Free Claver!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    It's finally got to the point where:

1. it's obvious that Terry Stotts would not play Victor in a game if we only had 6 healthy players
    2. I can't stand looking at his sad face sitting on the bench, dreaming of Sunny Spain.

So I say: just cut him now. Obviously nobody will give up even a protected 2020 second-round pick for him, so just let him fly free. Almost certainly he'll go the Sergio route: bounce around a couple of other teams' benches for the next season, then sign a fat contract for a Spanish powerhouse and go back to being happy and adored. It's just the right thing to do. Plus, it gives us the flexibility to consider keeping Darius Morris or pick up some other PG when other teams have to trim their rosters (see 3rd PG thread).

2. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Despite some ability over several positions, he does seem to be wasting a space and Stotts has no confidence in him. If he could only shoot better, he actually has some good skills. I'd let him go as well and sign Darius Morris to be the backup emergency 3rd string PG. He would be happy just to have a contract and Victor would be happy going back home.

:matrix:

3. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

He needs minutes and we do not have the luxury of giving them to him. I bet the Spurs would figure out how to get production out of him.

4. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

I guess it boils down the value of that roster spot this year because he will be gone after this year anyway. And really is there enough value in the roster spot for PA to not only pay him but whoever takes his spot. Does management see enough potential in this team THIS year to warrant making that changeor maybe is it already easier to have a player on the roster that knows that they arent going to play?

5. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

agree, I don't know why we bother keeping him since Stotts appears like he will never use him. I have to believe Vic would agree to a reasonable buyout and gladly go to Europe where he can get plenty of playing time

6. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    It's sad on several levels, but it's also enlightening.

It's sad because Victor is a good guy.
    It's sad because Victor is a good player.
    It's sad because Victor's play style helps chemistry on and off the court.

It's enlighening because it has become clear that the Stotts/Olshey regime places almost no value on non-shooters, so...

It's sad because it means our crazy Trade Machine ideas aren't happening if they involve poor shooters. Put another way, Rondo (or MCW, etc.) is not walking through that door, no matter how much you want him, no matter how many threads you make, even if Ainge calls us up and offers a bargain (which he won't).

Quick Reminder: Victor hasn't actually made the team as we still have 2 extra players in camp and we badly need a third PG.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

OK lets assume we needed an extra roster spot, because I would not release a player just to help them out. Who do we need more in case of a bunch of injuries to one position like we saw last year when we lost LA, Joel and Meyers in the same time frame. Is it smarter to keep Claver who can help out at both forward positions? or Crabbe who can play SG/SF?

I feel bad for Claver but I would not just let him go for nothing. I think he has a skill that can come in handy in case of foul trouble and or injuries...guarding tall SF's........Not saying he can guard Durant or LBJ, because no one can, but he can help. I would even try him on Dirk in a pinch. He is a decent utility guy and since we have to pay him regardless.....keep him or get value for him.

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd rather have Victor's length and defense coming off the bench and let him play out his contract here. Somebody has to be the 14-15 roster spot guy and he's better there than Earl Watson was for us. It's insurance in case rotation players are out. We're a deep team after essentially swapping Mo and Earl for Kaman and Blake. Both Kaman and Blake are going to help Vic's game. When he played one preseason game, he went 1-2 from 3pt range. Next season he will be able to go somewhere where he'll get some court time. I like seeing us with this much depth on the bench

9. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    Victor is a PF. He could be a very good PF. He's neither a good enough shooter or athletic enough to be effectively used at SF.

10. Pinwheel1

But he is a good enough shooter to play PF? What is the difference? I assume you want to play him as a stretch 4, not a Power 4. Either way he needs to be able to shoot as well in games as he supposedly does in practice.

But regardless we are talking about using him on D for certain match ups where his length and not lateral quickness is an asset. I would throw out the SF/PF labels and just think about the Galllinari's of the league. There seems to be increasing number of them. He can guard those guys and do the other intangibles that he is good at.

Again we are only talking about when injuries occur.....but we still need them on the bench.

11. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Claver had two games last season where he played 20+ minutes per game. Also, Stotts started Claver 16 times the season before. As a starter, he scored in double figures ONCE.

12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    His career shooting percentages are:

FG: 39%
    3pt: 27%
    FT: 59%

Truly, he is one of the worst players in the NBA.

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This is why Stotts doesn't play him

14. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

You will eventually understand KingSpeed's posting style and like it on occasion.

15. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    He doesn't need to look sad. He can agree to opt out of his contract and i'm sure the Blazers would allow that. (Although they may feel his expiring contract could be used in a midseason trade)

16. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Just trade him to San Antonio for Cory Joesph. It's a win-win for both teams, the Spurs get a Euro and we get our 3rd PG (An ex-Longhorn too so LMA will like it).

17. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

He's just keeping the bench warm. Let him go. It's not like he'll be hard to replace.

18. Pinwheel1

Yeah I agree that with a bench that includes Kaman, TRob, CJ and Blake, I would rather have another guy spreading the floor like Wright or Wes in there.

However if Batum was ever to get hurt I would not mind seeing Claver start in his place. His limited stats do not reflect how he can help this team. Shooting stats almost always improve with consistent minutes.

19. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

It's because Paul Allen doesn't like to let go. How's Elliot Williams doin in the NBA?

20. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    If he had a post up game, I would agree with you. The fact is, Claver can't score in the paint. He can barely make a layup!

Claver is a great guy and has good Bball iq, but he doesn't possess the skills offensively to force Stotts to play him.