Zombie Fire Olshey

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Jamal Maglore was an all-star....doesn't mean shit. Hibbert has been average if you're being generous, during the time he'd be playing for us with a max contract.

2. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Not yet. But I think we should be dissatisfied with his bringing us from 54 wins to the ~35 we'll get this year. His performance should not be praised, as the saps in this thread are doing. We should be giving him a 1-year deadline before we all get down on him. Since others aren't preparing the board for 1 year from now (if he continues to fail), I will. I hope he'll make a couple more Nurkic-like moves in that time, but his history here says otherwise.

To repeat: After he lost Aldridge, he has done nothing since about July 2015, except Nurkic. One good move in 20 months is below average for NBA GMs.

To improve the team: He should have brought in at least one other Nurkic-quality player to return us to 50 wins. That was the plan after the quickie halfway rebuild of July 2015, to make a move every chance he got, but he went to sleep for 20 months.

To avoid further degradation: He should have traded one or both of Crabbe and Leonard at trade deadline 2017, simply to escape the salary problem he created last summer.

3. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

I see Plums started with Jokic out last night and had 19/10/5 with 4 TO. Nugs lost.

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

1 game back now

5. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

I going to wait for this draft and see if he can unload a big contract before I decide on Neil.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  6. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Tied in loss column.

7. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    wind·bag
    (wĭnd′băg′)
    n.
    1. The flexible air-filled chamber of a bagpipe or similar instrument.
    2. Slang A talkative person who communicates nothing of substance or interest.

pom·pous

(pŏm′pəs)
    adj.
    1. Characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious: pompous officials who enjoy giving orders.
    2. Full of high-sounding phrases; bombastic: a pompous proclamation.
    3. Archaic Characterized by pomp or stately display: a pompous occasion.

Who is being the pompous windbag again? Mind you the quotes I found are just in the last 5 or so pages of this thread alone, I am sure there's even more evidence if I were so inclined to go digging through all the other threads of this forum. Fortunately enough evidence was pretty easy to find without too much effort needed to make my point.

That said, I actually agree with some parts of your last post, it's nice when you put in a bit of effort to put content into your post instead of ad hominems and red herrings.

As you've pointed out, Olshey could do more, and that is probably accurate. But as we both know, Olshey isn't Trader Bob, and Trader Bob sure didn't have the best track record either. If you think objectively, I would think anyone in their right mind would think we're ahead of schedule on our rebuild overall considering the losses we incurred in 2015. This year may be somewhat of a step back record wise compared to last year, but even the Spurs aren't perfect every year and sometimes you need to take one step back before taking two forward.

Now where I strongly agree with you is on his financial management of the team, and I think as you pointed out Crabbe and Leonard were both mistakes to re-sign. I haven't heard a strong argument for why he match Crabbe especially, and I haven't seen much development from either of them either. Olshey is not perfect, but I personally view him as far better than average, but not quite elite.

He's basically like Lillard, he's great, but he's not a Steph Curry level GM.

Charcoal Filtered likes this.
  8. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Many other posters have posted in other threads that they expect Olshey to perform by the next event (draft, summer, trade deadline). Then he doesn't. Then someone notes it. Then guys like you claim that the guy noting it is Olshey's only critic on the board. I see about half the posters on the board making unhappy comments about him because he fails at each event (draft, summer, trade deadline). You try to paint me in the minority, but I don't feel in the minority at all.

But let's say you're right. Olshey's done fine and should continue what he's done. We should win 35 games per year, from now on, forever. He should not try to get starters the caliber of Nurkic, and he should not have in the last 20 months.

Okay, so now we all agree that you're right. We all agree that this team should suck forever. We have no expectations of Olshey doing better than he has. Keep getting us one new good player per 20 months, Olshey! In Olshey I trust.

As you see, it's almost logically impossible to agree with you...and simultaneously be a Blazer fan. Olshey needs to improve, fast.

9. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Bump!

Told POR is still interested in attaching a pick to shed a salary, but may need to wait until the draft, pending who is available at time.-KeithSmithNBA

Salary that Neil/Paul gleefully added. If I hear "cuz cap flexibility" one more fucking time!​

Sinobas likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Two words:

Jusuf.

Nurkic.

Kthxbye

11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Um... JusufNurkic is one word...

Figure. It. Out.

BlazerWookee likes this.
  12. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    The major problems I have were Olshey is being a control freak and sometimes overvaluing his players too much. But nobody is better at pulling a rabbit out of his hat. No GM in the league. Tbis off season may define his legacy though.

13. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Reading this page reminds me that we haven't heard from Jlprk lately; wish he would get back on here. He always had interesting perspectives.

14. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Don't be suprise if we pick 3 players tomorrow. The trading might not come until the free agents starts. The key is what does the roster look like at training camp.

15. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

With this thread being bumped, I thought we actually made a move. What does that say about the expectations of mine for how good the move would be? Haha.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  16. Sinobas

If the Blazers end up using one of their draft picks just to get rid of one of the bad contracts Olshey signed last year, is there any chance we'll get Denny Crane (and all the others who were making the same argument) to admit he was wrong? I doubt it!

I'd rather trade guys that have some trade value for future draft picks (aminu, harkless, davis), and use the draft picks. A nice thing about 1st rounders is that they are cheap, so you can use the draft as a way to shed salary by taking the player and bumping off a higher paid guy.

17. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Yup. I just said the same last Sunday. And blazercaravan....

18. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
  19. OSUBlazerfan

OSUBlazerfan Writing Team

I'm on board. This experiment is over.

20. Sinobas

I think Neil had a great draft, if Collins is indeed a hit, you've got to retain him because he'd further proove his drafting prowess. He really needs to shed some contracts though. I think Davis is a goner for sure.

Orion Bailey and Pridan like this.