Fifth Game of the Playoff Series: Houston @ Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Dan Le, May 2, 2005.

1. Dan Le

Dan Le JBB JustBBall Member

<div align="center">[​IMG]

2. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

I think that it might be a good idea to insert Mike James into the starting lineup and play McGrady at the 4. We need to outsmall them. Nowitski has been allowed to just float on defense, but we need to force him to matchup against a real offensive weapon (will all do respect to Bowen and Padgett ... ok, maybe not so much respect). Mike James seems to play a bit better as a starter, and McGrady has proven to be our best defender on Nowitzki. We won the rebounding battle in the last game starting Padgett over Bowen, but it didn't matter. Maybe, for whatever reason, perimeter quickness is more important for us this series than rebounding. You hate to make drastic changes this late in the game, but sometimes that's what is needed to get the extra boost of energy.

Getting a big game from Yao is obviously important, but the story of the season has been a difficulty in getting him the ball. The best way I can think of to counter act that is just spread the floor with good perimeter shooters and force them to play against Yao one on one. And stress that he be alert and ready to catch the lob pass in traffic in case they decide to front him.

I'l predict another highly competitive game that will be decided (again) by fourth quarter execution and good fortune. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch this game on TV live because of a final, but I'll be recording. Hopefully I'll return home to something pleasant.

3. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

I just checked the Rockets Game Notes and they have Scott Padgett starting again. I think they plan to have McGrady at the 4 and Padgett at the 3. This gives the Rockets 4 three point shooters. This stretches the defense and now defenders wont be able to leave anyone open. They were double teaming McGrady and Yao alot with Bowen. This starting lineup didnt work that well the last game but hopefully the Rockets can get going early.

4. samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick JBB JustBBall Member

Dallas has a lot of momentum and confidence right now and I know that Houston has a lot more on there minds than the Mavs. Dirk had his private practice with his German coach yesterday and Dirk always excells when Holdger is in the crowd cheering him on. Dirk wont go for 53 again but 52 sounds about right, in a Dallas Blowout.

Dallas- 112
    Houston- 90

5. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

Itll take a lot for the rockets to win tonight. We have to be consistent most of all. Fouth quarter collapses have costed us the last two games (at exactly 88 points!!) so we have to get more clutch. Also, defend the arc, we have to keep this a defensive game and so far in the series, the mavs have had no problem hitting 3s.
    I am praying for a win tonight because a loss today would really put away the series.
    Rockets, please, 105-100

6. kingrex

kingrex JBB JustBBall Member

With each game, the intensity level rises. So, I expect this to be the most intense game of them all. It will be another close game. These teams know each other too well for there to be another blowout.

Houston needs to find a way to score more efficiently in the 4th quarter which probably means more shots for McGrady.

McGrady will go nuts, so Dallas needs to prevent Yao from repeating his game 2 performance which means making him work harder. They might do this by mixing in Henderson/Dampier and even Bradley (as long as McGrady is on the bench).

Dallas 99
    Houston 98

7. magnetik

magnetik JBB JustBBall Member

Don't forget Dallas' new sixth man off the bench.

Mark Cuban

[​IMG]

8. Ehz7

Ehz7 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting magnetik:</div><div class="quote_post">Don't forget Dallas' new sixth man off the bench.

Mark Cuban

[​IMG]</div>

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/200...hotos/cuban.jpg

Mark subs for Dirk, and proceeds to walk with the ball and charge into Yao, which forces the officials to foul Yao

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Looks like Van Gundy's fine is paying off some. So far the game is being called fair on both ends and Dampier got into foul trouble right away. T-Mac looks a little tired tonight though, but Dirk is having ANOTHER off night.

10. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

BTW - Great preview.

What happened to Ryan Bowen in this game?

11. ronin

ronin JBB JustBBall Member

you can see that finley stepped out of bound before stealing the ball... congratz mark cuban.. you have successfully made the ref to back your team.

12. magnetik

magnetik JBB JustBBall Member

what's up with the blind referees? stackhouse came totally from out of bounds on that play? it wasn't even close.

13. ronin

ronin JBB JustBBall Member

again, when we want to trap finley, they call it a foul, thanks again cuban..

14. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">What happened to Ryan Bowen in this game?</div>

Good question! They started Ryan Bowen in the first two games so he could guard Dirk and they won those games. They started Padgett in the last two games, used McGrady as the primary defender on Dirk and they've seen their fourth quarter production drop and lost the last two games. You'd think they'd notice a pattern...

15. chineseafro

chineseafro JBB JustBBall Member

Those refs need to be fired.

Bad officiating is one thing. BLANTANTLY bad officiating is another.

16. WaterBleu

WaterBleu JBB JustBBall Member

arg.....that was sooo close..

17. ksc6000

ksc6000 JBB JustBBall Member

THAT was some of the WORST officiating I've seen since the Kings got screwed by the refs in the 2002 Western conference Finals. Usually I defend the referees and I dont' complain if it doens't relaly seem that the game was decided by the referees. But this was just absoultely ridiculous. I'm out of words, I can't even explain how pissed off I am right now.

18. WaterBleu

WaterBleu JBB JustBBall Member

I hate the ref...give away two point when it should be Houston's ball

19. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

McGrady is called for a weak foul on Dirk = 1 or 2 pts

Finley steals ball from out of bounds which leads to FT = 2 pts

Rockets lose by 3.......

20. RogueNine

RogueNine JBB JustBBall Member

Regardless of the officiating (AND FINLEY WAS OUT OF BOUNDS WHEN HE SLAPPED THAT BALL)