Flip Fired!?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by CUSA Fan, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

From reports I have heard [no source] the Blazers are very interested in the likes of Flip Saunders. I don't know if he would take a management job or replace Cheeks.

Now, I was thinking of possible guys for head coaching jobs. I know McHale is there now, but I don't forsee him being the permanent coach at all.

Any ideas? Phil Jackson is the first that pops into my head. No matter how he left the Laker organazation, he can win.

Any other options?

2. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

I don't know, but this totally came as a shock to me. I knew there would be changes, but never as big as replacing Saunders. Well, for possible replacement coaches, I don't think Phil Jackson would fit. I'm not sure he can deal with so many egos like Cassel and Sprewell, but it might just be me.

3. GarnettKG21

GarnettKG21 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure:</div><div class="quote_post">From reports I have heard [no source] the Blazers are very interested in the likes of Flip Saunders. I don't know if he would take a management job or replace Cheeks.

Now, I was thinking of possible guys for head coaching jobs. I know McHale is there now, but I don't forsee him being the permanent coach at all.

Any ideas? Phil Jackson is the first that pops into my head. No matter how he left the Laker organazation, he can win.

Any other options?</div>

It would be excellent if Phil came back to coach us.

4. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Phil would come back for Minny, I think he could get his 10th ring here, but would he be able to co-exist with Sprewell, or will Sprewell be gone before the break?

5. the main event

the main event JBB JustBBall Member

WOW! [​IMG] i didn't beileved somone will have the balls to kick the flip flik.
    i just wonder what KG thinks of the move after all he had been under flips coaching since been his rookie days...

6. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

that is the worst thing to do besides trading garnett. bad move. i doubt Flip will sit home for a long time. i think knicks will hire him and put herb williams back as an assistant. ..............(what kind of name is herb [​IMG]) sorry off subject [​IMG]

7. KG is the MVP

KG is the MVP JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AznxBaller:</div><div class="quote_post"> I'm not sure he can deal with so many egos like Cassel and Sprewell, but it might just be me.</div>

He won three rings with Kobe on his team, so egos aren't a problem for him.

The only way that the Wolves can redeem themselves for wrongfully firing Flip would be for them to get Larry Brown(next season) or Phil Jackson(whenever).

8. Timberwolf

Timberwolf JBB JustBBall Member

It's a shame that Flip Saunders lost his job. I don't think it's Flip's fault. I am saddened that he is gone. I think he deserved better. It's a shame that he has to take the blame for the stupidity of some of his players and the fact that his players are losers. This is not his fault, folks. The one guy who should be going is Kevin McHale, the incompentent GM of the Timberwolves. I am dissapointed he is not fired. He should have been fired with Flip.

McHale has the remainder of the season to get this team to the playoffs or he gets the boot in my mind. He should have been fired today. Hell he should have been fired in 2001 when the Wolves got swept by the Mavericks in the first round. McHale has so many mistakes as the GM of the team.

Glen Taylor has clearly sent a message to McHale. He has put McHale in the frying pan to go coach the team. McHale is in a no-win situation. He has no coachng experience and he has not care much about being a coach. He is expected to not only get to the playoffs, but to get to the third round at least. I just don't think McHale has that coaching ability. Taylor clearly had enough of this so now he is giving McHale a huge task. At this point, no other coach can get the most out of the team.

As for next year, who knows. If McHale somehow gets his Wolves team in the third round, he should stay only as a coach not a GM. I am hellbent about the Wolves getting a new GM. I am thinking either Jerry West or Sonics GM Rick Sund, who is in his final year of his contract in Seattle. I want either of those two to be the GM next year regardless if McHale is successful or not as a coach. McHale should stay on as a coach only if he does a great job. If McHale fails, he will be fired so we will have a new GM and a coach. In the events of McHale being fired as a coach, I would love to see Sonics lame duck coach Nate McMillan coach the Timberwolves. He would be a great fit.

Oh and I hope Flip's worthless assistant coaches of Sidney Lowe, Don Zierden, and Jerry Schiting all take the boot too. Those three bring zero value to this team.

As for Flip, I am saddened he is gone, but I won't shed tears for him. He is getting paid to sit at home and he will likely coach for a NBA team next year. If I am Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak, I talk contract with Flip right now before some other team takes him. I could see the Knicks hiring Flip next year since he is one coach that has gotten the most out of Stephon Marbury not to mention he is the only coach that Marbury seemed to love playing for. He will be back as a head coach. I think it's the Timberwolves loss. I wish him the best of luck to him and his family. Maybe being fired is a good thing for him. You can only stay for so long. I think going elsewhere may be the best thing for his coaching career.

As for McHale, he eithers puts up or shut up. He is on the hot seat.

9. Timberwolf

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure:</div><div class="quote_post">

Any other options?</div>

Here are my three options for the new head-coach

1) Nate McMillan (he is a free agent after next year. He is in his last year of his contract in Seattle)
    2) Eric Musselman (he is the son of former Timberwolves coach Bill Musselman, who was the first coach of the Timberwolves.)
    3) Rick Adelman (he is in his last year of his contact in Sacramento)

I will be very suprised if Phil Jackson coaching the Timberwolves. I don't see it happening. It would not suprise me if he does not coach again.

10. Timberwolf

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CUSA Fan:</div><div class="quote_post">The question is, why is McHale the one to replace Flip as head coach? McHale has no head coach experience and now he has the duty of two jobs in the organization. This just will add to more dissapointment and more losses this season. I'm disgusted right now as a T'Wolves fan. I know Timberwolf, a fellow T'Wolves fan, will be furious and will be all over McHale on this one.</div>

I did not think McHale saw this coming himself. I think Glen Taylor confronted him about being the coach and McHale was not going to say no. I think Friday's loss was the last straw. Taylor thinks McHale is the guy who brought those guys and that he is the guy who should lead these guys. McHale is getting what he deserve. Had McHale been thinking coaching change, he would have talked to Eric Musselman last week about the job.

