Forget about a SF, the Nets need a PG

Discussion in 'Brooklyn Nets' started by NJ-VC-AI, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ly_yng

ly_yng Active Member

Robot Mailman
    Heh, touche.

I was perhaps a bit more... brash than I should have been.

With that said, I think LeBron's a lot like Wilt - a physically dominating presence who doesn't really have a Bird-like sixth sense for the game. I think he's the best player in the game right now, but I don't think he's necessarily a good decision maker down by 2 with 8 seconds left on the clock. The thing is, he can score on half of his bad decisions, so it doesn't actually matter.

I think Harris is similar - he's blessed with incredible athletic gifts, but not necessarily bball instincts.

Either way, the idea that somehow the missing piece for this team is a point guard is crazy. We're bad enough without having a SG ans SF that half the league can shoot over, and we'd have to give away assets while still staying hopelessly weak at PF, with no depth at center.

2. purplehaze89

purplehaze89 Member

In cap hell is where the Nets might have been.

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Are they willing to pay some luxury tax? Saving up for a shot at LeBron when he's likely to re-sign with Cleveland makes no sense. And who could they get that's better than Jefferson?

4. xflavioVC15x

xflavioVC15x Member

Student
    Harris would have never been this good if we kept RJ

5. purplehaze89

purplehaze89 Member

Lebron is not the only free agent available in 2010. It is all speculative at this point but there is a possibility that who the Nets sign in 2010 will be better than RJ (its not difficult to find a better scorer, rebounder and defender than the prima donna clown that played the 3 for the Nets last year).

6. ly_yng

ly_yng Active Member

Robot Mailman
  7. killa kadafi191

killa kadafi191 A Realist

I see the point you are making. Harris is a great player but at the same time if he is having a bad scoring game it will likely result in a lost for the Nets.

Now a PG of Chris Paul caliber can be effective in various ways other than scoring. I have seen Devin during fast breaks with a man on the side. Now instead of dishing the ball he takes it to the hole and against the Bobcats the shot didn't go down.

I know it's not fair to compare Devin to the best point guard in the game right now but lets be honest. How many successful teams have their been with a score first point guard??

Now a defensive point guard that score and dish the ball. There is a reason Utah and Hornets have experience playoff success. There is a reason why 76ers didn't have to wait too long to return back to playoffs after trading their franchise player. There is a reason Denver is finally among talks of best Western Conference teams.

As I said I see where you were going with this and no where did you said Harris sucked or this or that. You just stated what you feel would helped the Nets.

8. ly_yng

ly_yng Active Member

Robot Mailman
    Isiah Thomas?

9. killa kadafi191

ummmmm

I was actually speaking of this era of teams. In reference to Gilbert Arenas, Marbury, any team that is dumb enough to play AI at the 1 and Steve Francis.

True Thomas only average double figures in assists four times in his career but he was also a great defensive player.The only time Thomas average less than 7 assist a game was his last season. Thomas never averaged more than 25 point a game.

What Harris is doing is valuable but I can see the thread starter point. You have to wonder how far can you get

10. ly_yng

ly_yng Active Member

Robot Mailman
    You mean all those teams built around Tim Duncan, Shaq, Rasheed Wallace, Kevin Garnett, Larry Bird and Kareem Abdul Jaabar?

Or the ones built around Kobe, Dwayne Wade, Paul Pierce and Michael Jordan?

Truth is, you just need elite PLAYERS to win a ring, and it helps if you've got a top-5 forward/center.

Actually, as I think about it, Harris' game this season looks an awful lot like Dwayne Wade's during the Heat's title run.

11. BrooklynBound

BrooklynBound Member

I disagree big-time on LeBron. His court vision and ball handling skills are the reason he's elite, he doesn't just rely on his athleticism to make plays.

12. killa kadafi191

What top five center or forward did Jordan have during his first run? The Pistons were built around Rasheed Wallace? Boston was built around KG? No. Those players were aquire through trades and were more of the last piece.

Pistons went to conference finals the year before Wallace just helped them over the hump. The Pistons were experiencing great success until they traded their point guard for AI. How are the Nuggets doing now?

The direction this team is headed. Who is going to be Harris help? Yi? :biglaugh::biglaugh: plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. The Nets future is very uncertain. They were banking on Lebron which is not going happen.

13. networks

networks Member

This thread is funny.

Hey NJ-VC-AI, I understand what you are saying, but I think we need a better SF and another backup PG. I like when dooling and Harris are on the court together. The perimeter defense gets better. We definitely need a pass first back up PG. It is sad that M. Williams didnt pan out. He had the "court vision" you are talking about. LOL

14. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Bulls had Pippen and Horace Grant during his first run. And a fellow I think is still coaching with the Nets: Bill Cartwright, who was a darned good player even on busted up feet.

15. Boomdog

Boomdog Member

Nets need a real SF/PF end of story. Doesnt have to be an allstar at the 4 but someone who is at least a banger and plays de.

16. CalamityX04

CalamityX04 Member

Cartwright is with PHX now under Porter's staff.

An upgrade to SF is certainly always welcome but Bobby hasn't been bad, i mean he's playing his game which is spot up shooting. Simmons can lite the night up but it's not being done every night and that's fine as long as Yi or Brook are picking up slack... i guess what i'm sayin is, unless we make Brook our 3rd scorer, then the role for the SF is perfect for Simmons, but if we're not making Brook(or anyone inside) our 3rd scorer then we will need to look for a 3rd who can create..... I like to see Hassell play D on a PP or LBJ, that's my concern lies, the D from our 3rd is very weak considering the top tier talent at the 3.

PG? i think we're fine where we are, any sore spots can be handled and taken care of. If Devin can open the game a little more for everyone his game will be greatly benefited....

17. Claud

Claud Legendary

Full-time Student
    Tony Parker?

18. killa kadafi191

He said top 5 forward or center. Grant Carthwright were top 5???????????

19. YiOF

YiOF Member

Nets are rebuilding, and we are constantly talking about making roster changes like we are close to winning a championship. Harris is helping the team winning some games right now, which will help young players build some winning mentality and confidence. Even if the Nets are contending, Tony Parker, a similar type of player as Harris, has done alright with the Spurs like a lot of you mentioned.

At this point, would you trade Devin Harris and Yi for Andre Miller and Reggie Evans? Miller is a pass first point guard and Evans is a banger that can defend and rebound. Seems like a lot of people would've liked those players for the Nets.

20. kdub

kdub Cal's best coming to the Swamp!

Haha, good point. Plus we have Tim Duncan's successor so it looks like good times ahead Nets fans!

:NOTMARIS: