Free Agent Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Millsap or Ed from that group. We need someone who is physical enough to stay with AD, LBJ, and even Zion. Not saying many can, especially for the MLE,
    but we have no one right now. We need someone at least 240 who can guard them out high and down low. (Although Ed is only 225)

2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

ya we desperately need size

3. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

That's why a CJ trade to get that needed PF is vital. There are no Free Agents that really fill that void. Milsap off bench helps, but we need a starting PF like Green.

tester551 likes this.
  4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

yeah but you still need to find a seller. I doubt the warriors are shopping Draymond.

I know we all like to shit on everything Olshey does, but waiting until the deadline really isn’t that bad of an idea. There will be more sellers then.

5. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I'm one of the few who don't. But i think a move before the season is best for ALL teams involved. Simmons makes no sense next to Green IMO. I think CJ is the best remedy for the Sixers situation. Plus they get picks from Golden State in the deal. Philly waiting till the deadline could cause a powderkeg to develop. I think Golden State is thinking they could move on from Green, cause why would they go after Simmons? Simmons and Green together seems redundant.

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

yeah I agree, but are they actually after Simmons? Like, who’s reported that? If true, they would definitely have to trade Draymond.

7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

We might be one of them. I just hope Dame is a bit more patient and doesn't cause more drama before then if we arent winning like we all want.

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  8. Dom McBlazer

Dom McBlazer Well-Known Member

9. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

Speaking of free agents, why are Millsap, Cousins, and Hart still teamless? The first 2 seem worth a gamble in a limited minutes role, and Hart can actually contribute as a rotation player.

10. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

Waiting till the deadline at best means a late run at a low play-off seed and another 1st round mauling. Is that enough to pacify Dame? Is it enough for the fans? If we were to actually make a significant roster change (I know - fat chance) it would be better to make it now and give the team the a chance to gel.

Haakzilla likes this.
  11. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
  12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

You’re just assuming this team is gonna be an eighth seed without knowing anything about Billups’ abilities as a coach. Blazers fans should know by now how much of a difference coaching makes. Also, Powell will have a full training camp with the team and should only get better as his comfort grows. We could also see a third year jump from Nas. The bench at least seems upgraded, and it was one of the biggest weaknesses of the team last season. A trade can still happen before training camp. Point is, we really don’t know what this team is or isn’t. Championships aren’t won in the offseason, so again, I see nothing wrong with actually giving this group and staff a look before making any bigger decisions.

GoBlazersGo and RR7 like this.
  13. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Whats funny is, the players they listed for Portland?

Batum didn't leave, he was traded.
    Wesley would've been re-signed had he not blew out his knee (and pretty much *still* sucks 6 years later).
    Lopez? He wasn't worth the contract he (eventually) signed with the Knicks.
    LaMarcus left because he was insecure about his place in the world.

Not saying Portland is a free agent destination (it's not), but if it's so bad, why do so many former players (who either were drafted here, traded here or signed here) end up staying in Portland?

Chris Craig and Fez Hammersticks like this.
  14. Pinwheel1

Good question. My guess is they all want more money than currently being offered. I like Hart as well but he did struggle with his 3 pt shooting while in New Orleans...so maybe teams are only offering the minimum?

15. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Hart is restricted so I’m guessing teams just figure New Orleans will match any offer sheet. But who even has cap space left anyway?

I’m guessing Millsap is only being offered the minimum, and he’s holding out for more figuring that minimum offer will be there in a month as well.

Cousins? Idk what’s going on there, he should just take whatever he can.

16. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Also, I bet he wouldn't mind missing training camp. That must get old after 30-odd seasons or however many he's been through.

wizenheimer likes this.
  17. Pinwheel1

I wish Cousins could guard a PF on the perimeter. He would make a nice stretch 4. (On offense) He is a good passer and shooter.

Scalma likes this.
  18. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I’m not a huge fan of Simmons offensive game. I mean he can handle the ball and is great in the paint. But makes me think he’s a superstar type difference maker is that he can lock down positions 1-5. He can easily put a teams defense among the best in the league

BBert likes this.
  19. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Agreed. I also think that if he's put in the right situation, his game would flourish. He might never become a solid 3 point shooter, but I don't think that he needs to be to reach his potential.

He also shouldn't be the 3rd option on a team without a playmaker (i.e., if he's playing WITH Dame he's a good 3rd or 4th option. If he's playing on the team WITHOUT Dame, he'd be a horrible 3rd or 4th option). He needs to play with a facilitator.

GoBlazersGo and MickZagger like this.
  20. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Also, the current roster is what made the low playoff seed run last year after the trade deadline, so there's no reason to assume that it would need a similar influx of trade talent this year just to rise to that same level. The front office's idea would be, a trade deadline move this year should push the team significantly higher than that.

GoBlazersGo and Scalma like this.