This is obviously a irrational move, but a move that had to be made. Flip's assistant coaches were not going to get it done as head coaches.

11. Timberwolf

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Purple Fever:</div><div class="quote_post">
    I really think McHale made this move to save his butt!!</div>

This was not McHale's idea to be the head coach. Glen Taylor, who owns the Timberwolves, ordered McHale to be the head coach.

12. Timberwolf

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting the main event:</div><div class="quote_post">
    i just wonder what KG thinks of the move after all he had been under flips coaching since been his rookie days...</div>

KG is a big boy. He has to deal with it. He knows business can be pretty cold and today someone paid the price. He has no time to wallow in self-pity considering he is playing for McHale's future in Minnesota and possibly his own future in Minnesota.

13. Timberwolf

It's a shame that Flip Saunders lost his job. I don't think it's Flip's fault. I am saddened that he is gone. I think he deserved better. It's a shame that he has to take the blame for the stupidity of some of his players and the fact that his players are losers. This is not his fault, folks. The one guy who should be going is Kevin McHale, the incompentent GM of the Timberwolves. I am dissapointed he is not fired. He should have been fired with Flip.

McHale has the remainder of the season to get this team to the playoffs or he gets the boot in my mind. He should have been fired today. Hell he should have been fired in 2001 when the Wolves got swept by the Mavericks in the first round. McHale has so many mistakes as the GM of the team.

Glen Taylor has clearly sent a message to McHale. He has put McHale in the frying pan to go coach the team. McHale is in a no-win situation. He has no coachng experience and he has not care much about being a coach. He is expected to not only get to the playoffs, but to get to the third round at least. I just don't think McHale has that coaching ability. Taylor clearly had enough of this so now he is giving McHale a huge task. At this point, no other coach can get the most out of the team.

As for next year, who knows. If McHale somehow gets his Wolves team in the third round, he should stay only as a coach not a GM. I am hellbent about the Wolves getting a new GM. I am thinking either Jerry West or Sonics GM Rick Sund, who is in his final year of his contract in Seattle. I want either of those two to be the GM next year regardless if McHale is successful or not as a coach. McHale should stay on as a coach only if he does a great job. If McHale fails, he will be fired so we will have a new GM and a coach. In the events of McHale being fired as a coach, I would love to see Sonics lame duck coach Nate McMillan coach the Timberwolves. He would be a great fit.

Oh and I hope Flip's worthless assistant coaches of Sidney Lowe, Don Zierden, and Jerry Schiting all take the boot too. Those three bring zero value to this team.

As for Flip, I am saddened he is gone, but I won't shed tears for him. He is getting paid to sit at home and he will likely coach for a NBA team next year. If I am Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak, I talk contract with Flip right now before some other team takes him. I could see the Knicks hiring Flip next year since he is one coach that has gotten the most out of Stephon Marbury not to mention he is the only coach that Marbury seemed to love playing for. He will be back as a head coach. I think it's the Timberwolves loss. I wish him the best of luck to him and his family. Maybe being fired is a good thing for him. You can only stay for so long. I think going elsewhere may be the best thing for his coaching career.

As for McHale, he eithers put up or shut up. He is on the hot seat.

14. phunky420

phunky420 JBB JustBBall Member

What a loser orginization. I hate when they fire good coaches because players are losers and are butt hurt about their pay. Why the hell would the timberwolves pay spree and cassell big money extensions? They are OLD....

Sorry T fans, but i hope the wolves crash and burn the rest of the season....they deserve it.

15. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

I know it has been said, but AznxBaller, if Jackson can win three rings with Bryant and O'Neal, I think he can deal with Sprewell and Cassell.

And from an article hot off the press this morning, Saunders promised he would not coach again this year. When asked if he would accept the Lakers or Knicks job, he again repeated that he won't be coaching this year.

16. AA13

AA13 JBB JustBBall Member

I think this is a good move for the Wolves. They needed to make a change and hopefully this is what they needed. Kevin McHale coaching won't be for the whole year. IMO he's just a replacment until the Wolves can find a real coach.

There have been some rumors that Phil Jackson will coach the Wolves. I think that would be a great move for the Wolves. If Phil was considering coaching the Lakers and Knicks then he will definatly put this job into consideration. He's already stated that he wants to get back into coaching. The Wolves have the talent to win a championship they just need to build team chemistry and learn to play together. Phil is just the coach to build a chemistry and trust between the players. I wouldn't be surprised to see Phil on the Wolves bench by playoff time or the beginning of next season.

17. Pure

Pure JBB Graphic Design

Actually, McHale has stated that he will finish the year as the head coach. After the season he will continue his General Manager work ; looking for a new coach.

18. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Well, he didn't have a hot start as they lost to the Bulls.

19. MagicForEver123

MagicForEver123 JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually, McHale has stated that he will finish the year as the head coach. After the season he will continue his General Manager work ; looking for a new coach.</div>

Actually McHale is Vice President, the highest-ranking basketball official in Minnesota, GM is Jim Stack and has to report to McHale.

But I sometimes also think that McHale is GM, just because he does so many thinks GMs of other teams do and VPs normally act from behind the scenes.

20. Timberwolf

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting phunky420:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Sorry T fans, but i hope the wolves crash and burn the rest of the season....they deserve it.</div>

It wouldn't break my heart if McHale lose all the games because it would mean he would be gone.

If they win, great. If they lose, I won't be upset anymore even though I don't have to like it.