Fatal shooting of firing range instructor by 9 year old girl and an Uzi

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Further, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    You and I actually have similar views regarding firearm laws. I don't wish to outlaw guns, but I do think background checks should be mandated for every sale. I also want it to be easier for loved ones or health professionals to get at least temporary holds on people's rights to own guns. So if a parent of a 25 year old goes to the cops afraid their child is about to do something deadly with their weapons, they should be able to get the guns removed until a psychologist says they are not a danger to themselves or society.

I'm also not sure about a couple issues, magazine capacity limits and being able to get fully auto with a tax stamp. I'm not for or against on these. I love having 15 rounds in my HK USP, but I also don't think it's necessary, and shooting an AR with 250 round drum seems a bridge too far.

I guess I'm still just mulling over all the individual issues under the gun control tent.

2. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I never said we didn't, I was responding to someone (blue32) who felt that limits were for China. And what the limits should be are always worth debating.

So you mean basically what I said here?

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

How many people have been killed because of a registered machine gun? I'm willing to bet that this guy is one of a very small number of people. Machine guns are expensive. They're expensive to buy and expensive to shoot. Plus the stamp takes a really long time. Machine guns are not a problem in this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MadeFromDust

MadeFromDust Well-Known Member

Not to mention illegal. Who mentally unstable enough to attack people with a fully automatic weapon is capable of acquiring one legally? I can't recall that happening ever.

6. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I think you are correct on everything you stated. But I just worry that one of these movie theater or school campus shooters will get their hands on one and instead of killing a half dozen, end up killing several times more. Perhaps it's an irrational fear. I am certainly for being able to get suppressors with a stamp, that would make hunting better and shooting with friends much nicer, to get rid of that dangerous noise. But I see little benefit to the full auto. As I said, I'm not on either side, just thinking about these issues.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. Natebishop3

They're a finite item because technically machine guns are illegal, but you can purchase one that was made before the ban took effect. A Thompson for example costs around 20k. Who has that kind of money laying around?

8. MadeFromDust

Guns are illegal in Chicago where there is more gun violence than any city in America. "Gun-Free Zones" are the places where the most gun violence occurs. In Switzerland 1 in 2 citizens own a firearm. Lowest crime rate in the world.

I'm curious how anti-gun advocates will react to these facts.

9. Natebishop3

Even a mac10 is around 4 or 5k. Your standard issue maniac doesn't have that kind of money. Plus, they're a bullet hose. The firing rate and aim is completely ineffective. They would have to reload constantly. An AR would actually be much more effective.

10. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I guess the way things are with the tax stamp is ok. At least for now, I don't see this being an issue. See, common sense can work. Bring up a topic and think it through. But the all in or all out crowds aren't helping.

11. MadeFromDust

You also need a Class III license, which not just anyone can get. I'm all for laws which keep people who can't handle firearms from getting them, but when you realize that the laws that are already in place will prevent most of this from happening if properly carried out (which doesn't always happen), then there is no need to formulate laws that punish the vast majority of Americans who are responsible with their guns.

12. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

This just happened yesterday:

Klamath County sheriff's Deputy Jason Weber was shot and seriously wounded during a traffic stop in Klamath Falls Wednesday

13. The_Lillard_King

I would hate to know that number if they were legal.

I think this is a good example of gun control working

14. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known Member

I haven't read the thread, but I'd bet money that nobody tries to justify putting a full auto weapon in the hands of a child. This isn't a constitutional issue, it's a stupid issue.

But feel free to continue to make up stupid shit about it.

Go Blazers

15. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known Member

To shoot back at people? For full auto competitions? For collections to go on your wall?

It takes a Federal Firearms License to own a MG, it's not like you can get one at Bi Mart.

How often do you hear of killings with a full auto rifle? Think that could be due to the fact that FFL owners are law abiding citizens?

It was stupid to hand that kind of gun to a child. It's a tragedy for the little girl, who has to live with this.

Go Blazers

16. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/switzerland.asp

17. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I implied being limited by your government is more Chinese (Chinese-like). Since you were saying we the American people needed to be limited. You didn't go into details, so I assume you meant harsh limits; I guess now you are backing down to make the argument suit your needs and attack my semantics. That's fine. But while I am mature enough to understand that everyone has to have minimal limits (like rules on regulating nukes, etc), being able to fire Uzi's at an official gun range with certified instructors should not be one of those limits/rules that government needs to step in on.

My whole point was that the fault mainly lies with the gun range for not having adequate steps in place to allow for users like this young girl to at least work her way up certain gun types to certify herself to shoot a Fully Auto gun.

Much like how you would need to take tests in order to get your license, and then certify to race on certain courses, etc.

18. The_Lillard_King

I live by the motto: Let the consumer beware!

19. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Indeed you did. Whereas being limited by your government is "every society"-like.

Gun control is not about "free people" vs. China. It's about society deciding where the line should be, collectively.

20. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I'm fine with a 30 round clip! :D