Zombie Fire Olshey

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

History: 10 straight playoff losses!

2. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    And? History doesn't always repeat itself. I look at every year as a new beginning but i tend to look at the positives rather than dwelling on the negatives.

Propagandist likes this.
  3. Propagandist

Maybe it's not as either/or as you're making it. It isn't negative to recognize that 10 straight playoff losses suggests a need for a new approach. It's a natural, and obvious, conclusion. How is one to improve if he/she doesn't learn from the past?

brooklynballer and oldmangrouch like this.
  4. CupWizier

retired
    What makes you think they haven't learned from the past? The past is the past though and doesn't mean it will repeat. If that were the case no team will ever improve by your theory. Besides, each year there have been changes made.

Propagandist likes this.
  5. Propagandist

10 straight losses with no real roster changes makes me think that. The same old style of play makes me think that. The fact that Stotts is still coach makes me think that. Neil Olshey's interviews and inability to follow through with what he says makes me think that. I don't necessarily want these or those changes, but there is pretty much zero evidence that we've looked to address anything other than the fact that only way to use ET is as a distributor (which is just disguising a weakness by playing to its "strengths") and bench scoring a little bit. I do think Rodney Hood will help...

The crazy thing is, you look at the teams that have had success, like the Warriors or the Rockets or the Bucks or Toronto, et al. and you see what it looks like when you are trying to win or address certain issues. Those teams are actively trying to improve all of the time. Those rosters are everchanging and evermoving and it certainly seems to work.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  6. CupWizier

retired
    Every year Lillard improves parts of his game. Nurkic's game has expanded bigly this year and Layman has been a huge surprise along with guys like Curry and now with Hood and Turner has proven to be a solid facilitator for the second unit compared to last year. We are a better team than we were last year and to say we play the same is also not accurate as we have seen Nurk be implemented more in the offense with pic and rolls and the alley oops to Layman have also added another dimension and assists have dramatically improved since last year and the beginning of this year. I don't see the same team as last year. The Pelicans are also a shell of themselves from last year so they aren;t the same threat and likely not even make the playoffs.

HailBlazers and Propagandist like this.
  7. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I'm okay with others having that approach but would you feel the same way next year if they lose in the 1st round and only made minimal roster changes again with the same coach and GM?

I guess what I'm asking is where is the line between keep on trying similar things or time to make a major shakeup?

oldmangrouch and Propagandist like this.
  8. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Interesting enough. This thread was started after getting to the second round.

9. Propagandist

Yes, we are a tending garden franchise. And yes, we get incrementally better every year. At this rate we'll be winning the championship in 2030. I don't even think I'm going out on a limb to say years from now and shake our heads about what could have been if we had surrounded Dame with better players.

The point certainly isn't the Pelicans, other than to show how a fragile team dissected us. The point is the winning teams. The teams that make winning in the playoffs a priority. That's not us.

ripcityboy and hoopsjock like this.
  10. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    But before Nurk fever the following year when we were on the outside of the playoff race. We haven't won a playoff game since this thread started either.

kjironman1 and Propagandist like this.
  11. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Yeah. I agree with post whole heartedly. We improve incrementally. Teams in other markets can change out their rosters over one year's period. We are going nowhere but hovering around in the same place. It's like racing a two seat Renault against an F1 Ferrari.

Propagandist likes this.
  12. kjironman1

Another true statement. Guess we better tell Jennifer we are still trying? There is no question last year was bad. But i just cannot see that team doing that with Dame playing well, Harkless and Turner healthy and a better run into the playoffs. They blew a couple games in the last 10 that they never should have lost. Had they won those games i believe they would have been able to rest some players and get healthy.

Water under the bridge now though. Last year sucked no question. Hope they play better this year.

CupWizier likes this.
  13. Propagandist

I want to add that I love this team. I'm never trolling, er, except when I bait Bones about Zach. Sure, I'd like to see guys like ET gone, but this is my team. I just want to be the guy emotionally attached to the players, not the GM, if that makes sense. Through the clouds of fandom I can see cracks in the walls; I need the GM to address them.

BonesJones likes this.
  14. CupWizier

retired
    I have always attached myself emotionally to the players as those are the ones that are visible where as management is behind closed doors and like Wizard mention, none of us know the details of any trades that might have been discussed. As for Olshey, he may or may not even be here next year and my approach is always one year at a time. I have been a Blazer fan since day one and an NBA fan probably as far back as the early 60's. As a player I was an emotional and intense player, but as a fan, I look at it as entertainment and this team is entertaining me. Getting all worked up and losing sleep over a sports team that I have zero input or control over seems foolish as their are way more important things for me to deal with. Watching sports is a release from all the other stuff in life, not an additional burden.

15. Propagandist

This place must drive you crazy...

Hoopguru likes this.
  16. CupWizier

retired
    Naw, but I know I drive some posters crazy. :bgrin:

Hoopguru, kjironman1 and Propagandist like this.
  17. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

If you ignore weaknesses and refuse to adapt, that is the most likely outcome.

Propagandist likes this.
  18. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

@ L 106 - 118
    @ L 99 - 110
    W 120 - 108 (no Curry)
    L 125 - 132
    @ L 121 - 125
    @ L 109 - 121
    @ L 81 - 110
    L 113 - 119
    L 103 - 128
    L 95 - 97
    L 102 - 111
    @ L 102 - 119
    @ L 123 - 131

so, after getting to the 2nd round (after beating a crippled team), Portland is 1-12 with the 12 losses coming by an average of -12.0 points. How bad is that margin of loss? The biggest negative MOV in the NBA right now is Cleveland at -10.7; the biggest last season was Phoenix at -9.4; the year before was the Lakers at -6.9. If that record was projected over a full season, it would be 6-76

yeah, I know...mitigating circumstances...Warriors etc. Still, that playoff record is horrid. It was so bad that Olshey made a point of saying that Portland absolutely needed to get some playoff tested veterans on the team. That was right before he drafted 2 rookies and signed 2 free agents that had exactly 0 games of playoff experience

he finally got a veteran with playoff experience in Hood. Unfortunately, Hood's career marks in the playoffs are a FG% under 39%; a three point percentage of 23%; a 6.5 PER; negative winshare marks; and a BPM of -5.6

sure, it could all end up completely different this year and in the playoffs. But there is plenty of reason to be skeptical about Portland having done enough to address the issues exposed in last year's playoffs.

BonesJones, TBpup and oldmangrouch like this.
  19. kjironman1

You always have. Why change now?

20. kjironman1

I
    Is there actually a point that someone here doesn't already know somewhere in that mess? Really. Are you going to wallow in defeat again next year after the team does the best they can and they don't win a championship again? A super team called the Golden State Warriors is going to win the championship this year unless there is a couple of major injuries to stop them. But hey that's why they play the games right?

CupWizier likes this.