F' COMCAST

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blue9, Sep 26, 2014.

1. ShareTheRock

ShareTheRock Hope Is Not a Strategy

If nothing else I think the deal should have been reached that required Comcast to share or sell rights to DTV and not for the obscene price per person they were trying to get.

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

One thing I am 99% sure of and that doesn't get publicized at all is that the Blazers pay KGW to broadcast the games and from I understand they pay a significant amount. The Blazers do try to make some games available for free to the fans.

3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

lol.

Sorry, Sly. But there's no way around it. They fucked the fans over and a little bit of KGW games isn't going to get the forgiveness.

4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Comcast fucked over fans. The Blazers are trying to make the best of a bad deal negotiated by Larry Miller.

5. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Agree! Comcast was supposed to get a deal done with Direct/Dish several years ago. They havent tried very hard and why would they? They've probably gained a ton of subscribers because of this (and Pac 12 channel).

6. ShareTheRock

ShareTheRock Hope Is Not a Strategy

I agree that Comcast is the villain here.

7. BlazersFanatic

BlazersFanatic John 3:16

Im not sure about that, I think Comcast just wants exclusive rights period. I know many people who have directv and they only watch blazers games when on KGW or prime time, otherwise they only see them when at game or they have fallen away from team. Signing up with Comcast just to watch blazer games is not a priority to anyone I know and they are die hards, just hate Comcast.

I just hope Blazers come up with solution that can appease the fan base and still keep money coming in for them. If they do another Comcast deal though I will blow my freaking lid!

8. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Re: FUCK COMCAST

I want Paul Allen, Neil Olshey and all the big wigs at Comcrap to see what we feel about them.

9. BigGameDamian

As of August 2013, the channel is unavailable on DirecTV and Dish Network. DirecTV and Dish Network maintain that Comcast is negotiating in bad faith. For example, on one hand Comcast argues that the channel must be on a lower tier with the most customers.[10] At the same time, Comcast argues that non-Comcast-owned sports channels should be shown only on a sports tier.[11] The Trail Blazers are said to be frustrated and disappointed by the conduct of Comcast over their contract with CSN.[12]

The Consumer Protection Committee of the Oregon House of Representatives held a hearing on February 24, 2010 to help get the channel on DirecTV, Dish Network and Charter Communications. No one from DirecTV, Dish Network, or the Trail Blazers attended.[13]

On June 21, 2010, the Trail Blazers asked the Federal Communications Commission to require Comcast to make Trail Blazers games available to competing multichannel programming distributors such as DirecTV and Dish Network.[14]

One Oregon cable company, Canby Telcom, has objected to the additional annual charge in excess of $32 being required to be charged per customer in 2012 and has announced plans to stop carrying the channel.[15] Canby Telcom President Keith Galitz is quoted as saying "That's just too steep an increase for us, and it's not in line with inflation or normal escalation of prices in the industry."[15] Canby Telcom had announced plans to discontinue the channel as Comcast had offered a non-negotiable fee increase that would bring the annual per subscriber charge to over $32.[15] Canby Telcom has accused Comcast of raising rates way beyond the rate of inflation and industry-wide increases.[15] Clear Creek Television, which carried the Trail Blazers for 15 years, was rebuffed when even attempting to negotiate the above-market rate Comcast pushed at Clear Creek.[15]

"Comcast clearly sees the public perception of its treatment of sports fans as a potential Achilles heel in efforts to acquire NBCU", said Sports Fan Coalition Executive Director Brian Frederick, discussing how Comcast sent senior staff members to Oregon when a member of the Sports Fan Coalition testified before the Oregon Legislature on Comcast's denial of access to hundreds of thousands of customers of DirecTV, Dish, and other cable operators.[16]

In a November 7, 2010 article, Blazers CEO Larry Miller continued to express frustration about the lack of availability.[17]

10. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Re: FUCK COMCAST

FUCK comcast. The Blazer situation was one of the key/main reasons why I left them for Direct TV. Not to mention their shitty menu system, crappy ass HD quality, and sound. Oh yeah then there is the price rape. Jesus, you either bundle or get taken to the cleaners. No thank you.

Next deal the Blazers better do is allow rights to all carriers, and quit with the fucking black out zones, jesus christ.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  11. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    It seems like there should be a Blazers League Pass for $60-$75 instead of NBA League Pass for $150.

12. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I switched to comcast when my daughter was born, and we had to give up or season tickets. Never had a problem with them.
    People complain about them not selling something they bought for super cheap so direct tv could carry it also. Why not complain about direct tv not listing the price? Why doesn't direct tv make NFL Sunday ticket available on comcast? Being able to watch Blazers games was very important to me. So was happy to sign up for comcast to get the games.

13. BigGameDamian

You can get the NFL Sunday ticket on your PS3, PS4, XBox360 and XBoxOne.

14. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

None of those say comcast.

15. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

True, but the point is that there are avenues by which one can obtain Sunday Ticket without being a Direct TV subscriber, which is not true of CSNNW and Comcast, which is why it is not a valid comparison.

If Comcast followed suit and made CSSNW available via some other medium, people would likely be less venomous toward them.

16. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

You don't have to have comcast to get csnnw though, right? You could have a different cable provider that carries it.

17. BigGameDamian

What other cable company has CSNNW?

18. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

As of September 2013, Comcast (Oregon and Washington), Ashland TV, Beaver Creek Telcom, BendBroadband,[5] Canby Telcom,[6] Charter Communications (Oregon and Washington), Country Cablevision, Frontier Communications (Oregon and Washington), MINET (Monmouth, Oregon),[7] Monroe Telephone, Reliance Connects, Scio Cablevision, Verizon FiOS (Portland and Seattle), and Wave Broadband are carrying the channel.[8][9]

I don't know the availability of all of those, maybe not a single one is carried in Portland, am unsure.

19. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

None of those are available here^

20. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

I thought some if not all of Charter, Verizon and Frontier were.... But I don't live in the area so what do I know?