Fifth Game of the Playoff Series: Houston @ Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Dan Le, May 2, 2005.

1. kingrex

kingrex JBB JustBBall Member

I agree bad calls in game 5.

I don't agree that bad calls cost Houston that game. For example, the phantom foul on Padgett against Finley with 16 seconds to go actually worked out better for Houston. Why? Because Finley could have held on to that ball and allowed more time to go down, then they would have had to foul him anyway.

The Finley-slap down from out of bounds was big, but I believe missing five free throws in the fourth quarter was even bigger as some have already mentioned above.

It was a hotly contested game 5, and I have no doubt Houston will be even more fired up for game 6 on their home floor. They can NOT allow the belief that the refs are against them to permiate in their heads, or else I belive it will negatively affect their game. I hope for another good game, and also hope that the refs call a better game.

2. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

First off the reason we lost the game was because of poor FT shooting,poor rebounding, and defensive collapses.............but the referees were in one word......BAD........I haven't seen officiating that bad since game 6 of the 2002 WCF........they dictated the whole game with their whistles........just think about it like this Yao has dominated when he's on the floor, by the refs calling little ticky tack fouls on him, that takes him off the floor and out of the game......and Dirk Nowitzki gets away with murder....he racked up about 10 fouls last night, but they only managed to call 5 on him...........I honestly don't blame JVG for calling the NBA out like he did, because the officiating was terrible last night, from phantom calls, to missed calls,to bad tosses; they were horendous in every aspect.

3. magnetik

magnetik JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kingrex:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree bad calls in game 5.

I don't agree that bad calls cost Houston that game. For example, the phantom foul on Padgett against Finley with 16 seconds to go actually worked out better for Houston. Why? Because Finley could have held on to that ball and allowed more time to go down, then they would have had to foul him anyway.

The Finley-slap down from out of bounds was big, but I believe missing five free throws in the fourth quarter was even bigger as some have already mentioned above.

It was a hotly contested game 5, and I have no doubt Houston will be even more fired up for game 6 on their home floor. They can NOT allow the belief that the refs are against them to permiate in their heads, or else I belive it will negatively affect their game. I hope for another good game, and also hope that the refs call a better game.</div>

I think they could have grabbed the ball while trapping him... resulting in a jump ball situation.. which is the reason they didn't foul right away... which is what they were probably hoping for.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Here it is again.

5. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

^ wow, looks like the refs were terrible last night. In the clutch, they made too many terrible calls and costed the rockets the game. It will be hard to take game 6 now.

6. chineseafro

chineseafro JBB JustBBall Member

A lot of ticky tack fouls were called against the rockets, yet the mavericks got away with them.

7. ronin

ronin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting chineseafro:</div><div class="quote_post">A lot of ticky tack fouls were called against the rockets, yet the mavericks got away with them.</div>

credits to Cuban for that.. i bet he's laughing his ass out rite now seeing that his team getting the calls he want from the ref.

8. kingrex

FYi - Here are the number of fouls called on each team for game 5:
    Hou - 25
    Dal - 26

9. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kingrex:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree bad calls in game 5.

I don't agree that bad calls cost Houston that game. For example, the phantom foul on Padgett against Finley with 16 seconds to go actually worked out better for Houston. Why? Because Finley could have held on to that ball and allowed more time to go down, then they would have had to foul him anyway.</div>

We could have tied him up and gotten a jump ball.

10. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Yeah, there were definitely a lot of arguable calls on Houston- from the one depicted above to many others. However, what are you going to do about it? The games already over and I personally think its time to move on to fight our hardest for the next game. I mean, potentially Houston can get eliminated next game, so they have to come out firing.

As for this game, I thought Houston played pretty hard, except that we started tiring through the last two quarters. The guys were slow moving off screens, leaving wide open three pointers. I definitely think we need to up our defense more and grab rebounds. I can't remember how many times Dallas had offensive rebounds and made us pay for it. And lastly, I'd like to say that Yao really needs to be clutch sometimes. It was just so disappointing that he missed those five freethrows in a row. Unexceptable. He could have put us within two in this one play I perfectly remember. Best of luck to Houston for next game.

11. magnetik

magnetik JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kingrex:</div><div class="quote_post">FYi - Here are the number of fouls called on each team for game 5:
    Hou - 25
    Dal - 26</div>

yeah.. but the questions is the "legit" calls... I can tell you now.. that the out of bounds one and the trap one was NOT legit... Who knows about the other calls...

12. jean

jean JBB JustBBall Member

I wanna cry!
    Referees sucks!
    Tmac and Yao, you should save us and kill the Referees!

13. kingrex

The Rockets scored 32 points in the 4th quarter. Yao and T-Mac looked like they were figuring things out. This worries me as a Mavs fan. I thought Houston outplayed Dallas in the 4th quarter.

14. RogueNine

RogueNine JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kingrex:</div><div class="quote_post">The Rockets scored 32 points in the 4th quarter. Yao and T-Mac looked like they were figuring things out. This worries me as a Mavs fan. I thought Houston outplayed Dallas in the 4th quarter.</div>
    I thought we did to (unless you count those missed free throws [​IMG] ) There where just some big things that happened down the stretch. Dirk putting back that missed shot at the end really helped. Maybe someone could clarify when and what for me; I remember what I believe was a fast break near the end of the game, maybe the 3'rd quarter, where a Mavs guy took the ball straight to the basket and our defense basically stepped out of the way. Am I going crazy or did this actually happen?

15. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Has there ever been a playoff series where 4 straight games were decided by less than 5 points? That seems amazing to me. Maybe someone can do some research on that. [​IMG]

16. ronin

ronin JBB JustBBall Member

it's our fault to let go game 3 and 4 but in game 5... please.. we could win or at least force it to overtime if only the ref did their job decently

17. chineseafro

chineseafro JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kingrex:</div><div class="quote_post">FYi - Here are the number of fouls called on each team for game 5:
    Hou - 25
    Dal - 26</div>

The majority of those fouls were called on Dampier and the players trying to cover Yao.

18. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

You would think, with all the "experience" the Rockets have, they would be able to take this game. The Fact of the Matter is, that we should've carried ourselves, even if, the Refs screwed us over. Yao missed too many freethrows, and it was obvious why .. He wasn't bending his legs. As a coach, or a player, you have to spot those small details and let the guy know about it. I am 100% sure that if Yao bent his legs, all of those would've gone in. Even if Finley unfairly knocked the ball out, Barry should've turned his back.

That being said, the Refs really screwed us over. Firstly, I have no idea how none of the Refs didn't see Finley out of bounds. That call was so wrong, it wasn't even disputable. He was WELL out of bounds when he touched it.

Bad call number two. Dirk should've fouled out. He fouled Yao the second time Yao missed his freethrows. He would've been fouled out had he been called for it, but instead, Terry runs out and raises his hand, to protect Dirk. This call, could've been on Terry, but there is no doubt in my mind that Nowitzki fouled Yao.

Bad call number three. Padgett fouling Finley. This was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. Van Gundy told his players to foul, but in truth, that meant do not foul. He was drawing up a trick play similar to the one against the Spurs when Devin Brown lost it on the baseline. Padgett runs up to Finley, in the corner, and puts his arm on him. Now the Refs, were going by the fact that Van Gundy was screaming foul, not by the actual play. Even though that was an "honest" mistake, it was still a terrible call, and far from a playoff foul.