Fatal shooting of firing range instructor by 9 year old girl and an Uzi

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Further, Aug 27, 2014.

1. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

This is generally a situation that I actually support the use of firearms. A controlled environment with safety measures. Allowing a 9 year old to use an Uzi was not bright but under proper supervision and safety it could and probably has worked out. The blame falls on everyone involved though, as a parent allowing a 9 year old girl to use an uzi is pretty questionable judgement and the instructor obviously was not being safe. Really though this is just part of our gun culture, the more weapons you put in the system the more accidents and opportunity for accidents there are, they even happen to instructors and trained military vets.

The price of freedom?

Further likes this.
  2. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    The problem is this subculture in America that is centered around guns. I am a gun owner, but I don't belong to this group, most gun owners aren't part of this group. I will occasionally talk to them and there is a large heaping spoonful of paranoia and aggression in this group, and they fight tooth and nail against any common sense rule or law pertaining to guns. It's just wrong. A third grader should not be taught how to use a fully automatic weapon. I'm not sure any civilian should, but certainly not a 9 year old girl. Place the blame on the parents, place the blame on the instructor, place the blame on the range, but also place the blame on our out of whack American gun culture.

3. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I think I can get behind this. I may have went a little far earlier when I responded to Further saying it shouldn't have been none of the parents fault. I'll retract and concede that everyone involved should have blame. But I still believe that the main fault is of the establishment/instructor.

4. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Uh, ya.... your head is in the clouds, lol. So much exaggeration to try and prove what? If you like being "limited" then go live in China or something.

5. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    We should blame a flawed 2nd Amendment in the Constitution. No other civilized country legally allows such atrocities.

6. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

It is not a subculture, I have learned. It is a large part of the American culture. It frightens me.

7. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I vacillate between believing its a culture or subculture. I have certainly spoken to many gun owners who overall support their rights to own guns, but think we have gone way over the edge on disallowing common sense restrictions or laws. Due to the vast power of the NRA I think this group is viewed as larger then they really are. Most gun owners want to have handgun or shotgun for security and a few guns for hunting. Most of them aren't alarmists who spend most waking hours around guns. The group isn't small, but I think the "gun nut" group is smaller than they are portrayed.

8. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Wait, what do you mean exaggeration? You don't support tanks and nuclear devices among the citizenry? Go back to China, fascist lolololol

9. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Say what?!?! Hahahaha

Blaming the parents for the event is pretty funny. The range has instructors that are qualified to teach people how to shoot. As blue said, the age requirement was 8. She was 9. The parents may have not asked to even shoot the Uzi. They left it in the discretion of the instructor because he was more qualified to know what a child is used to.

To assume that the 9 year old murdered the instructor is silly IMO. And maybe the blame is on the parents for allowing their child to shoot a fully automatic weapon, but most that blame is on the instructor.

10. magnifier661

You know that's such a straw man statement! Come on you are better than that!

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
  12. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Anyone who thinks that the kid was brought to the shooting range for "training" is fooling themselves. The opportunity to use a fully automatic firearm is nothing more that a thrill event, like bungee jumping. I don't agree with the parents' choice to have their kid participate in such an activity, but I support their right to do it.

I agree that the blame for this incident falls more on the range and the instructor than on the parents. Yes, it wouldn't have happened if they hadn't brought their kid in, but they did so under the presupposition that the range had done everything necessary to protect itself and its patrons from the inherent hazards of the activity. Clearly, that didn't happen.

13. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    It really isn't, because the thrust of blue's comment was "uzis are fine because we is free people and limits are Chinese"...but almost everyone has limits. Somewhere between 99-100% of the population would favor not allowing nuclear weapons to be legally possessed by citizens. The question is not "Are we free or not," because the answer is always "Not totally, thus we have laws." The question is "where should the limits be," and whether uzis belong on this side of the limit or that side is a perfectly reasonable thing to question.

14. magnifier661

Well most are in favor of some sort of gun control. Call me crazy, but I really think owning Uzi's aren't even in the same realm as a nuke.

I think the incident has no relevance on taking an Uzi away from the people.

15. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Lost in all the strawman arguments being made against guns is the fact this range has been open for 14 years without accident or murder. Clearly there's a use aside from killing for guns (14 years worth of thousands of customers' uses).

16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The nuke argument is a joke. Who can afford one?

Iran with its national income and wealth hasn't been able to complete one yet. Good luck with minstrel doing it on his salary or savings.

17. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I agree mostly, but I do think it might be a good idea to place some restrictions on what types on guns certain aged kids should be permitted. Perhaps fully auto weapons should be restricted to those over 18, or perhaps somewhere in between, like 14 years old.

18. magnifier661

Well technically there is. The law states that 18 and over can own rifles and 21 and over handguns.

19. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    They haven't because it's illegal. If everything were free markets, Iran would just spend the couple billion to the companies That specialize in nukes, and make them for western powers.

20. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Obviously owning an uzi isn't the same as owning a nuke, I was using nuclear weaponry as an example that (almost) all of us would agree is over the line to show that we (almost) all have limits. Considering the wide disparity in opinion on this forum on gun control, it required something extreme to find something we'd (almost) all agree on.

My point wasn't that uzis are just as dangerous as nuclear weapons, only that the debate isn't whether we, as a "free people," should have limits or not (as blue32 was essentially arguing)...but rather, where the limits should be.