OT Free Agency Round The League

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Stauskas really made no sense when we also took Simons and Trent in the draft and gave deals to Baldwin and Curry. Having 8 guards in a 15-man rotation is mental and to be honest I can only maybe see one of them (Trent) ever getting significant minutes at the 3. The rest are basically pure 1s and 2s.

I think it was just to boast that we have a fairly recent high lottery pick on our bench. If we wanted him, we should not have also taken two guards in the draft.

Strenuus, hoopsjock, BBert and 2 others like this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

didn't start one...my post was a reply....if you want a conversation. I'm happy to talk blazers...you're welcome to post anything that isn't personally aimed at me...I've made a clear point about that...enjoy...I'd like to see the place get back to fun and basketball again...as has been pointed out..

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

??

4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We will never use a 15 man rotation...we're going to obviously use the 3 guard small ball game more than before

5. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I figured it was somewhat of a desperate move to put them all in the mix and let the best in-game shooters rise to the top. I don't mind it from that perspective, but am a bit concerned that several will be unhappy with DNPs.

6. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Yes I know a lot of them will not play, I meant 15 man roster. I would however like the rotation to be more flexible rather than have 8 players for two positions and 7 for remaining 3 as lack of balance can hurt you when injuries happen and fatigue kicks in.

7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Much like last year, I think we made those picks in hopes of trading them to another team.

Scalma likes this.
  8. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

The Stauskus deal was a bit of a head scratcher to me, but this was interesting from his draftexpress profile:

Maybe they are more interested in shooters who can run the PnR, than just one-dimensional shooters.

hoopsjock likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

many of our guards can play the 3....some of our bigs can as well....Mo, Stauskas, Trent, Layman, ET are 4 guys who can play the 3...some guys will play the 3 on offense and switch to guarding 2s on defense....we have 7 front court players to rotate...3 of them legit 7 footers...we basically added Baldwin and dropped Pappa G...which I think was a smart move...at the trade deadline if we have issues...we can trade for a positional need.

10. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Caleb is a strong guy who can rebound, shoot from range, and pass. The weaknesses we all see are his lateral mobility defending away from the basket -- which has become way way more important in today's NBA than back in say, the Brian Grant days -- and finishing around the rim. The finishing around the rim thing he should be able to improve on. Unless Caleb is 'not bright', and I've seen no indication of that, I agree he has a chance to stick in the league and have a decent career. I got no problem having Caleb on our bench and putting him in the game when we need some beef.

I loved Ed Davis. He was a joy to watch, and he was a magician in overcoming his limitations and scoring around the basket. But his lack of scoring 5+ feet from the basket was a problem. I think our front court (and our back court) will be better overall than last season. And Caleb has a chance to be part of that, especially if he can rebound and hit the open man.

:cheers:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yes he makes more sense than Connaughton because he’s a better ballhandler. The problem is they also drafted Trent, who’s probably going to prove better than Stauskas on the first day of training camp. Simons might too.

Reep and BBert like this.
  12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

You did that to me for years. I just don't think thin-skinned is an insult or compares to the insults going in around here. In the past month I've been told I have a pathetic life and mocked because of "daddy issues" (I grew up with a brain-injured dad). "Thin-skinned" doesn't compare to that, and I feel like you read those comments and didn't say a word.

13. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Wouldn't it be great if Stauskas can make some of his 'detractors' eat crow this season?

I'm sure we all want that. I'm remaining hopeful until I see how he fits on the team with my own eyes.

Of course, there are only so many minutes to go around, so who knows if he sees the court :dunno:

riverman likes this.
  14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

What would the financial hit be if we just waived him?

15. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Me being a broken record: "Our bench got better."

And I don't mind having so many guards and wings on the team. Roll out the ball and let them fight it out. Competition is good. (Just don't tell that to Kevin Durant. It will hurt his widdew feewings.)

riverman likes this.
  16. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    I hope that's a rhetorical question, because I don't do math! :)

riverman likes this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

history does not have to repeat itself bones....I've never mentioned your dad...sorry to hear about that...let's just not post personal judgements and clean up the culture around here....it's really pretty simple...everybody needs to make the effort to get the forum back on track...Schilly came back and lasted one day...I miss the guy....my suggestions are inclusive..I'm hangin' on to this site by a thread recently and it's sad....just trying to put some perspective on it and see if it takes...good chance it won't....if it keeps up, I'll just paddle into the sunset...no big deal.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    BonesJones likes this.
  18. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Reading that profile makes me wonder (again) what is wrong with Stauskus that he has been unable to carve out a useful niche in the NBA. *On paper* he makes sense for the Blazers. In reality, his career is on life-support.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Ed Davis is on his 5th team along the same line.and just a couple years older than Nik.....before he came to the Blazers he was not a player talked about around the league..One team didn't even play him.much ..coaching, system and chemistry play a big role in how guys fit in....

20. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how he does in the Blazer system. Maybe he was just misused? I'm sure that's what Olshey thinks.