Fire Van Gundy Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by drm2dnk, Nov 23, 2005.

1. drm2dnk

drm2dnk JBB JustBBall Member

Since it's in all the Houston boards and not in this one; I'm making a Fire Van Gundy Thread!

1. He's a defensive coach but the THREE is left OPEN all the time and OPPONENTS get open THREES; with a little bit of ball movement the defense gets disoriented. PLayers are following the ball and watching instaed of guarding the player and therefore leaving players open. Yao ming had to chase the guards who were open which doesnt make sense either. He needs to box out and the guards should defend
    2. No box outs

Offense: no cuts to create openings. All players playing individually with the ball and the rest without it are just watching. Plays are horrible. and wtf is with his rotational system with Dikembe and Howard and Swift getting variable minutes every game. The only consistency in the team is lottery bound. Teams are laughing at rockets at the 3rd quarter because the game is already won.

So to conclude fire van gundy because his PLAYS are as inefficient as his hair. WHoever says the defense is good because of low scoring is obviously not watching the games because they can't guard the 3 at all or box out. So if Suns kept houston at 80 points that means suns defense are good? I don't think so.

IF the offense is so 1 dimensional and defense is crap i think van gundy is a hopeless coach.

2. DaRocket

DaRocket JBB JustBBall Member

I'm saying the same thing (I mean: fire JVG) since last year.

Just quoting my own comment in a previous thread cause the problem is not just JVG plays:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The problem is not we are loosing games, the problem is the way we loose, that means stop talking about T-Mac and Sura injuries. This team has no chemistry, no passion, no motivation, no intensity. JVG MUST BE FIRED or we better start looking to the next NBA Draft.

No more excuse please. Last year we were in the same situation: did you forget how many times we went down in the first 3/4 and only T-Mac saved us from a loss? We don't need to be saved, we need to dominate, especially when you have 2 superstars in the team.</div>

3. aznkillabeez

aznkillabeez JBB JustBBall Member

I dont know how many coaches are available but i suggest to bring Hubie brown to the ROX!!!! And offload these old scrubs !!!!! one or two veteran guards for support are alright but .. having them all in the starting lineup = to what the rox have right now.

4. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

All this sounds convincing and it seems something extravegant needs to be done with this Houston team.

I believe we should see how he turns out this year, and if he doesn't go further than last year than he should be fired by then end of the season. Right now we are playing very poorly, and a new coach might fix all of our problems, but it might also hurt us EVEN MORE. A new coach at this point in the season justs doesn't seem fair to the coach or the players.

5. jimmy33kb

jimmy33kb JBB JustBBall Member

maybe it's better for JVG to sit next to Drexler in TOYOTA CENTER if he wants a job in future.

6. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Funny how about the same time last year, this board was filled with the same "Fire Van Gundy" threads. What's he supposed to do? He can't run onto the court and help us rebound the ball or keep us from turning the ball over or blow the basketball into the hoop.

The Rockets will get better. They're extremely mediocre right now, but they're also in the middle of a brutal schedule. If Yao's going to continue to be a soft, average center, then our offense will fall apart. Defensively, we're still decent (thanks to the coaching of Van Gundy). Offensively we are just about the worst team in the league. Yao is not a player that an offensive system can revolve around. He's just a solid second option. And no one else on the team would be capable of starting for most teams, in my opinion. It's a mix of players that could be a contender IF McGrady and Yao are healthy and playing well. Take McGrady out and this is what we are. A below average NBA team suffering through a particularly evil schedule.

7. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't know. I was one of the ones quick to pull the trigger and hope to see JVG gone last season. But after seeing how well we played towards the second half of the season, I think JVG is great for us if we have the right players. We also have injury probs with T-Mac and Sura..

Now I think our team still has many holes. Sura ain't coming back, we need to ship off Wesley and Alston IMO. Develop Head into our starting SG and get a dayum good PG. Easier said than done, I know. But I think it would be great under JVG if we had a team like that. Also a good solid SF to backup T-Mac and play when T-Mac is injured (like now).

