Zombie Fire Olshey

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Dec 26, 2016.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Look I don’t know how early Kim Hughes knew, but he knew before the Blazers admitted it. That’s why he got fired. That is a documented fact.

Natebishop3 and PtldPlatypus like this.
  2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Then let me rephrase:

It took his PUNK ASS a week to announce his decision.

3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

4. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
  5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

BBert, TBpup and Nikolokolus like this.
  6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Did you read that right? Reported 6/2.

nvm. Typo

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    PtldPlatypus likes this.
  7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This still doesn't mean Olshey knew. Jussayin.

8. PtldPlatypus

What's that Judge Judy quote you often like to pull out? "If it doesn't make sense, it's not true," right? Does it really make sense to you that Kim Hughes would know, Canzano would know, people that tbpup talks to would know, but the team's general manager would be caught unawares?

You are welcome to hold to that extremely unlikely theory, but you're gonna be pretty well alone on that one.

TBpup likes this.
  9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Literally knew 100%

BBert and Nikolokolus like this.
  10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This is what's killing me: Let's say Olshey knew the very second Kim Huges knew.

When could he have the opportunity to trade LA for the deal that everyone in here is whining about?

Right. He wouldn't have that opportunity.

11. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

LMA let Neil know nearly two years prior to his contract expiring that he wanted out. 2 YEARS. Instead, Neil, and Paul, both thought tgey could appease LMA. They couldn't.

12. PtldPlatypus

Understood; I'm just trying to help you dial back the rhetoric just a tad.

Personally, I understood the position of those who wanted him dealt the summer of 2013. But once the team started out strong (what, 17-3 the first 20, or something like that?), it would have been ludicrous for Olshey to deal the all-star, perceived best player from a potentially contending squad. And I honestly believed that there was a good chance that Aldridge was going to stick around, given how good the team had suddenly become. Then the Houston series and 0.9 happened, and how are you going to trade a cornerstone off of that team? The fanbase would have stormed the Moda with torches and pitchforks if he had. And then they were even better that next year (in my mind), despite a few injuries here and there. Yes, we had the various rumblings that Aldridge was growing increasingly displeased with the growing level of attention and adulation that Dame was receiving, but that still wasn't a reason to bust up what appeared to be a top-3 team in the conference. At the 2015 trade deadline, we were buyers, not sellers; that Afflalo deal had a chance to be the move that put the team over the top, and we saw the fruits of that in the first 6 games he played. The advanced metrics on the team immediately following Afflalo's acquisition were at the level of the best in the league.

In my mind, the day that Aldridge mentally left the Blazers was March 5, 2015--the day Wes tore his achilles. Up until that point, we were exactly the kind of franchise Aldridge wanted to be a part of. Once Wes went down, that squad fell apart, and there was no chance he was going to stay.

So I see where the "trade Aldridge" camp was coming from all along, and for a very short period (2013 offseason) I was with them, but I have a lot of difficulty faulting Olshey for betting on himself and his ability to build a contender around LA and keep him--because as far as I'm concerned, he was one tendon away from doing just that.

gatorpops, Orion Bailey, mook and 3 others like this.
  13. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Wrong.

14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Just like every single time you post?

15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

But AFTER the injury. After the MEM series. DURING the offseason. All we got was "I want to be the best Blazer ever" until Kim Hughes' comment.

Folks need to stop with that whole "NO knew all along" bullcrap because that's revisionist history.

16. PtldPlatypus

I'd say it's just a different interpretation of the sincerity of Aldridge's comments. The claim is that he told the FO in 2013 that he wanted out. If people believe that Aldridge's public comments were just PR, then it's perfectly reasonable for those people to simultaneously say that Olshey knew all along that Aldridge wanted to leave. Especially if those people were making that very claim througjout his final two years here.

That's not revisionist history; that's consistency.

BBert likes this.
  17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Man, he specifically denied that. Just because people in here didn't believe him at the time doesn't make it true. There's nothing to suggest that he did. Using it as ammo to say NO knew is crap to me and again, revisionist history.

Show me one story where LA is quoted as asking for a trade. I'll wait.

18. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Lip service. He wanted to be loved, wanted the attention, even when he wouldn't do what it took to get it and would be jealous of Dame when he did. There are countless examples of that. People say things to the media all the time that they don't come close to meaning. I take what he told to people very close to him with much more weight.

BBert, riverman and Nikolokolus like this.
  19. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT ALDRIDGE (evidently some still do hehe)

riverman, Labinot41 and PtldPlatypus like this.
  20. PtldPlatypus

Wait...you're telling me that because the man you call the Texas Turncoat, the man about whom you said just yesterday:
    claimed he never demanded a trade, you take that claim as gospel? If he was lying about wanting to be the best Blazer ever, was lying about looking forward to signing that 5-year-deal to stay here, why wouldn't he have been lying about not demanding a trade?

Of course he never came out and said publicly that he wanted to be traded. But there was plenty of evidence to suggest that he made that very request behind the scenes. Again, just because you didn't/don't believe it doesn't make it revisionist history on the part of those who did/do.

BBert and Natebishop3 like this.