Zombie Fire Olshey

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Pridan

Pridan Active Member

I think Davis or Myers, with ET gone in the next 12 months.

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I don't want to spoil the news but @BlazerCaravan is at a very exiting moment in life for her family. Hopefully she comes on and informs you all cause life is special!!! :)

Minstrel and Dougnsalem like this.
  3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

BlazerCaravan is a girl?

I have a great joke when she gets back :angel:

4. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Bump!

A year later and we're still in NBA purgatory.

jlprk and Nikolokolus like this.
  5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

He got us in this mess, let’s see if he can get us out of it.

6. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Why in the world would anybody want that? This ia why people go broke in Vegas.

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Because I’m not a blinded idiot who only sees the bad.

8. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I'm not blind, dammit!

bodyman5000 and 1 and BBert like this.
  9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

To expand;

Trades? Neil has generally been good.

Draft? Neil stacks up against any GM here, going back to his Clippers days.

Free Agency? This is where he blows. Good thing it’s not an option for Portland in the near future. Not like anyone would sign here anyway.

Make or break time is here. I’m pretty sure he’ll get the team under the tax before the deadline. Some of the pending RFAs should be moved. Harkless and Leonard should be a focus as well.

The bigger moves (CJ, ET) could/should come in the summer.

10. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Back in his Clippers days, he drafted Aminu at 8 and missed Paul George and Gordon Hayward who came right behind, and he tradet their 2011 1st Pick UNPROTECTED to the Cavs who became Kyrie Irving, that was an Desaster. But yeah he created a contender and brought CP3 to the Clippers.

BonesJones likes this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

You could come up with a “missed on” list for literally every GM, but when you stack up his draft classes with the rest, there are very few that are as impressive.

Orion Bailey and dviss1 like this.
  12. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I don't only see the bad, but I've definitely seen enough bad to convince me that I don't want him at the helm any more. Good intentions, and hopes don't mean shit with these ultra-exclusive jobs, only results and his are mostly on the side of failure. You're suffering under the sunk cost fallacy that if only you let it ride just a little bit longer, then this rotten string of "bad luck" will turn around and it will all get better. Well, it's not bad luck that got this franchise where it is now. It's bad bets, faulty logic, and mismanagement that got Neil here, and after 7-8 years on the job he's had more than enough time.

13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

He literally had to start over when Aldridge left. I get that fans aren’t patient, they shouldn’t be, but this was never anything but a rebuild. We just so happened to overachieve the last couple of years, because if you look at our roster, it wasn’t a playoff caliber one. It still isn’t. We’re just “lucky” we have Dame and a good coach who bleed everything out of the squad. Neil has had his misses in free agency but it’s not like signing Turner (or any of the rest) kept us from adding another player who would’ve put us over the top.

Orion Bailey and dviss1 like this.
  14. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Well the bad luck of this team was first making it into 2016 playoffs against all odds, and then not getting swept by Clippers because Griffin and Paul got injured. If we hadn't made it into playoffs, that would have been a nice lottery pick that would have maybe turned into someone like Jamal Murray or Jaylen Brown, or even Sabonis or Valentine. If we had lost to Clippers, we would not have given those dreadful deals to Crabbe, Leonard and Turner because nobody would have believed that this team had the potential to win.

Instead we packed our salary with bad players and left no room to improve because we also cannot get high picks in the draft because while the team is bad, it's not THAT bad.

BBert likes this.
  15. Mediocre Man

Aldridge leaving was something he knew for over a year.

16. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I want both Olshey and Stotts gone. What is the best order to do it. It's an embarrassment of negative riches, like too many unhealthy chocolates to eat.

Should I damage my health by getting rid of Stotts first? Olshey first? Or should I incapacitate the team for a year in the cardiac unit by eating both boxes at once?

Heh heh. You pictorial-analogy-challenged guys never tried LSD. Noobs...

17. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Olshey mis-assesses player talents and roles. He thinks that Turner and McCollum are good playmakers, Aminu is a good dribbler, and Napier is just a shooter. As for trades, with Batum, he wanted a top-10 pick, couldn't get one, so randomly settled for Vonleh, only because he had previously been one.

18. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Olshey gets a lot of credit for his Drafts but I'm of the opinion they really haven't been that great.

2010:
    #9 - Al-Farouq Aminu
    (#10 Paul George to Indiana)
    (#11 Gordon Hayward to Utah)
    Possibly his worst draft. Complete miss as Aminu has by far had the least impact in relation to the 2 players picked right after him.

2011:
    Traded Baron Williams and their #1 pick (that became Kyrie Irving) for Jamario Moon and Mo Williams
    #37 pick LA Clippers - selected Trey Tompins
    (#38 - Chandler Parsons to Houston)

2012:
    #6 - Damian Lillard
    #11 - Meyers Leonard
    #40 - Will Barton
    #41 - Tyshawn Taylor
    Probably his best Draft although many will say Lillard was Portland's first choice before Olshey got they. Meyers hasn't panned out (you can highly question him being re-signed) but there was no clear 'miss' right after him and Barton has been very serviceable for a 2nd round pick.

2013:
    #10 CJ McCollum
    (#15 - Giannis Antetokuonmpo to MIL)
    #39 - Jeff Withey
    #40 - Grant Jerrett
    #45 - Marko Todorovic
    Traded 2 future 2nd round picks for Allan Crabbe
    Four picks with only one hit and missed on Giannis. Many people will say, "how was Olshey supposed to know GF would turn out like that?", which is a fair question but that is their job. They are graded on hits and misses because that is what they are paid for to do full time. CJ wasn't a miss as he is a very accomplished scorer....but GF will be an All-Star and All-NBA player which CJ has yet to sniff.

2014:
    No picks of any kind. All had been traded away.

2015:
    #23 Hollis-Jefferson, immediately traded with Steve Blake for Plumlee/Connaughton
    Traded cash for #54 Utah pick Daniel Diaz
    (Nothing to take notice of here..)

2016:
    No Draft picks...again. They had all been traded away. Traded another future 2nd for Jake Layman

2017:
    #15 - Justin Jackson
    #20 - Harry Giles
    #26 - Caleb Swanigan
    (Jackson and Giles traded for Collins. Swanigan picked right before #27 Kyle Kuzma who will make the All-Rookie team and instead of local favorite Jordan Bell who will also make the All-Rookie team.)

So far in 7 years of Drafting, really only 2 hits if you believe Dame was already the choice before Olshey got here. CJ and Barton....and that comes with the caveat that CJ was taken instead of GF. Now Collins may become one but it's too early to tell. The other thing I notice is that, if Oshey's strength is the Draft, why does he keep trading away picks? Since Neil got to Portland, he has traded away something like 15 Draft picks while getting back around 6. I somewhat lost track after a while as the number was quite high for a 5 year stretch of trades.

Since the Blazers aren't getting anyone of significance to come here via FA'cy, Draft picks are crucial for acquiring players that you have control over. Neil is one smooooth talkin' guy but the more I looked at the Draft history, the less I was impressed.

19. Mediocre Man

This post EXACTLY

He has not been good.

bodyman5000 and 1 and BBert like this.
  20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Fallacy.