Frank: Dribble-Drive Part of the Plan, Not the Plan

Discussion in 'Brooklyn Nets' started by pegs, Sep 26, 2008.

1. pegs

pegs My future wife.

[​IMG]
    I figured this was a given.

Dribble-Drive will be nice when Devin and CDR are in, especially.

Without those 2, might be better off to get Vince the ball and let him do his thing - attract double-teams, make crazy shots, dunk on kids, etc.

2. kdub

kdub Cal's best coming to the Swamp!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SSQv_Ynomoo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SSQv_Ynomoo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm waiting for GMJ to "Nets" this video up Scrubs style.

3. FOMW

FOMW Member

I'd throw Dooling and Anderson in that mix too. Anderson has the range needed as a shooter to be effective in the system and he's also agile enough with the ball to beat some 4s to the hoop. Dooling is very quick off the dribble and would do well from that aspect. He's improved his 3-point shooting enough to be credible there too.

4. YehYeh

YehYeh netsnut

It'll be interesting to see how much dribble-drive we do. It could just be used against some teams depending on matchups or it could be used to spread the floor and slow the game down as in the old North Carolina four-corners. It's a way to make it a one-on-one where there is an advantage. But it all depends on the outside shooting of the open man. Everybody has to shoot. If he can't hit those 15-footers, Boone's man will always sag and play a one-man zone. That means Brook has to play.

5. networks

networks Member

I am happy to hear this. Frank is learning. He used to force feed defenses one F'n play until the defense adjusted. I really hope he mixes things up. The guy gets to be very fustrating sometimes. One more thing Frank play the young guys.

6. Netted

Netted Member

I just hope things get simplified and not too complicated. Adding dribble drive to what we had last year will only make things more complicated.

They need to have a fairly simple offense. Especially if they want to be effective on the defensive end. Players need to fill their heads with defensive assignments and rely more on instinct within a simple offense. One where there is a lot of motion to keep everyone involved and happy to defend.

There is a delicate balance there and I hope the coaching staff finds it.

7. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

If Byron Scott had devised one or two alternatives to the motion offense, Nets might have an NBA Title by this time, Deke might have been a Net a few more years, and Scott might have not been fired during the middle of the '03-'04 season.

A team must always have contingency plans. This is the NBA. Almost every team has experts that are there to figure out how to make opponents have to change from what works best for them.

Teams need a plan B, C, and D. Offensively and defensively.

Besides all the basketball stuff, there is a lot of money at stake, individual-wise and team-wise.

8. YehYeh

YehYeh netsnut

Complicated schemes work better for all-veteran teams, especially if they have been together a year to develop a feel for each other's moves and spots. Young teams need to go simple. Dribble-drive is a relatively simple and natural offense. A lot simpler than Princeton with its long series of cuts and options.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  9. MisterMontross

MisterMontross Member

BUT, young minds are more open to new things.

DUN-DUN-DUN!

10. kdub

kdub Cal's best coming to the Swamp!

If people really think that DDM will only be a small part, or tweak to the offense, check out this tidbit from Jonathan Abrams of NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/sports/basketball/28nets.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

There's also been a lot about the "Blood" practices that Wahlberg has designed into beat reporter's reports and how the players (specifically Harris) have really been enjoying them and calling them really really intense.