Final Team USA Roster Released

Discussion in 'PyeongChang 2018' started by Hunter, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>CHICAGO -- MVP Kobe Bryant will be heading to his first Olympics, and he'll have LeBron James and Dwyane Wade with him.

They will lead a U.S. Olympic basketball team that was announced Monday -- one that hopes to capture the gold medal in Beijing in August after a third-place showing in Athens four years ago. They'll have plenty of help.

Carmelo Anthony and Jason Kidd were among the 12 players placed on the squad. They were joined by Tayshaun Prince, Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Michael Redd and Deron Williams.

"It was a very difficult selection process," USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo said during a news conference. "When you have as many outstanding players as we have in this country -- to select a group of 12 is obviously going to leave out a number of outstanding people."

The team was selected without a tryout. It will have a minicamp this week in Las Vegas and reconvene there July 20-25 to train and play an exhibition against Canada before heading overseas.

The Americans open Olympic play against China on Aug. 10.</div>

Link

Final 12
    Carmelo Anthony*
    Jason Kidd*
    Carlos Boozer
    Chris Paul
    Chris Bosh
    Tayshaun Prince
    Kobe Bryant*
    Michael Redd
    Dwight Howard*
    Dwyane Wade
    LeBron James*
    Deron Williams

* Denotes probable starters

2. Dark Defender

Dark Defender The Dark Passenger

Part-Time Intern, Full Time Student
    I can't believe Wade is playing, the Heat must be loving that decision.

3. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Wow, this team seems pretty lame without Miller and Chandler.

Boozer, Redd, Prince? Psht. LAME. They better win gold.

Seriously though, no Chandler? What the hell's up with that?

4. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Red was needed too stretch the Defense.

Can you imagine if Duncan wanted to play?

Kidd, Kobe, LeBron, Dwight, Duncan.

5. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Why isn't Miller on the roster? Wasn't he lighting it up last year, instead of Redd, or am I imagining this?

6. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

Miller was the worst player on that team, he just gets abused on defense.

7. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 23 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Miller was the worst player on that team, he just gets abused on defense.</div>

He's still better than Redd.

8. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 23 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 23 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Miller was the worst player on that team, he just gets abused on defense.</div>

</div>

Yes, but Redd is the better shooter and team USA needs that one zone buster.

9. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 23 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 23 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 23 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Miller was the worst player on that team, he just gets abused on defense.</div>

</div>

Yes, but Redd is the better shooter and team USA needs that one zone buster.
    </div>

Gerry McNamara.

10. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 23 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 23 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>

Yes, but Redd is the better shooter and team USA needs that one zone buster.</div>

Gerry McNamara.
    </div>

I think you mispelled J.J. Redick.

Miller was a defensive liability, Redd is a better pure shooter and more athletic. It is interesting to me that they are only taking three bigs to Beijing. If we have a bad game and our bigs get in foul trouble, look for Lebron or Carmelo to see some minutes at the four.

11. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunter @ Jun 24 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 23 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jun 23 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>
    Yes, but Redd is the better shooter and team USA needs that one zone buster.</div>

Gerry McNamara.
    </div>

I think you mispelled J.J. Redick.

Miller was a defensive liability, Redd is a better pure shooter and more athletic. It is interesting to me that they are only taking three bigs to Beijing. If we have a bad game and our bigs get in foul trouble, look for Lebron or Carmelo to see some minutes at the four.
    </div>

Who's this JJ Redick guy? Oh, you're talking about that overrated college SG that's not doing anything in the NBA ever. You just wait, Gerry's gonna come in and pwn.

Oh, and Redd's just as much of a defensive liability. That's why I'm puzzled.

12. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Well as far as I remember, Miller was disappointing last year from long range.

13. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Did Shane Battier even get an invite? [​IMG]

It's a shame he isn't on the roster. He could have provided us with a deep threat and great defense, to go along with his leadership

14. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

Battier's not playing because he had surgery.

Melo's starting at the 4. He sees the majority of his minutes at the 4.