are within the top 4 spots at the deadline, which might be tough at that point, given the schedule, then I could see a trade for a pick. We are now maxed out and though our team is one of the youngest in the league , we still only have one true proven star.
    If we make a trade, I see it for Plumlee because we wont be able to resign him next year. Not at the current cap and money spent already anyhow.

Gonna be a crazy season and competition on this team will probably be the likes of which we have never really seen. Again, this is overall a good problem to have compared to many of the other problems.

We knew someone had to break out last year and it was CJ. This year I believe someone else will break out too. Almost inevitable if we want a winning record again.

3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

For a good mix on the floor a team can only have one guy in the paint. Portland currently has 3 players who don't have much offensive game outside of it. If I'm Davis or Plumlee, I'm focused on improving my jumper this summer. With a passable 15-20 footer, either would gain so much value to this team and around the league overall... because Bigs who can play both inside & out can mix with anyone. Both can already move the ball/pass and even dribble pretty well, so playing outside the paint on O already is within their skillets save the key aspect of being a scoring threat if left open. With what he showed in the playoffs, Plumlee could be a force at the top of the key if defenders had to play up on him. On the other end & in the open court I'm pretty sure most of us would prefer either over Leonard covering most Bigs at 4 or 5.

STOMP

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  4. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    Teams didn't always play this small.
    Plumlee and Davis together could maybe make us a bit slow but give us a great advantage in the paint, in rebounding and rim protection.
    That's what I like about our roster, we can go small with Leonard at Center or go very big with Plumlee and Davis or Ezeli and Davis. We have options, flexibility.

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Greg Oden is attainable but just like Bosh....no thanks...accident waiting to happen and there's the fact that Bosh is older than dirt...doesn't fit our youth movement at all and he wants a zillion dollars to play...

GDiama, BBert and Wizard Mentor like this.
  6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I get what your saying, but you do know that Leonard is the biggest guy on the roster right? So to say going small with him, is not quite accurate. I think our small ball lineup would be Aminu at the 4 and Davis/Plums at the 5 which would match up to GSW type of small ball game. Anything other than that is probably going to result in a larger bulkier lineup on the court.

7. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

he's the tallest, but you don't play hoops with the top of your head. Festus has a bigger wingspan, the same standing reach and weighs more... he's the biggest guy on the roster.

STOMP

Denny Crane, dviss1 and PtldPlatypus like this.
  8. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

And he's better able to move his feet on defense.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Does he weigh more though? I'm not sure. I thought Leonard weighed more but if not, I see your point.

10. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Festus is listed at 265 Meyers at 255. For what it's worth, Ed Davis & Plumlee both measured the same 9'0 standing reach at their respective combines as Ezeli & Leonard. The 4 biggest Bigs all have the same standing reach... whats the chances?

STOMP

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Interesting that Aminu has a slightly longer standing reach than all 4 of them. Only by a 1/2 inch, but still worth noting since he will be playing mostly PF this year.

STOMP likes this.
  12. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I am actually really excited about this experiment. If you look at the numbers, with Aminu at the 4 last year, we played really well. It is going to give us the ability to switch on almost everything defensively and not get burned. I am pumped for this upcoming season.

STOMP, 0-Our!, Orion Bailey and 2 others like this.
  13. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I hope we experiment with smallball lineups with Aminu at C and Harkless (or maybe Turner) at the 4 this year.

14. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    100%