8. TMacAttack

TMacAttack JBB JustBBall Member

The Rockets are not winning because the shots are not falling. When I watch the games all I see is us missing free throws. The End...

9. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

Well theoretically are we doing better? Last year, we also started 6-11, now we are 3-9 similar number of games under a .500 record. Last year we started 5 games below .500, now we are 6 games below .500, except 6 games without TMac, a few role players who don't fit in yet, and not to mention a difficult road schedule. Are we doing better theoretically? Well, the win to loss ratio at the lowest peak of last year was only 1 win - 2 losses, now its 1 win every 3 losses. I would say theoretically we are doing better than last year. Besides, if we fire Van Gundy, who else do we have to pick up? Like other people said, it would mean a whole new coach with a whole new system, which would lead to more time needed getting used to the new system of the new coach which would most likely lead to a few more losses. Plus, you already have people like TMac who love Van Gundy. How will a new coach work well with Yao anyway?

10. drm2dnk

So Van gundy's system is old, then how come he can't seem to make even his defense work? They can't guard the 3, and they can't box out to grab rebounds. Positioning problem? It's either you guard the 3 well, or you guard the inside well, but rockets aren't doing either. It's easy to have a low scoring game, just run down the clock every possession and miss shots like what they're doing.

A new system sounds good right now.

11. Proz4k

Proz4k JBB JustBBall Member

We need an Offensive Coach and Defensive Coach :

12. dingking

dingking JBB JustBBall Member

That's a good idea. The whole team might be refreshing if a new coach is coming. Support the idea.

13. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

I don't blame JVG so much that he needs to be fired. He has many new faces to work with, and it may be partly his fault (come on he is the coach), but it's not all of his fault.

I kinda wished we picked up J-Kid, he would have really fit this team well and I believe he would have taken care of our most important needs. Assists!, Rebounds!, AND SCORING! He is a legit 3rd scoring option and hes J-Kid.

Oh well I still like Rafer tooo much. give us time I knoooow we havea bright future.

14. aznkillabeez

i dont think its much of the baldheaded wonder's fault .. Your team is only good with the players your working with... They got career losers in DA, Rafer, and Stro..(blazers,raptors, grizz). although DA is posting up good numbers, there is no winning attitude in him...And numbers dont tell the whole story.. Hes not a good team player. And their backcourt are far too old and ineffective. The distribution of the ball is pathetic. They couldnt even pass the ball amongst the guards and get an easy hoop..THey dont provide a spark off the bench like they did last year. They are just good supporting players to some extent but not good enough to Win. When tmac is around they play better since hes the only player who can distribute the ball... If the rox continue playing badly throughout the season they need a change.. Or get the worst record in the nba and pray for number 1 pick.. and hope to get a lebron =p. Or little yao ming yi jian lian. or whatever the young chinese 7 foooter is .. He could be the next dirk if he develops his defensive game.

15. Proz4k

Proz4k JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting aznkillabeez:</div><div class="quote_post">i dont think its much of the baldheaded wonder's fault .. Your team is only good with the players your working with... They got career losers in DA, Rafer, and Stro..(blazers,raptors, grizz). although DA is posting up good numbers, there is no winning attitude in him...And numbers dont tell the whole story.. Hes not a good team player. And their backcourt are far too old and ineffective. The distribution of the ball is pathetic. They couldnt even pass the ball amongst the guards and get an easy hoop..THey dont provide a spark off the bench like they did last year. They are just good supporting players to some extent but not good enough to Win. When tmac is around they play better since hes the only player who can distribute the ball... If the rox continue playing badly throughout the season they need a change.. Or get the worst record in the nba and pray for number 1 pick.. and hope to get a lebron =p. Or little yao ming yi jian lian. or whatever the young chinese 7 foooter is .. He could be the next dirk if he develops his defensive game.</div>

Too much bullshit in one post.

