Zombie Fire Olshey

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Kinda like what Pritchard did when he drafted Babbitt in the first round and then dipped a few days later.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Lakers have a billion dollar tv deal...they can pay any tax the league throws at them...if Olshey wants out all he has to do is sign Beibs to the MLE....that'll seal the deal on his tenure in a heartbeat

3. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    As bad as it is on S2 regarding Neil Purgatory — It’s much worse on Twitter. Olshey is getting absolutely lambasted.

Easily the most hated man in the city right now and quite possibly the most hated FO employee in team history :smiley-ko:

TBpup and Natebishop3 like this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

he's earned it

5. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I wanted DeRozan. Damn

Hoopguru likes this.
  6. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
  7. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Neil good very well have the last laugh when he extends Dame once again, maybe next year. And after he pulls off a trade with Philly or Toronto.
    He's gotten rid of a couple guys Dame signed off on last year in Melo and Kanter.

8. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

That was last year. Dame said it wasn't good enough this year. Talk about damning Neil with faint praise.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  9. Hoopguru

Dame has his prints all over this franchise and he will sign a super max down the road here.

10. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    Even fans in France are piling on Neil:

“Neil Olshey is the kind of guy who tells his son he's going to buy him ice cream for his beloved child and never comes back.”

:biglaugh:

Haakzilla and blazerkor like this.
  11. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

That's cold

Fez Hammersticks likes this.
  12. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I'd of believed that last year.

I dont now.

Neil fucked this franchise over. Accept it.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  13. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

That's real... he's that kind of GM, I have no idea what kind of dad he is.

14. blazerkor

What's kind of funny is right now, everything seems to be pointing towards a big CJ trade that sends out draft picks and maybe another player who is young but we've been so conditioned by Neil doing nothing and calling it the best thing ever that we don't believe he can do what he most likely has to do. This isn't like other off seasons... Dame might not demand a trade right when he gets home but he'll do one of two thing. He'll either tell Neil to get the job done or he'll say nothing and wait for the team to perform poorly at the beginning of the season and demand a trade then.

The thing is that Neil has to know this. Dame has never made a threat before so there's no reason to think he's not going to do what he said he'd do. Neil will pull the trigger on a big trade. It might not be the right trade, it may not even be one of the two guys we've all been talking about but he'll make a big trade. If Dame demands a trade, I can't see the Vulcans letting Neil keep his job.

Strenuus likes this.
  15. wizenheimer

I can't tell whether you're trying to talk us into believing that or yourself

maybe it's just Olshey trying to drive the asking price up, but right now, I'd say the odds Olshey trades CJ before the trade deadline are less than 10%

BonesJones likes this.
  16. Paine Tablet

Paine Tablet Well-Known Member

In Oregon we have NPR running fascinating investigations into the PI representative's twitter history conferring much guilt by association. In Oregon the activist media doesn't just want to say mean things about you, they want to ruin you.

17. blazerkor

Then I'd say that the odds that Olshey has this job by the end of the season are less than 10%. I just think Olshey gets that keeping Dame is what's keeping him here... so if he wants to call Dame's bluff... which isn't a bluff then he can likely pay for it with his job and reputation. Dude's not getting another team President or GM gig if he can't even try to meet his star player's demand to put a better team on the floor.

18. wizenheimer

that's a reasonable view of the situation. But I believe it's too generic and ignores what has happened

by that I mean....how long ago was it that Portland was bounced out of the playoffs? over 2 months? And how long has Dame been making these "I-might-ask-for-a-trade" noises? 8 weeks?

so then, I'd ask, exactly what actions has Olshey taken in those 8 weeks that show he shares Dame's sense of urgency? And, the other side of that, is what actions has Olshey taken that suggest, for him, it's business as usual. The answer to that first question is none; and the answer to the second question is every single thing he's done

start with the press conference for firing Stotts. Dame has said he's been talking with the Blazer front office all along. And Dame has been clear, since the playoffs, that he feels the roster isn't good enough. Put those 2 things together and Olshey knew by the time of that press conference that Dame felt the roster wasn't good enough, yet, Olshey threw Stotts under the bus and said the roster wasn't the problem. That sure didn't look like a GM wary of offending the franchise player

then step ahead to the coaching search when Olshey effectively let Dame take the heat for Portland considering Kidd and Billups as the new coach. Most front offices would at least try to provide cover for their star player and not allow him to dangle like that and damage his brand. But Olshey did NOTHING to provide Dame cover. In fact, it kind of looked like Olshey was happy to let Dame take the heat and not him. And as for the search itself, does anyone doubt that even before the Stotts public firing Olshey had decided Billups was going to be the next head coach? The supposed coaching search was just performance art. Olshey's actions all the way thru Stotts firing and the Billups press conference looked the opposite of a GM on the hot seat or hanging by threads. It looked like a GM confident that Seattle won't fire him

so then, all those weeks after the Denver series and before the draft, Portland could have made a trade. During the draft, Portland could have done more than just buy a 43rd pick. And as I've noted, Zeller-McLemore-Snell looks like a mirror of Whiteside-Hezonja-Tolliver. Again, not one thing Olshey has done since the Denver series shows he's concerned about Dame or is worried about his job. Sure, he's yakked about it but with Olshey, talk means nothing. And I think it's clear that Dame feels that way about Olshey's words...that they are meaningless

now, maybe you're right and Olshey shares Dame's urgency and is being foxy and clever and biding his time and there just hasn't been any opportunities. I don't believe any of that but it could be the case. And we'll see a big move before training camp...no, I don't believe that either. I think the most we'll see is a Jones trade and I think it will be completely underwhelming. But maybe I'm wrong

one thing I don't think I'm wrong about: I do not believe Olshey fears for his job even if Dame asks out. I think Olshey would be quite happy to trade dame and build a different team afterward. He may even be trying to trigger that situation. And I think Seattle will go along with it

Cugel, tester551 and Hoopguru like this.
  19. blazerkor

You make valid points. All of them would suggest that we either make a big trade soon or Neil wants to trade Dame but wants Dame to demand it... which would be a very Olshey way of handling things. I'm hoping despite history and solid logic that we'll see the big trade that we've never seen from Neil. If or when that doesn't happen... funny enough we will see Neil's first blockbuster when Dame demands a trade. A big change will happen to the roster we currently see and I think it will happen by the trade deadline but maybe Olshey sold Dame on some bullshit after Dame's presser. We'll wait and see.

20. Hoopguru

Yeah, Seattle seems to be in Neils court. Remember, Paul went out of his way to get him and his sidekick to run the thing and there doing just that. Their performance measurement includes making playoffs with a high weighting. Advancing is a separate weighting. They look at the collective performance that include, not just objective criteria but subjective criteria (good imagine/community involvement, ect.). The evaluate overall like the bean counters look a average net profit margin where some aspects are higher and lower.
    I also think Neil and Dame are in synch more than fan's here believe. Just my gut feeling