Free Agents

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by strudwickisthebest, Jun 23, 2018.

1. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

They have a veteran goalie and good young players. Some that have been playing on the team for a while

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

We should take back someone like Girardi or Coburn with a pick/prospect for a year if TB needs to clear space for JT.

3. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    to me i do not want to put out a team that may contend for a WC spot with little to no chance of a real cup run. Its either be a title contender or break up the team start many young players and develop.

4. strudwickisthebest

They’re going to play enough young players this year. If they can compete for a WC spot then great. Shows that the young guys can win. Buffalo and Edmonton have bottomed our for years and had top picks multiple times and they still suck

5. strudwickisthebest

They are reportedly in talks with Leo Komarov.... could have used him a couple years ago during those playoff runs

6. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Still trying to comprehend how losing Grabner, Nash, Miller, McDonough and Holden dooms the Rangers future - makes no sense. They have to get rid of Staal, his number counts for a year after they release him and that $5.7 through '20-'21 has to go.

7. strudwickisthebest

Might sign Rieder... idk how I feel about that. He’s young and can net 20 goals but doesn’t fit the bill with Quinn... I though this team was deviating away from small soft forwards

8. strudwickisthebest

Rangers sign Fredrick Claesson 1 year deal. If I remember correctly from fantasy hockey the guy hits a lot

9. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Panze, are u sure about that. I thought if we buy out were still stuck for that contract of the 2 extra years. If we aren't then I agree we should either trade him or but out and get another kid in there to get some experience

10. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Love the fact we've done nothing. Thank God.

Ranger71 likes this.
  11. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

As usual some of the deals today were out of control (although there were some decent dmen AAV's). JVR for 7 mill per was too much. Komarov for 4 years is too much. I actually think McDonagh's AAV is not terrible at 6.75.

It seems pretty clear now. Their plan is we go with 22 forwards, 7 C's and a questionable D. Numbers don't add up to me, but maybe this is their plan in a total punt of a year for us. 1st pick or bust next season.

I think we'll be better for Quinn being the coach over AV, but we are going to be bad this season if we are done. I still think in my head a deal has to happen with the remaining RFA's and a boatload of C's and a need on D, but maybe they want to play it out. I truly am fine if they let this one summer/season go and play kids and do nothing. Deal Zucc at the trade DL. But we need to be back in it to win it after this season. Playing the many year punt is not the answer as it doesn't work more often than it does work, and even when it does work it could take 5, 6, 7 years plus. That is not our answer.

You want to play this year out and get a top 3 pick next year, I am on board. But we better be back in the game next offseason.

12. Ranger71

The Rangers have plenty of 4th line types they need to weed out in the minors so it's better they do nothing there. Nieves, Gropp, Fontaine, Fogarty(even though he's 25 already) are guys that need to be looked at. We kind of know Nieves is pretty good in that role. Fontaine may still be a tad young but close.

13. RangersFan

Yup, punt of a year. One step back for hopefully three steps forward after this upcoming season (with a top 3 pick added hopefully).

14. strudwickisthebest

I don’t this team being a bottom 3 team. Again.. they are playing a veteran goalie and a bunch young veteran forwards

15. Ranger71

Meskanen, Lindqvist and Letteri are also in that mix so there's alot to sift through in Sept. They may not be bottom 3 but i don't see any way they're not in the bottom 7-8 with this roster.

RangersFan likes this.
  16. RangersFan

Bottom 3/bottom 5, this will not be a playoff team. Won't be a very good team.

Forwards are okay and have some depth, but no dynamic talent. The D is very questionable and lacking a lot. Goalie is solid obviously. And having a new coach will help, but we need to be reasonable here and not think going from AV to Quinn will make every player a stud and cure all the ills we will have with a young, inexperienced and potentially softer D. It will not.

Kreider Zibanejad Zuccarello
    Namestnikov Chytil Buchnevich
    Spooner Andersson Meskanen
    Vesey Hayes Fast

Skjei Shattenkirk
    Staal Pionk
    Claesson DeAngelo Smith

Lundqvist
    Georgiev

Ranger71 likes this.
  17. RangersFan

Sounds like ROR to the Blues. They had a really good day I think and are really going for it:

Hearing Ryan O'Reilly has been traded to the St. Louis Blues.

18. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Claesson and DeAngelo should not be on this team period. I am hopeful Lindgren or Hajek will make the team.

19. Ranger71

I think we see some sort of trade over the next 3-4 days. Teams desperate for C help. Or maybe Z goes somewhere. Throw in DA or Gilmour.

20. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

Trade Zibanejad? No thanks.