Flip Saunders will Stay

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by SunnyD, Jun 11, 2007.

1. SunnyD

SunnyD Sexiest Poster Alive (Yessir)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- The Detroit Pistons have no plans to fire coach Flip Saunders despite disappointing endings the past two seasons."Just because we haven't gotten to the [NBA] Finals, it doesn't mean Flip has done a bad job," Joe Dumars, president of basketball operations Dumars said Monday.Dumars added that the team doesn't plan drastic changes this offseason."We don't have a fire sale going on," Dumars said.With four of the same starters, the Pistons have lost in the Eastern Conference finals as the top-seeded team the past two seasons after winning a title in 2004 and falling just short of repeating the following year.Dumars said his No. 1 priority is re-signing point guard Chauncey Billups when he becomes a free agent next month. He plans to bring back most of his key players.Rasheed Wallace has been the subject of trade rumors in the week since the Cleveland Cavaliers eliminated Detroit."You're talking about the guy that was our best and most consistent player in the playoffs," Dumars said. "He's probably also the guy that is the most volatile and crosses the line at times, but I have to balance that."Wallace and Saunders have struggled to coexist the past two seasons. If that persists, Dumars insists he will not let that lead to the unraveling of the team."If we can't get it done, I'll make changes," Dumars said. "I wouldn't blink an eye about it."The Pistons have received calls from other teams looking to make moves with major players, but Dumars said it's easier to talk about blockbuster trades than to pull them off."This is not fantasy basketball," he said.While Dumars intends to bring back many familiar faces, he doesn't plan on begging his players to work hard or to allow them to casually prepare for games."If you come back with the same corps, the only difference is this would be the first time that they're coming back with this mandate," he said. "Complacency is the worst thing you can have in sports, and that's not going to be the calling card of our team going forward. I know that's been the tag labeled on us, and deservedly so a lot of times, but it won't be going forward."</div>Not great news, but Dumars probably knows wha the is doing. I would love to see Dumars coach Detroit, but not before Terry Porter.

2. Chris

Chris BBW Elite Member

As long as they can guarantee the same from Chauncey, they're all good. [​IMG]

3. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

I don't think it means that much right now. Whether the intention is for Flip to return or not, they are going to say the right things to the media. Same thing about Chauncey, trades, etc. I still wouldn't be surprised if Flip is gone.

4. Bad BoY RiP 32

Bad BoY RiP 32 BBW Member

The Keeping of Flip is not new news, but the "Dumars added that the team doesn't plan drastic changes this offseason" statement gets Piston fans thinking. If there are no drastic changes, then how do we expect to get out of the Eastern Conference finals? I think I know what Joe D has in mind this coming off season. -First I think he is looking towards drafting either Acie Law or Rodney Stuckey with the 15th pick and try to find the best available player w/ the 27th pick.-Secondly re-sign Chauncey, see if there are any tempting trade offers.-Lastly decide who is going to be the starting center, sign 1 or 2 players to improve the bench.In conclusion I think Joe D wants to take another stab at the title w/ the team he has. If it comes out the same result as in this year's playoffs then I think it will be time for those drastic changes. HoLLa baCk

5. Ripcity32

Ripcity32 BBW Member

-I expect Flip to coach the Pistons next year and I don't see him getting replaced before the next season. Davidson is probably sick of paying off coaches and there are not any better ones to get right now.-I don't see Chauncey not signing here. I also see Amir resigning.-"Dumars added that the team doesn't plan drastic changes this offseason" I think Dumars won't make a huge trade unless there is one he can't refuse. JMax. and Amir will be there biggest "changes" will them getting their chance to play the next season and at least one of our draft picks should get time next season w/ the team.