F.A. with options chooses Chicago; Dunleavy returns 3 yrs/14.4 million

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by _GB, Jul 1, 2015.

1. _GB

_GB Bulls Fan Staff Member Moderator

Nicely done Gar.

2. _GB

http://www.blogabull.com/2015/7/1/8...dunleavy-reportedly-close-to-return-on-3-year

truebluefan likes this.
  3. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

Pay for the privilege to be a contending team? Fat chance. That's just not consistent with what we've seen from ownership over the past decade. If my math is right, signing Dunleavy would put the bulls about $2.5M above the current anticipated luxury tax threshold. I think one of two things happens. Either the front office trades Taj Gibson for only 6M in return salary before the season starts, or the luxury tax threshold is going to come in about 2.5M higher than expected. (I feel like I've heard rumors that the threshold is going to come in quite a bit higher than expected so I'm trying to keep optimistic that Gibson will be retained.)

Derrick Rose $20,093,064
    Joakim Noah $13,900,000
    Taj Gibson $8,500,000
    Pau Gasol $7,448,760
    Nikola Mirotic $5,543,725
    Mike Dunleavy $4,400,000
    Kirk Hinrich $2,854,940
    Doug McDermott $2,380,440
    Jimmy Butler $14,700,000
    Tony Snell $1,535,880
    E'Twaun Moore $1,015,421
    Cameron Bairstow $845,059
    Richard Hamilton * $333,333
    Total salaries: $83,550,622
    Projected tax: ~$81,000,000

4. _GB

5. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I wanted to keep MDJ. I also think he could do damage with the second unit this season.

6. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

7. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

This is a good deal. Maybe not one that moves the needle all that much, but good nonetheless.

Word coming out now is the 3rd year is partially guaranteed. We can still use the mmle, and the upcoming cap increase should make his 5 million salary very reasonable starting next year.

8. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

So many people were seemingly angry last season when Dunleavy was playing and McDermott was not.

The narrative was that McDermott was being kept down by the old coach and Freddy Del Hoiberg would free McDermott.

If the goal is to free McDermott, this is a curious signing, as Dunleavy was a better player than McDermott last season and seemingly plops himself right in front of Dougie McBuckets on the depth chart.

The signing seems like an admission from the front office that Dougie isn't ready to be the main small forward on a "win now" team. Based on what I saw last season, I tend to agree with that and think Dunleavy is solid role player.

An interesting signing. Like the Portis pick, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things in terms of the Bulls winning a title, but if the main guys can deliver, Dunleavy is a great glue role player if he can still go for a couple more years.

9. _GB

Or...they simply liked his game, and his versatility, and think he'll be a good addition to the team regardless of how Hoiberg uses him.

Your worldview is a bit skewed there, K4.

10. kukoc4ever

And I would say the same of yours..... :) (felt the same way when you passionately defended PaxSiles and the Core 4)

If you want to free dougie, you don't reacquire the veteran that was ahead of him that outplayed him.

This management team can't pick a lane between "win now" and "win later"..... the results speak for themselves.

Bulls will have a roster that few will pick to win the title and a rookie coach, with once again two young players that probably need development minutes to develop in Mirotic and McDermott and superior veteran talent ahead of them on a "win now" roster age wise.

The Cavs took their young stallion, traded it right away and turned it into Kevin Love. They will be the favorites to win the title next season. Clearly in the "win now" lane.

The Bulls will have two young players that are not really "win now" guys just yet (especially dougie, if last season is any indication).

I'm cool with the Dunleavy signing, as he's a good glue player on a "win now" team. Its just there was soooooo much unhappiness from Bulls fans last season about McDermott not getting his development minutes. Bringing Dunleavy back doesn't help with that mission. Tony Snell is still on the roster as well.

Between this situation, the Rose/Butler rift and the continued Mirotic/Noah/Gasol/Gibson logjam, plus the continued "win now" vs "win later" dischord, I hope Freddy Del Hoiberg brought a big bottle of aspirin with him from Ames.

11. _GB

Again, they simply liked his game, and his versatility, and think he'll be a good addition to the team regardless of how Hoiberg uses him.

It's depth. This isn't rocket science.

12. kukoc4ever

One would think, and I agree.

But there were many angry that McDermott wasn't getting heavy development minutes. Adding veteran players better than Doug doesn't help that cause.

13. kukoc4ever

Has anyone asked McDermott's dad what he thinks of the signing?

14. _GB

On what planet would this make one wispy iota of difference?

Stop trolling this thread.

15. _GB

One can never have too much depth in a marathon like the NBA. And it's good to keep him out of a competitors hand (Cleveland).

16. kukoc4ever

I agree.

But, try telling that to the McDermott fans if he isn't getting 25+ a night again, despite being worse the Dunleavy and Snell.

(perhaps McDermott will step up and earn these minutes all by himself)

17. kukoc4ever

McDermott's dad supposedly complained to Bulls management last season when Dougie wasn't getting enough playing time.

Many Bulls fans were attributing the lack of playing time to the previous coach having it in for Dougie.

Now the front office brought back the guy ahead of him on the depth chart from last season, thus jeopardizing the minutes again.

I wonder if Doug's dad has a problem with that again.

Statements like this don't add to a discussion in any way. Knock it off.

18. _GB

McDermott will have to earn his burn. Just like every other player on the squad. It's important to develop young players, and they need PT to do that, but if he totally clueless and detrimental to the team, yet plays 25 minutes a night, he and Hoiberg will justly receive the Lovie Smith/Rex Grossman treatment.

19. _GB

I couldn't care less. It's like that stupid stuff with Derrick Roses brother, or LeBron James mother.

This ain't TMZ.

20. kukoc4ever

If you don't think that Reggie Rose / BJ Armstrong and their poor relationship with the Bulls organization hasn't been germane to the Bulls organizational environment and won't continue to be going forward, you are deluding yourself, IMO.