F1 star Alonso returns to Renault with megadeal

Discussion in 'Racing' started by CelticKing, Dec 10, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

F1 star Alonso returns to Renault with megadeal</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

MADRID, Spain -- Two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso is heading back to Renault.</p>

The 26-year-old Spaniard announced his return to the French team Monday after a turbulent season at McLaren.</p>

At Renault in 2005, Alonso became the youngest driver in F1 history to win the title. He repeated in 2006.</p>

"I am delighted to be returning to Renault," Alonso said in a statement. "This is the team where I grew up as a driver in Formula One. Now it is time for us to begin a new chapter together."</p>

Renault said that Alonso, who agreed to a two-year contract, would drive along with Nelson Piquet Jr. The duo will make their debut testing the new R28 car at Valencia from Jan. 22-24.</p>

"Fernando and Nelsinho will form one of the most exciting driver lineups of 2008," Renault managing director Flavio Briatore said. "We are delighted to be welcoming Fernando back home to the team where he enjoyed his greatest success. His abilities as a driver and a team leader are well known, and we look forward to forging another strong partnership."</p>

Spanish media reported that Alonso would earn $51.3 million per season, though Renault would not confirm the figure.</p>

Alonso had been linked with a return to Renault ever since he was released from his three-year contract with McLaren in November. A move to the French team gained momentum Friday when FIA decided against penalizing Renault for possessing confidential information about rival team McLaren.</p>

"To be honest, the first three weeks of November, I was on a much needed vacation and during which I disconnected from Formula One," Alonso said. "The decision to choose a team did not take more than a week, as me and the people close to me were clear about what we wanted."</p>

</div></p>