For those of you who value analytics, Anfernee Simons is having one of the worst seasons of all time

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by A$AP Meyers, Feb 23, 2020.

1. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    and has dual citizenship with an American mom.

2. CupWizier

retired
    Stotts has always given the green light to any player that has a quality look.

3. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Unfortunately he signed him to a one year contract while the club was in a difficult financial situation (that Olshey put them in) that made it impossible to re-sign Curry.

4. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
    He needs to start making some shots.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    One of Anfernee's worst problems is, I think, his attitude. He seems to get down on himself very easily. This is good in moderation (otherwise you're JR Smith or Dion Waiters) but I think he tightens up. Maybe the problem is thinking he's going to get yanked. People forget but he was pretty terrible at the start of that one game against the Kings (that artificially raised our hopes), but the fact that there was literally nobody on the bench to take his place allowed him to settle in for the comeback. I'd honestly like it if Dame and CJ sat out one of the scrimmages.

It's a shame the NBA doesn't have a "loan" system (beyond the G-League, which would be seen as an insult) like they have in European Football. (For example, two key players on Leeds United were on loan from Man City and Brighton, respectively. They got to play and prove their worth when there just wouldn't've been the minutes for them (at least, for Harrison and Man City.))

Of course, the problem could just be that he's never going to get the hang of this whole "team sport" thing. But if only we could showcase him so that he could have a couple more games like that Sacramento game so that some dumb team thinks he's got star potential.

bobf and Orion Bailey like this.
  6. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Seth Curry was our best +/- guy for most of last season. It always bemused me that he didn't get more minutes.

AldoTrapani and PtldPlatypus like this.
  7. CupWizier

retired
    and if Dallas didn't put themselves in a financial situation they would have originally retained him.

8. CupWizier

retired
    Did you watch post season Curry? He wasn't very effective. I would have liked to keep him, but we knew going in it wasn't possible and it's nothing but water under the bridge now.

9. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

I find it very difficult to understand what people see in Simons. He is potentially what? Another high volume shooter? At best, CJ with less D? AT BEST. Is that even a good thing?

What's worse is Simons doesn't even seem to get it. He's just in their squandering leads and missing shots instead of finding where he fits.

Gary on the other hand...

10. CupWizier

retired
    An at best McCollum would be a huge bargain at the position in the draft he was taken at.

Propagandist likes this.
  11. Propagandist

True. I'm mostly responding to the hype, I suppose.

Speaking of huge bargain at their draft position: Gary mfing Trent Jr!!! I think Gary being so good seems to have negatively impacted Simons. Dude is a revelation!

12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Reminds me alot of patty mills. Not Ptown patty, but SA patty.
    Def. A steal and a keeper. Let him run the second unit!

Propagandist likes this.
  13. CupWizier

retired
    Trent has definitely stepped up his game and has earned rotation minutes. Simons is still young and has the potential to still improve a lot. Here is an interesting comparison between Simons at 20 and Seth Curry at 25.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...player_id2=curryse01&idx=bbr__players&y2=2016

HailBlazers and SlyPokerDog like this.
  14. UKRAINEFAN

un-retired
    Well, they got Porzingis and Doncic out of their maneuvering and still got Curry back; so I think they really did OK.

Propagandist likes this.
  15. CupWizier

retired
    they have done fine but that had nothing to do with what I posted either.

16. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Supposedly he has all the shooting range of Dame and CJ, plus otherworldly athleticism beyond them.

What he doesn't have is the 4 years of seasoning at the college level that really helped develop the starters ahead of him.

HailBlazers and Propagandist like this.
  17. Propagandist

I've heard these things, notably from Olshey, and I still don't get it. I started the season VERY high on Simons. I bought into the hype a little. But he has been awful awful. Like come into the game with a lead and leave with a deficit 90% of the time awful. How, in Dame's prime, is this worth it? It's perplexing.

And while many have wondered if two diminutive guards can carry a team, what about three?!? I'm just saying if best case scenario is a CJ comp, half the fans don't even want CJ on this team! @CupWizier posted a side-by-side with Seth above and I'm thinking: wow, Seth would be great to have again, NOT that they are similar by any means. Seth is a boon and a team player; Anfernee is just playing crunch.

18. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Why are you comparing these two? They are nowhere near the same level of production.

19. CupWizier

retired
    My point for posting the comparison was merely to show a player that floundered around in the league for several years and was 25 years old before he was given a minor role and has since found his confidence to become a quality player. Some of you guys want to blame Olshey for over hyping him. Do you not remember that last game against Sac 2 years ago when Simons had that huge game? This forum was going bonkers for Simons and I remember some even hyping him as an all star in a couple years and a possible hall of famer. I am in complete agreement that the kid has struggled big this year, but he is only 20 and on a rookie contract and only in his second year out of high school and people are already writing him off. Patience is what should be in order at this stage. He might not make it, but then again, it might just click for him and he can become a solid contributor. Olshey's job is to hype the team. It's fans jobs to watch and evaluate for themself.

20. CupWizier

retired
    You do realize that the seasons I compared were Curry's 3rd season at 25 years old from a big program like Duke and Simons only 20 and in his second year out of high school. Is Simons at Curry's level now? Absolutely not but there is a 5 year difference in age and a ton of big game experience advantage for Curry. Time will tell if Simons can reach or even exceed that level.