Feyenoord thrown out of Uefa Cup

Discussion in 'Europe' started by dycdan, Jan 19, 2007.

1. dycdan

dycdan DYC please wait...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size="2">Tottenham's next Uefa Cup opponents Feyenoord have been excluded from this season's competition.

</font> <font size="2">Uefa has banished the Dutch club after the crowd trouble during their match in France against Nancy on 30 November.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>
    <font size="2">The group stage game had to be stopped for half an hour because of trouble in the stands as Feyenoord trailed 3-0.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>
    <font size="2">Feyenoord were set to play Tottenham in the last 32 knockout stage of the Uefa Cup but Spurs are now likely to get a bye into the next round.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>
    <font size="2">Feyenoord had originally been fined ?81,000 and handed a suspended sentence to play two matches in an empty stadium.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>
    <font size="2">"This is a huge slap in the face for the club," said Feyenoord financial director Onno Jacobs.</div>Good news for Tottenham. [​IMG]
    </font>

2. Cameron

Cameron DYC Hot prospect

Yep, good news for Tottenham.. However another club should be replace with Feyeooord I reckon..

3. Kenny_Red

Kenny_Red DYC 1st team Reserves

It is very interesting that Feyenoord have been excluded from the Uefa Cup because of their supporters causing trouble at their match in France against Nancy. Is this an example of Uefa flexing its muscle against clubs that cannot control their supporters either at home or away fixtures? If it is, Rangers, Celtic and some other Scottish clubs whose supporters sing or chant sectarian songs had better be very careful.

It was only last year that Rangers were fined £13,300 and severely censured by UEFA yesterday over sectarian chanting by their supporters. Rangers also received a strongly-worded warning about their fans' future conduct.

The question I pose is have Rangers fans changed their behaviour by no longer singing sectarian songs and, if they have not, then should Uefa take strong action against the Club and even excluded them from European football.

Let me be very clear, this is not a case of Rangers bashing as I have heard Celtic, Hibernian and disturbingly Hearts fans singing sectarian chants at some of the games that I have attended this season. I am willing to accept that it is a small minority of supporters but the point is that sectarianism is still rife within Scottish football and in my view some Old Firm supporters are the worst offenders.

If the Old Firm were to be excluded by Uefa from European football then it will have enormous consequences, both sporting and financial for both clubs and Scottish football at large. What are your views?

4. C.Ronaldo

C.Ronaldo Key Squad player

Well done Tottenham... I thought they were gonna win but now they can rest and win! [​IMG]

5. gunnerz

gunnerz DYC Forza La Bianconeri

bit unfair punishing the whole club because they have a few cockheads fans.
    Feyenoord are a pretty cool side to watch, so that really sucks.
    Tottenham got pretty lucky getting a bye, but, weird shit can happen in football. I am suprised saying this, but i actually want the spurs to win...[​IMG]