Fantasy Outlook: Will Nurkic Thrive?!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Haakzilla, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

If you follo him on Instagram he posted videos of him working on his post ups.

This thread is dumb.

Cousins shoots jumpers all the time, would you have a problem with it if he was here? Of course not. It just opens up the court even more.

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

for us geriatrics in the room....you could use your techno wizardry and post them here for us to see? I don't even know what Instagram is...unless it's an old 70s SNL skit with a shark

dviss1 and Boob-No-More like this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I can't post it because he posted it as a "story", and I don't know how to save, or link those.

4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I consider jumpers to be in front of the 3 point line and behind the paint.

I consider a 3 point shot to be a 3 point shot.

There is a distinction. He can go from 15' and under... that would include jumpers. but NOT 3 point shots.

5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Nurkic was good in his first game as a Blazer but not good enough to have fantasies about.

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I said my needle quivered.....it may yet move...I have hope

Hobbesarable and SlyPokerDog like this.
  7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Nurkic wasn't practicing threes in those videos. That's a high school court. And I'd rather him shoot threes than those top of the key jumpers that Aldridge loved so much. That's a shit shot.

And cousins does both.

8. Strenuus

I'm glad he wasn't practicing 3's. he never should.

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

10. Strenuus

Thanks for agreeing with me.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

not agreeing with you.....it's a symbol of muting a skipping record....I want basketball players to have every basketball skill there is consistently and like it or not...shooting is one of those skills...from a dunk to a 3 pt shot, that's what makes Durant or Lebron or Cousins allstars ....if Nurkic can drain shots from everywhere....it's a plus

12. Strenuus

As long as it's 15' or below, it's smart.

*puts the needle back on the record*

dviss1 and Dougnsalem like this.
  13. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

He has the moves, but he doesn't have the "midrange and the glass down". Just look at his shooting percentages from various distances and his TOV rate. They are both well below average. He has great footwork, but he needs to work on making the moves without turning the ball over and actually making the shots at a higher percentage.

BNM

14. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Sounds like stag movies in a dark room.

riverman likes this.
  15. Boob-No-More

I care, very much how he gets them. I detailed it in my first post, but it seemed to get overlooked.

We finally have a big that plays like a big and not taking advantage of that bigness us a waste of his biggest strength.

We finally have a big that can get other bigs in foul trouble. I want to see the Blazers pound the ball into him in the low post at every opportunity, especially early in the game, to get the opposition's best rim protector and best rebounder in foul trouble. He's not going to draw any fouls on Rudy Gobert, DeAndre Jordan, Hassan Whiteside, Dwight Howard, Andre Drummond, etc. when he's shooting 3s. Every 3-pointer Nurkic shoots is a missed opportunity to draw a foul on the opposition's big man, and that's a waste of his size.

Getting the other team's best rebounder and best rim protector in foul trouble doesn't just benefit Nurkic, it benefits that entire team. Get that rim protector off the floor and it opens up the paint for Lillard and McCollum to penetrate. Get their best rebounder off the court and we get more possessions.

Nurkic is an elite offensiveness rebounder. Every 3-pointer he attempts draws him 23' from the basket. How many offensive rebounds is he going to get out there? As poorly as this team shoots, we NEED offensive rebounds to get us extra possessions. Nurkic can give us that - as long as he's not 23' from the basket shooting 3-pointers.

Nurkic has made ZERO 3-pointers in his NBA career. Obviously, it's not a strength of his. We currently have 12 other players on the roster that are better 3-point shooters than Nurkic. We currently have ZERO players on the roster who can score in the low post, get opposing bigs in foul trouble and grab offensive rebounds like Nurkic. Shooting 3-pointers negates those strengths.

So yes, I care how he gets his 20/10. It's not just about his final stat line. It's about his overall impact on the game. I want him getting the opposing big men in foul trouble and getting us extra possessions with offensive rebounds. Even if he only attempts 1 or 2 3-pointers a game, on those possessions, we as a team, are not playing to our strengths.

Bottom line, he wasn't bought here to shoot 3-pointers. We have 12 other players that shoot the 3 better than Jusuf Nurkic. Let them do their jobs and let him do his.

BNM

16. Boob-No-More

I thought it was one of those all-in-one breakfast drink mixes.

BNM

riverman likes this.
  17. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    You found a way to move the needle.

Dougnsalem and Strenuus like this.
  18. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

It'd be awesome if Nurkic can play like Sabas. That would be a weapon Stotts could use in a variety of ways while allowing other players to post up occasionally.

Don't get me wrong. I love the fact that Nurkic thrives in the key where he's extremely physical. He seems to enjoy that!

riverman likes this.
  19. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I am simply happy we have a center that has pretty decent 2-way potential with significant upside and is a bruiser, and seems "decent" already - with the "one game" caveat. Whether he reaches that "potential" remains to be seen and we have another cheap year after this to find out, Plums basically IMO had reached his ceiling and was going to get paid and we could really not keep him. And we got a 17-22 pick in this draft, there ate a lot of decent prospect bigs in the 10-24 range.

Hobbesarable likes this.
  20. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.

I hope when you are looking for a promotion at your job your boss tells you no and when you ask why not they say,

" You are great at what you do now and that's what you need to focus on, Trying to expand outside that comfort area is not what what we need from you here."

When they say something similar to this I would expect you to tell them you agree and understand their position and thank them for their time. After all you sure seem to like putting parameters and limitations on what people should be capable of doing I assume you follow that mantra yourself.

riverman likes this.