FIRE CRONIN

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Feb 4, 2022.

1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Steve Ballmer + Jody Allen + Microsoft?

2. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

100% we'd be a better team from a talent standpoint today if we didnt' make the move.

Would we have blessings over ownership to go in the tax next year if we didn't get under this week? I doubt it.
    Would we be in the best position to obtain a top 5 pick if we kept Norm/Cov? I doubt it.

Maybe you were one of the people who liked the idea of running it back over and over and over, while slightly over paying for marginal role players. At some point, we were going to have to pay a price for all those made moves. This is the start of that price. It's not over.

3. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I like where your head is at... this is very good!

4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yep

Portland could have sent Powell to New Orleans for a better 2nd round pick and taken 16.7M off next year's payroll instead of 6.1M

5. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    We’re stupid of course Powel had no real trade value he scores 18 ppg with Toronto and us. He scores from 3 levels and shoots extremely well from 3. He’s known to be a decent defender (when he plays his natural position). Have to think we got lucky to dump not only him but Roco for 3 bench players and 2nd round pick.

blazerkor likes this.
  6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

What if they didn't even tell him?

7. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I don't think deals were offered yet. Teams were just expressing interest about RoCo and it was just analysts opinions that Norm could fetch a nice return (this deal is done so I'm not going to dig around to find you links, you can do that yourself but the Cavs, Pelicans, Jazz and like four other teams were all linked to RoCo and the Norm thing is just obvious). When you look at how little production we got out of this deal for Dame's window, I don't think we could have traded these two guys for anything less.

All of that being said, I agree with you that on your second point the deal was made to get that Bledsoe contract, I think that had to be the case and also get us under the tax. So we should see another deal, the fact that we haven't already is a little disconcerting because Cronin may have thought he had a deal that was air tight that fell through once the other GM saw how little was needed to get other valuable assets of ours. If that's the case maybe we don't see another move and Cronin is left holding the bag. I'm still reserving judgment on if this deal was complete idiocy but for sure Cronin got played and sold extremely low on those two guys.

Tince and Natebishop3 like this.
  8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Seems unfathomable but thats what I'm wondering now. Like absolutely no way he accepts it ina vacuum without demanding a trade out.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  9. illmatic99

Multiple mentions of how there were so few sellers this yr. And how we coulda created a bidding war.

blazerkor and Natebishop3 like this.
  10. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    So, if we would have traded Dame today for Kevin Love, and a 2nd round pick, it'd be totally OK because we...
    "have to pay a price for all those made moves. This is the start of that price. It's not over."

You don't sell your wife and kids because you owe a few thousand on your house.

SharpesTriumph and blazerkor like this.
  11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think they wanted him to demand a trade last summer so they could dump him without being the bad guys, but he backed off.

And then this happens.....

12. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

neil olshey in

13. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

All fair points.

I'm 100% certain we could've made a worse trade. For starters, we made a trade that didn't handcuff our future by taking on ANOTHER bad contract and/or giving up 1st round drafts which over the last 20 years have proven to be the only way for us to obtain all-star talent. We made those types of move on an annual basis over the last 5 years. At some point, you've got to stop opening new credit cards to pay off your old credit card debt.

HailBlazers and Orion Bailey like this.
  14. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    There's been an ongoing narrative about Chauncey wanting to get guys who thrived in Chauncey's system. The narrative is sensible, but not corroborated.

15. illmatic99

None of the guys were on the Clippers last yr. And I dont think Chauncey has a system yet. Hes 50 games in and lost 60%of his games.

BonesJones and wizenheimer like this.
  16. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

If you value role players as much as a Top 75 player in NBA history, this anology would make sense. I think there has to be a price to be paid. One is to give up Dame for significantly less value and the other is to give us guys like Cov/Norm for significantly less value. I would prefer to give up Norm/Cov. If you would have preferred to keep them and lose Dame, that's certainly an opinion.

If you thought Norm/Cov were the wife and kids of this franchise, the cornerstones, then I don't know what to tell you.

Norm/Cov are the the new car you bought on a nice sunny weekend despite already being in debt, now 2 years later, with the creditors beating down your door, you have to sell those bad boys for $0.50 on the $1. They were never the wife and kids in my eyes.

17. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I didn't say we couldn't have made a worse trade because obviously we could have because like you said this trade doesn't tie up money in the long term and it didn't cost us future draft assets that we currently have. What I did say was that we couldn't have got less productive assets in return that fit Dame's window. Even a first rounder is more potential production because as Olshey showed time and time again you can just tack it onto a player to get a slight upgrade.

18. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

What you define as "less produtive asset" I guess is where we might not see eye to eye.

We got slaughtered from a talent standpoint. If another team was offering us their top 20 pick from last year, expiring contracts, and another likely top 20 pick in the future, we 100% should've taken it. I haven't read a solidly sourced report that a deal like that was on the table. I personaly don't think any team in the league would give us that for those two.

19. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Joe's cryptic theory has to involve a second move.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  20. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I live down in the Bay Area and the first local sports talk take I heard was "Great move for the Clippers, but I'm not seeing the Blazer's side of this".

STOMP

illmatic99 and oldmangrouch like this.