It's may take all night to respond to all this...

16. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting drm2dnk:</div><div class="quote_post">So Van gundy's system is old, then how come he can't seem to make even his defense work? They can't guard the 3, and they can't box out to grab rebounds. Positioning problem? It's either you guard the 3 well, or you guard the inside well, but rockets aren't doing either. It's easy to have a low scoring game, just run down the clock every possession and miss shots like what they're doing.

A new system sounds good right now.</div>
    You know, the defense is still the best in the NBA. It's just the offense that has problems, and I won't think that Van Gundy is the root of them. With Jason Kidd injured last year, the Nets were the worst offensive team in the NBA, but every one who knows basketball will know that won't be the case with Kidd back. I think McGrady and Houston are in the same sort of situation now.

Even though we have been rebounding poorly, whose fault is it? A team whose best rebounder is a 39 year old backup and an injured 6-5 guard shouldn't have such lofty expectations place on them rebounding wise. Last year, when we started out poorly, we were averaging 38 rebounds a game. Once we get things on track, I think we'll be sitting at 41 or so, definitely not a bad number.

17. drm2dnk

I'm surprised when rockets can't guard the 3 over and over again and don't box out that you say rockets are the best defense. LOL..i don't know from what point makes you say rockets are best defense other than they keep low scoring game in which all they need to do is to run down the clock and miss shots. You just can't label rockets best defense because they are being scored at low scoring. They are being outscored by the opposition by 10+ points that isn't good defense

18. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting drm2dnk:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm surprised when rockets can't guard the 3 over and over again and don't box out that you say rockets are the best defense. LOL..i don't know from what point makes you say rockets are best defense other than they keep low scoring game in which all they need to do is to run down the clock and miss shots. You just can't label rockets best defense because they are being scored at low scoring. They are being outscored by the opposition by 10+ points that isn't good defense</div>
    Have you cared to look up the stats before making such a stupid assessment? The Rockets are fourth in the league in points allowed per game at 89, and are second in defensive field goal percentage at 42.2%. Just two games ago, we were first in both those categories. We are actually outreboudning opponents by a slight margin.

19. michael_wang

michael_wang JBB JustBBall Member

I don't agree! Jeff VanGundy may not the best coach in NBA, he may not optimize YaoMing's energy, but he is the best man on defense. No doubt you can't win a game without offense. however, again, Rocket's offense problem can't be solved by firing coach. Take a look at Rocket Bench, can you tell anyone can score double digit number except Yao and T-mac? If someone has to blame, first, YaoMing, without excuse, he did not generate anything exciting for fans. most of time, Rockets are 4 to 5 in the fourth quarter with Yao on the field. Second, Rocket GM sucks, can any one tell why he traded Mike James to Raptors for Rafer Alston? Such an unforgiven mistake. Besides, he traded Swift, who just has KG's jump and shape. Swift does not know anything about basketball, even in Chinese basketball league, such player does not desire a starting role. Last, if Rocket fired Jeff now, and found someone good at offense. Then the situation will get worse and worse. without VanGundy's defense, tiny ability to score, Rocket would be far away from playoff.

20. aznkillabeez

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">Have you cared to look up the stats before making such a stupid assessment? The Rockets are fourth in the league in points allowed per game at 89, and are second in defensive field goal percentage at 42.2%. Just two games ago, we were first in both those categories. We are actually outreboudning opponents by a slight margin.</div>
    I agree with your assessment on that the backup players arent good enough. But statistics wise it doesn't tell the whole story.. I'd rather the rox have mediocre stats and win, rather have good defensive stats and lose. Whats the point of having the best defensive stats and losing by 5-12 points in the end. A <u>lost</u> is a <u>lost</u> for all i care. But its too early on the season to be thinkin of an axe.. However anything less than the playoffs is unacceptable for the rox. Rox players have to stand up and be counted if they want to get their winning streak back on track.