Fantasy Outlook: Will Nurkic Thrive?!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Haakzilla, Feb 16, 2017.

1. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

and stotts is the 1 trick pony?

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I could probably post 100 reasons why not. Here's a few:

I prioritize diversification of the team's offense over the diversification of Nurkic's offensive skills. We already have plenty of guys launching countless 3s. We have NO ONE ELSE who can dominate in the low post.

Pulling our 7' 280 lb. beast 24' from the basket completely negates his most important strength - his bigness. I don't want to see that 7' 280lb. body camped out at the 3-point line EVER. I want to see him down low, posting up, drawing fouls on opposing bigs and hitting the offensive glass. The only time he should ever be more that 15' from the basket on offense is when he's using his 280 lbs. of bulk to set a devastating screen - and then he should roll HARD to the basket EVERY time. We finally have a big player with a low post game, let's not piss it away.

Again, when he's shooting 3-pointers, he's completely out of position for getting offensive rebounds. He has a career ORB% of 12.2 - that's an elite offensive rebounder. With as many shots as this team misses, I want that camped under the basket getting us extra possessions, not 24' away toeing the 3-point line.

I'm fine with him working on the 15' - 17' midrange jump shot, which he already seems to have. That's enough to keep opposing defenses honest AND, when you're 15' from the basket, a pump fake and one dribble, or a spin move and your'e finishing at the rim, drawing fouls, etc. 24' from the rim, he's not going to be drawing any fouls, and it now takes 2 - 3 dribbles to be in position to finish at the rim. He may be light on his feet for a man his size, but that's PLENTY of time for opposing defenses to recover, cut him off and steal the ball.

Most of all, I want to see him work on perfecting the skills he has and the one key skill he lacks. He does have great low post moves, but his shooting percentages, even inside of 3' are not great. Time would be better spent working on finishing around the basket with both hands than hoisting up 3-pointers.

And, while he does have some good footwork and good low post moves, there is so much more he can add. Until he has a McHale like repertoire of low post moves, and can reliably execute those moves without turning the ball over (17.4% career TOV%) I don't want to see him shoot a single 3. That's his value add. I'd rather see him work on improving his low post moves and finishing ability than add something we already have covered and don't really need.

Finally, FT shooting. He's a career .586 FT shooter. That puts him squarely in Dwight Howard territory. Park his ass down on the low blocks and feed the beast and he will get fouled A LOT. Which would be a waste, if he can't make his FTs. I also don't want to see other teams resorting to Hack-a-Nurk - at which point, he goes from an asset to a liability. FT shooting is about learning the proper form and then shooting enough reps to develop muscle memory. Rather than spend time hoisting 50 3-pointers in practice, spend that same time shooting an extra 50 FTs. It will make you a better player and a better asset who can be left on the floor with the game on the line. Once you can reliably knock down 75% - 80% of your FTs in game situations, you can waste time dicking around at the 3-point line in practice, but not before.

BNM

3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

In the post and out to 15'.

4. Strenuus

THANK YOU.

5. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

sabonis is a fine example of a guy who could spend 95% of the time down low and still drill an occasional jumper

6. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Completely different situation. Sabonis was in his 30s by the time he played here, not a 22-year old still learning the game.

But the biggest difference were his teammates. Sabonis played with multiple low post threats while he was here. There was Sheed and BGrant, Jermaine (a little) and eventually Zach. He also had Dale Davis, Shawn Kemp, and Bonzie, who had a great post up game for a guard. So, it made sense for Sabas to play in the high post and feed these guys down low.

Nurkic is joining a team with ZERO other low post threats. He is our low post threat. Pulling him away from the basket makes zero sense. Unlike Sabonis, he should not be feeding the low post, he should be the one down there receiving those passes.

BNM

Dougnsalem, HailBlazers and Strenuus like this.
  7. Strenuus

It's called common sense. And I wonder sometimes if Stotts has it. I'm nervous he's going to do something stupid like have him shoot 3's.

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Being confident shooting from deep doesn't keep Marc Gasol from playing in the post...if it's a weakness in his skill set, adding that to his game doesn't mean he's going to camp out at the 3 pt line....I hope if he's got to shoot a 3 with the shot clock running down that he drains it....don't have a problem with any big guy being a capable three pt shooter....not the Gasols, Aldridge, Boogie, Davis, any of them....what I hope he really dials in his his free throw shooting....I don't think basketball skills need to be chronologically adapted at all.....work on your weakness...add to your game every year...sounds like a way for a 22 year old to become a great player....I don't see making a 3 pt shot in a game as dicking around....especially if you make a ton of chip shots and rebound well. I think it's wrong to project Meyers Leonard's tendencies on Nurkic

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We need shooting contrary to popular belief around here....I'm thrilled if he turns out to be a 20 10 guy and I don't care how he gets em.....people don't bitch about Boogie shooting with range

10. Strenuus

Low post or we're wasting what he would do best for us. Plain and simple.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My point is he knows that....which leads to my other point...Sabonis could hit a 3 ....without being Meyers Leonard...Boogie can hit them without being Meyers Leonard.....Rolo didn't shoot 3s.....Lamarcus didn't shoot many...ZBo shoots the 3...it doesn't make you a worse center to do that

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  12. Strenuus

And my point is we don't NEED a center like that. If stotts turns him into a 3 point shooter then he's a worse coach than I thought. He should be smart and help our weaknesses by using his strengths... anything other than that is a joke.

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

he's not going to be turned into a 3 pt shooter...but he may very well become a very good shooter....all these fearful parameters are just unnecessary

14. Strenuus

This fear is not without reasoning, though.

He can become a very good shooter, all for that. but 15' and in please.

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We need a center who can score for a change....period

Strenuus likes this.
  16. Strenuus

Agreed. just stick to the inside and we're good! We need it so badly!

riverman likes this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

He's already got the midrange and glass down...has the hook shot, the spin...he's better than Rolo, Plumlee, Davis, go down the list....I'm thrilled we have a center who can give us 20 pts or a bucket in the paint anytime you need one....I don't get the narrative that he's going to regress into JJ Redick just because he's got range.....Sabo had range, Laimbeer had range, Sheed had range...Boogie has range...I don't want him to be another DeAndre Jordan type center

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We have that covered and I couldn't be happier about it.....Ed Davis is a solid backup for Nurkic

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Just remember....he's going to take Meyers job from him....say that over and over

20. Strenuus

Mhm... it'll be even better if he's just a low post presence... we can go out and get another (better) shooter that can hit from distance.