Fire Van Gundy Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by drm2dnk, Nov 23, 2005.

1. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting RockStar:</div><div class="quote_post">
    I will stop posting in this forum.</div>

[​IMG]

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting RockStar:</div><div class="quote_post">

Coaches dont make trades?

Yeah, u can say coaches dont sign off the trades. But every1 know the coaches have big involvement in almost every trade.

Most of the time, GM tried to get what coach want except for cap space or salary reasons OR GM will discuss with the coach who's available and who should they pick.

Ev1 understand the coach have great involvement in picking players. There is why so many ex-knicks came to play for Houston.

</div>
    Unlike what you think, I do not abuse my power. My job to make sure this board is full of quality ideas, without any distracting posts and basically posts which are detrimental to the overall look of this forum. I do not know which specific post that I've deleted of yours, but the only ones I do delete are:
    1) one-liners
    2) profanity
    3) offensive to a certain race
    4) does not add anything productive to thread and forum

If you've had a post deleted by me, then it's most likely you've broken one of those rules, and it's in my duty to at least edit your post, or delete it. Also, your post also most likely broke the JBB Guidelines. If you have any further questions to ask, feel free to give me a Private Message. If you have any complaints, please direct it to the Admin Drop Box. The admins will punish me if they see that I have abused my power, but you'll need solid proof.

Please do not let any mistake by me or dislike of me stop you from posting in this forum. Everyone's output is appreciated and even though we might not see eye-to-eye on some things, I have always appreciated your contribution.

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">During my two and a half months as a “co-worker”, I never saw him smile. Not once. As an intern covering the Houston Rockets for the team’s official website, I would run into Rockets head coach Jeff Van Gundy on multiple occasions during my time there, and I never saw him smile. He would smirk. He would stifle a laugh. He would furrow his eyebrows and think intensively; apparently annoyed at the line of questioning that was thrown his way. But he never smiled.

I remember when I was able to get my first interview with Coach Van Gundy. I was both thrilled and nervous. After all, I figured Van Gundy would see me as a rookie in the sports industry and surely felt that my questions deserved nothing less then sedimentary answers, even though I had spent hours upon hours thinking up questions. The “appointment” (it was much more of an appointment than an interview) would be at two o’clock in the afternoon and would be taking place a few weeks before training camp would begin. I waited around with the director of media relations for the Rockets, waiting outside of Van Gundy’s offense until we received the “okay” to enter his kingdom. Fortunately, he was right on time. I walked in, scared out of my shoes since this was a man I had respected and looked up to ever since he was an assistant coach with the New York Knicks approximately nine years ago. However, this was also the same man who had the gall to tell Michael Jordan that he manipulated opponents as being their friend so that they’ll ease up and so he could rip them apart on the basketball court.

Van Gundy was sitting at a long desk about ten feet from the door entrance. Tired bags wore deep impressions beneath his eyes, a sign of the late nights watching game tape or drawing up plays. He bore a white shirt with black, bolded lettering of “Houston Rockets.” A TV was situated on the opposite wall, and a box of Rockets’ coaches’ shirts was placed beside his desk. There were two seats, and then a bench (or seat, I couldn’t remember) along the backside of the wall. I walked up and shook his hand as the director, Nelson, introduced me and asked that coach “take it easy on him since he’s new and young.”
    </div>

Full Story

Check out this nice piece written by JBB's own Shooter, and as many of you know, beat writer for a few well known Rockets sites. Let's hope his honest-to-god view of Van Gundy will help a few of you ease up on the coach.

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">Full Story

Check out this nice piece written by JBB's own Shooter, and as many of you know, beat writer for a few well known Rockets sites. Let's hope his honest-to-god view of Van Gundy will help a few of you ease up on the coach.</div>
    Nope. Still want him gone.............

5. side45wayz

side45wayz JBB JustBBall Member

GOD, It is soooo embarrassing to have you non-informed fair-weathered fans here in Houston. Van Gundy is a great coach, not good, but great. Let me take a wild guess, all you fans who complain about Van Gundy are the same fans who would show up for the games mid-second quarter to half-time (if you ever did go the games) and leave a few minutes early to "beat that traffic". Most of you Rocket fans are pathetic. We'll see were all you stand when we are making noise in the playoffs. And I'll remember each one of you !@#$!

