Finish this sentence: "If I were Stotts, for game 5 I would..."

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Apr 27, 2015.

1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

In all seriousness I wouldn't let Blake or AA off the bench. Frazier would take Blake's minutes - he couldn't possibly play any worse. And he is the best passer on our team, and passing has been SORELY lacking.
    There are several options for replacing AA. The obvious choice is to start CJ, but I actually like his change-of-pace off the bench - although our starters could certainly use some help. But I think I'd go with an unconventional move and start Gee in order to keep CJ's energy coming in when some starters go out. Adding Gee to the starting line-up gives us two quality defenders on the perimeter. Stick Lillard on Tony Allen and let Gee or Nic guard their PG while the other guards Lee. Gee's energy will create some turnovers that could result in easy points. But Stotts doesn't like easy points or creating turnovers so we can pretty much guarantee that Gee won't get any PT.

UKRAINEFAN and PtldPlatypus like this.
  2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I still wish we had started Gee when Wes went down. Sadly you're right; he won't get off the bench.

3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Send Blake packing

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Harsh! lol

5. PtldPlatypus

You mean, leave him in Portland? Don't let him on the plane!

illmatic99 likes this.
  6. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    "...fly to Memphis with the team."

7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

You think LMA flew down there on his own?

8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I'm sure there's more to this than what's been reported, but in a vacuum, that was such a bitch move by LA.

9. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I think he would be fine 3rd string, but he has shown us nothing in the playoffs; and I love Blakey... :(

10. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Start putting in applications to other NBA jobs. :ghoti:

blue9 likes this.
  11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Not start Meyers (who played EXCELLENT FUCKING DEFENSE ON GASOL) or CJ (who was going to THE RACK) because we need their bench production.

Sedatedfork and BBert like this.
  12. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Stotts has done as you wish the past 4 games. The last game, doing as you suggest in the second half, took us from a seven point lead to a 10 deficit. No, put your shooter on the floor, and instruct the team to get Meyers shots, especially Damian, CJ, and Lamarcus. Meyers will prevent the gang from meeting when Lamarcus has the ball, but it will probably take a pass or two from Lamarcus to Meyers when they gang up on Lamarcus. Rolo can not play that role. Perhaps Freeland can from mid range. Damian can play pick n roll and pick n pop all day with Meyers but he doesn't. Hell that alone would get him a ton of clean drives to the hoop.

13. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

Olshey gave every player the choice to fly back beforehand... I fail to see how taking him up on his offer is a bitch move...

14. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

I don't know what it is, but it seems like Memphis make us waste so much time on the clock in our offensive sets. I am not a basketball coach so I don't know what the solution is, but if you can't get into an offensive rhythm early in the game I fear that this team will not have what it takes to win in Memphis. It is demoralizing when you have to work so hard to get off what turns out to be a pretty poor shot and your rebounders are not in position to catch the carom. I guess my answer is to get high low game going with Leonard at the top of the key and Aldridge on the elbow. It's a new twist and maybe it gets our rebounders in better position.

15. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

What are you guys referring to?

16. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

After game 2 in MEM Olshey said POR would leave in the morning but if any players wanted to leave that night they could pay their own way. LMA did.

17. EGame

EGame "You're the only one of these fools I trust"

Also Stotts needs to figure out how to stop getting us in holes of 10 points or more. In the regular season, especially against lesser teams it may work out, but in the playoffs you will just get embarrassed. We got ran over last year by the Spurs in all but one game. Thus far we have been run over by the Grizzlies in all but one game. If we get down big to Memphis in game 5 it is over. No crowd to feed on to propel us to a comeback. If a playoff team that plays good defense gets a lead they will keep it and our coach needs to figure out how to make it so we stay with them throughout the game.

Hell even Houston had big leads against us in the playoffs last year, but they blew them because they don't play the defense that San Antonio last year did or Memphis has thus far. He. Needs. To. Figure. It. Out.

18. PtldPlatypus

Remember, we started out very strong in game 2 and took an early 10-2 lead, and had a 21-15 lead with about 3 minutes left in the first quarter. Memphis didn't take the lead until the second quarter, during that 6-minute scoreless span. And it's not as if we didn't have our best players in there during that stretch. They just didn't make plays. I don't think you can put that one on Stotts.

Eastoff likes this.
  19. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Sad but true department: our only hope is for Lillard to go crazy and play the type of hero ball Westbrick gets blasted for.

20. EGame

EGame "You're the only one of these fools I trust"

Oh I didn't get to watch game 2 so I was unaware. I just assumed as such because we ended up losing by like 15 or something like that I believe. Even still this is an issue since Stotts has been our coach. We need to figure out how to not get down so big and if we happen to get a big lead, figure out how to not blow it which we have also done multiple times this season.