For those of you who value analytics, Anfernee Simons is having one of the worst seasons of all time

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by A$AP Meyers, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Although the team is still not doing well when he's on the court:
    upload_2021-2-10_11-44-13.png

Darkwebs likes this.
  2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

in 5 of the 7 games since that 26 point showing, he scored 51 points on 53 shots. Overall, in those games, he scored 77 on 70 shots. That's 1.1 points a shot, which is fairly poor efficiency. He really needs to finish better as he's only shooting 37% on two's. He also has to find a way to get to the FT line; he's only made 11 FT's in 20 games. A 69% 3ptFGA rate is probably too high; he's good enough on dribble-drives to significantly increase his FT rate

yeah, the Blazers are 19.9 points/100-possessions better when Simons is off the court than when he's on. Melo is the next worse at -10.2

that's a crazy number, but he may spend less time on the floor with Dame than any other Blazer. That will skew the numbers a bit

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    UKRAINEFAN and Darkwebs like this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Still not a point guard. Never has been. I think the only guy that still thinks he is is the one person whose opinion matters. Cool cool.

RoseCityRebel likes this.
  4. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I heard the two he made last night was only his second 2PT field goal in like 9 games. That is a crazy stat. One trick pony, but at least shooting threes is the one skill you want.

I'm more concerned with him defensively. The effort is there but the fundamentals are all completely wrong. He's the guy you show to to tell them how not to play defense. May be the worst defensive player on the team, and that's saying a lot considering who else is on it....

42N8Bounce likes this.
  5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Olshey better be willing to put him in a trade because he’s got more value there for Portland than on the court. He’s a SG and we’re set there.

6. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

You have seen Enes Kanter play, yes? The angles he takes while guarding P&R action in drop coverage makes me throw stuff at my TV

Scalma likes this.
  7. wizenheimer

Kanter is bad, although I don't think he's quite as bad as you are saying. But at least Kanter carries a defensive rebound rate of 31.4%. That's a big component of overall defense. Simons doesn't provide anything like that

Simons is obviously bad at defense. Less obvious, but just about as bad on defense as Simons, has been Trent

B-Roy likes this.
  8. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Yeah, it's more obvious with Kanter because as a big you're going to be in every action. But the way Anfernee tries to "navigate" around screens is just baffling. He purposely runs himself into screens that he can see coming a mile away. Then half the time he will overreact and barrel through the screener or expend a ton of effort to go careening into the ball handler. This is basic shit. The coaches are probably not helping.

But like others have mentioned, you can probably pick any one of Melo, Kanter, Ant, Gary, or Hood on any given night. They're all worse than bad and any one player can give up 10+ points by themselves in a single game. Dame isn't helping in that regards either.

9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I don’t get how a seven footer is so bad at protecting the rim. He’s not the only center with average to below average athleticism yet he looks so much worse than anybody else. And his footwork on the offensive end is elite. Idk what it is, his instincts and fundamentals are zero.

10. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

I been saying it. Other than 3s he occasionally hits this guy gives you literally nothing productive whatsover.

11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

i really wonder who taught him to play this way. how can a guy who is so tenacious on the offensive glass and has perfect instincts on rebounding on that end be so poor on the other? his rim protection stats are easily amongst the worst in the league.

12. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Neil better put his ass on the trade Block. It’s painful to watch him on defense

13. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    I feel like Stotts is finally reading the handwriting on the wall:
    1. Simons absolutely is not a point guard.
    2. Hood can basically do the same job at pretending to be a PG that Simons can, and he's a vet so you are giving him minutes anyway.
    3. If the above two things are true, what is the argument for playing Simons over Little? Little is bigger, a better defender, more aggressive at driving, has more upside, and is an even better three point shooter.

Simons played 9 minutes last night and Little got 19, even while Little wasn't shooting that well (2-8).

AldoTrapani and GrandpaBlaze like this.
  14. wizenheimer

CJ returning will solve the Hood/Simons puzzle....until CJ is traded for Harden, Durant, and three 1sts because, you know, the first 12 games of the season (is that how it's done?)

15. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

I was just checking his stats for the past 10 games. Still at two made 2-pointers.

20/45 3PT 44%
    2/11 2PT
    5/6 FT
    27 REB = 6.0 per 36
    0.588 TS%
    0.667 TS% on 3’s

Besides his 3 point shooting he’s grabbing a lot of rebounds. I think that’s a good sign.

Darkwebs, Orion Bailey and B-Roy like this.
  16. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I call bullshit. He’s been helpful. We need CJ back though

bobf and RoseCityRebel like this.
  17. RoseCityRebel

RoseCityRebel Well-Known Member

Mercenary
    I absolutely feel the same about Gary Trent Jr on defense. He moves well, he has good size, has great effort, but he lacks instincts or something. I can’t figure it out. If he figures it out, he’s a Wes Matthews but much younger into his career.

He’s only 22. Simons is only 21.

As for Simons, is there a real reason he’s still playing point instead of being a taller version and much more athletic version of Seth Curry? What’s going on there?

18. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Would a real big man coach help?

19. wizenheimer

count the PG's:

upload_2021-3-6_10-28-34.png

Orion Bailey, bobf and JDC like this.
  20. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Scoring points efficiently is a big deal. His defense is still bad but getting better. He rebounds well for a guard, especially for such a light-weight. In fact he grabs more rebounds per 36 than Carmelo and 2x as much as Gary. His rebounding is a good sign of bball savvy and anticipation.

Overall he’s nothing special... yet... but IF he can ever learn to finish around the rim I expect he will become a special player. He’s actually a very good passer, but having zero ability to finish around the rim, he can’t draw the defense to himself, so he has no one to pass to.

Darkwebs likes this.