6. steam03

steam03 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting side45wayz:</div><div class="quote_post">GOD, It is soooo embarrassing to have you non-informed fair-weathered fans here in Houston. Van Gundy is a great coach, not good, but great. Let me take a wild guess, all you fans who complain about Van Gundy are the same fans who would show up for the games mid-second quarter to half-time (if you ever did go the games) and leave a few minutes early to "beat that traffic". Most of you Rocket fans are pathetic. We'll see were all you stand when we are making noise in the playoffs. And I'll remember each one of you !@#$!</div>
    haha..dude..

ppl are complaining about jvg cause they r all mad about how rockets r doing now. jvg has no offensive plays, therefore we rank 29th in ppg in the nba right now. (main reason we r always below opponents points this yr) ya, jvg is a great D coach so we rank 2nd now in opponents points allowed. but what's the point of defense when we got absolutely no offense. so what if rockets hold opponent below 85 when we r below 75? ppl are fed up with the consistency of D breakdown at the end of games which created loses. the D rotations r just not right for rockets. opponents just do a pick and roll and the whole rockets team are flying around-yao even ended up chasing down the 3s.........when we got no O going, its pointless to hv D, or a D coach if u want.

o, and i dont think i hv to go to the games to see the game. mayb i have a tv at home or a computer. i don't even leave a few minutes early to "beat that traffic" cause i don't have to. i would love to go to the games but too bad its miles again. isn't it great for rockets to hv fans internationally?

i ll b happy if rockets r making noise in the playoffs. but even if they don't, i ll surely remember that there is such big jvg fan out there, !@#$!..

.....diu ...=.="

7. side45wayz

side45wayz JBB JustBBall Member

Van Gundy's D is what is going to save us. The reason why there is so many breakdowns this year is the same reason why we struggled last year. New players have to adjust to the new style of play. We have four new players in our rotation (getting major minutes) and McGrady has been absent almost all year. There is bound to be a learning curve. And now everyone is trying to call for the head of Van Gundy. Know this, we will be where we need to be by the end of the season and it will be because of Van Gundy.

8. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ClutchCity:</div><div class="quote_post">So, who still thinks that JVG isnt the problem. I know there are 4-5 of yall out there.</div>

I dont think he's the problem...I still like our team and would like to see them play at full health before I make any judgments...

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

If any coach needs to be fired, I think you have to start wondering what the assistant coaches have really accomplished. The assistant coaches are primarily responsible for player development, and I don't think anyone has been blown away with Yao Ming's progress. He's had marginal improvement each year, but hasn't really broken out. I like Yao, I think he was worth the max deal, but I don't think he's being used properly and hasn't learned how to dominate a game consistently. I put this on the coaching staff for not finding out a way to motivate Yao.

10. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">If any coach needs to be fired, I think you have to start wondering what the assistant coaches have really accomplished. The assistant coaches are primarily responsible for player development, and I don't think anyone has been blown away with Yao Ming's progress. He's had marginal improvement each year, but hasn't really broken out. I like Yao, I think he was worth the max deal, but I don't think he's being used properly and hasn't learned how to dominate a game consistently. I put this on the coaching staff for not finding out a way to motivate Yao.</div>

What exactly does Patrick Ewing do on the coaching staff? Apparently, Tibbido (sp?) was the one working with Yao during summer on post moves.

11. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">What exactly does Patrick Ewing do on the coaching staff? Apparently, Tibbido (sp?) was the one working with Yao during summer on post moves.</div>

I have no idea what Ewing does for the club. I assumed he was brought in to work with the big men because he played in JVG's system and can direct them on what they need to do.

12. Iguodala

Iguodala JBB JustBBall Member

Well also Mutombo is an 'assistant' coach for yao in practice

13. steam03

steam03 JBB JustBBall Member

yao actually has a lot of great legends around him ,who play C, right now to teach him...hope he can gain lots from them