Final Four Preview: CSKA Moscow vs Tau Ceramica

Discussion in 'International Basketball' started by M Two One, May 2, 2008.

1. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    [​IMG] <span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">vs</span> [​IMG]

Two of the biggest European basketball clubs are about to face off (live on NBA TV) in what should be a clash to remember for a long time. From the beginning of the season it was obvious that both CSKA and Tau are superior clubs and were not going to allow new faces to take over. Both clubs are now in the final four of the Euroleague competition and may look forward to another big clash in the final against Maccabi Elite, a staying power, or Montepaschi Siena, a new face in the big ranks.

CSKA Moscow did not have an easy time throughout the group stages of the Euroleague this season. While they dominantly outscored their closest competition, Barcelona still managed to keep it close down to the wire. Tau on the other hand blew by their group stage with only one loss to their record. Also consider that Tau had a tougher group and this should give any opponent fair warning that the Spanish side is here to win it all.

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">CSKA Moscow</span>

Without a doubt CSKA Moscow have an edge based on overall talent. Their team play is superb and their head coach Ettore Messina is top class in Europe with the type of talent to coach in the NBA. With all of this, it is difficult to see them losing this match tonight. However, Messina will need his team to be focused and be sure to get a class game out of each of his key players. David Andersen has had a superb Euroleague season so far and easily ousted predicted center power Tomas Van Den Spiegel from the starting five from the beginning.

CSKA Moscow do not have a superb point guard this season as Theodoros Papaloukas has been a bit of a disappointment considering the level of talent he had shown at his previous club. Many predicted bigger things from the veteran. Good news is that Nikos Zisis is coming into the fold and may start tonight if CSKA Moscow do not decide to go big and start Langdon at the point. This could happen, but for now I'm going with the lineup listed below.

Team captains Ramunas Siskauskas and Matjaz Smodis are having superb seasons so far and will be the key factors to CSKA's success tonight. If they do not produce, there is no way the Russian side can overcome the teamwork of Tau Ceramica. Look for the these two players, as well as Andersen and Langdon to get the offense going.

Predicted Starters

C David Andersen
    [​IMG]

F Matjaz Smodis
    [​IMG]

F Marcus Goree
    [​IMG]

G Ramunas Siskauskas
    [​IMG]

G Nikos Zisis
    [​IMG]

Head coach: Ettore Messina
    Other key players: Trajan Langdon, J.R. Holden and Theodoros Papaloukas

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Tau Ceramica</span>

This team has a history of producing solid players such as Andrés Nocioni, so be on the lookout tonight for future NBA stars. Tiago Splitter may be one of them. The towering forward/center is going to be one of the two main factors to Tau winning this game. The other being the team captain, Igor Rakocevic. In my opinion, the veteran Serbian has been the best point guard throughout the current Euroleague season and will prove that to everyone tonight.

Other key factors for Tau is simply that they are a great unit. Their strong teamwork is above and beyond any other's in the Euroleague, as it has been for a few years now. They often rotate starting players in two or three positions in order to give everyone that little boost of confidence that sparks the offense and the defense. Everyone seems to know their place on the club.

While Tau do not have as strong of a bench as CSKA Moscow does, they do have some surprises. Pablo Prigioni has starter potential and will likely be used as a shooting guard tonight. The only problem with this lineup is that Tau will leave themselves with a smaller team because Pete Mickeal is likely to be subbed out and guard Zoran Planinic will move to small forward. The offense will really be tested, but their superb passing will likely get them going.

Predicted Starters

C Tiago Splitter
    [​IMG]

F Mirza Teletovic
    [​IMG]

F Pete Mickeal
    [​IMG]

G Zoran Planinic
    [​IMG]

G Igor Rakocevic
    [​IMG]

Head coach: Neven Spahija
    Other key players: Pablo Prigioni and Will McDonald

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Predictions</span>

While I do love Tau's teamwork and overall play I can't overlook CSKA Moscow. I think the Russian side will come out on top due to their strong depth. Let me put it this way, when a former NBA player like Viktor Khryapa is not even in your top eight class, then you know you're one heck of a European powerhouse basketball club. CSKA definitely has the talent to compete with some of the better NBA teams at the moment.

2. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Rooting for Tau for two reasons. First of all, can't root for the Russians since they haven't recognized my country. [​IMG]

Second reason is because Spahija coaches Tau. (he's croatian/albanian mixed)

GO CERAMICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way M21, great preview, its fantastic.

3. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

Again, thanks a lot for the preview Chris. I didn't really have time today to to both (even my Maccabi vs Siena one was rushed), so you really saved me today.

Anyway, since I want Maccabi to lose in the Finals, I'm rooting for CSKA. They have better individual talents than Tau, and as Maccabi proved vs Siena today, you'd better have that in order to beat them. McIntyre alone just wasn't enough.

4. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    No problem, I needed to do some writing as it has been a while.

Also to everyone, don't forget <u>the game is about to start on NBA TV</u> in the USA!

5. CelticKing

Glad that NBATV picked it up.

Wish that ESPN would get some games in the future from the Euro League.

6. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Zoran looks pretty solid. Theodoros is definately NBA material but 12th man at that.

Tiago cannot hit a free throw. I don't know if it's the elbow or what.

7. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Tough game as predicted. CSKA were in trouble for a while, but have stormed back. Tau is still hanging tough and look as though they have a considerable chance at winning this game.

Update: Currently the Danish star David Andersen is 8 for 8 from the field with 16 points!

8. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    That's it, CSKA Moscow move on to the final against Maccabi Elite.

Final score ..

83 CSKA Moscow v Tau Ceramica 79

9. CelticKing

Too bad Ceramica didn't make it.

Good luck in the final CSKA.