Fresno State at No. 4 Oregon ~ 9/8/2012 - Game Thread!

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by SlyPokerDog, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Wow..... it was out of bounds! That's BULLSHIT.

2. Natebishop3

The announcers don't know that this is what Oregon does when they want to slow it down and milk clock. Do your homework nubs!

3. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    some horrible horrible plays by our D to pretty much give Fres a TD.

4. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

If we have Natty aspirations this season, we have to play better agains teams like Fresno State. Our defense was hyped this season, but so far, I'm not seeing anything special. It's solid, but hasn't looked great.

For the 1st quarter and a half vs. AKS Mariota sliced and diced their defense with the pass, and this game, hardly anything was attempted down field.

Defending the run and short dink passes aren't so difficult if you're not worried about defending anything else. Also, Ducks need to use Colt Lyerla more in the passing game!

5. Natebishop3

I agree. I don't know why they don't use Colt more.

6. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    I wish i had something to contribute to this thread, but i couldn't watch or listen to the game because Directv hates Oregon sports teams.

7. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

havent seen the whole game yet... watching on DVR but safe to say I know the outcome. I am reading complaining about the lack of passing, lack of this, and that... let me ask you this. Why the crap would Chip Open up the playbook when they are fine and ahead against this competition with limited plays being run. I read that in the opener Oregon only ran 9 different plays. Opening up everything against patsies doesnt benefit Oregon at all, it just gives conference foes more to prepare for.

STOMP likes this.
  8. Wheels

Thomas has shown a pretty good stiff arm today

9. Natebishop3

I'm merely asking that he go to the air when they are stacked against the run. Chip can be pretty stubborn about sticking to the run even when it's not working.

10. Wheels

I understand what you're saying.. but again what benefit would it give Oregon other than making the score prettier. Mariota is inexperienced.. Oregon is a run first zone read team.. from what I saw Mariota. Got quite bit of experience with decision making in the zone read last night. 565 total yards of offense while being predictable with the play calling and not showing your hand to future opponents? You'll have to excuse me if I'm a little amused by complaints. We are def spoiled as Oregon fans that's for sure :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  11. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Missed the game entirely as I was driving down 101 to Crescent City for a few days. From what I have read we can score at will but our defense isn't manning up.

12. Natebishop3

Yeah, but how many of those yards came in the first half? Fres State pretty much shut us down in the second half, and we couldn't get much of anything going. We had one other good drive that ended in a fumble if I remember correctly, but overall the second half looked terrible from an offensive standpoint. That was my concern.

Actually I thought the defense played pretty well considering the circumstances. In the second half we fumbled two possessions in a row in our own territory. We also gave them great field position a number of times because our offense simply couldn't find a rhythm again. They held us to one TD in the second half, and the only reason why we scored is because Chip slowed it down and read the defense on each play to exploit them. I would say the second half was far from being able to score at will. Yes, the defense needs some work, but I thought they played hard and did the best they could with what they were given. They actually dropped a couple of passes that should have been INTs and Carr made a couple of amazing passes that should have been sacks.

13. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Its a learning process for a freshman quarterback. This game didn't put a damper on my expectations for the season one iota. Or, Mariota, that is... hahahahaha I'm so clever.

14. MickZagger

UPS
    Colt Lyerla could be playing on Sunday's RIGHT NOW.

15. Natebishop3

See, but that's what I don't understand. Why didn't they open it up and pass to Colt more?

16. MickZagger

UPS
    Lots of weapons to appease.

17. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I have noticed that each game we have a LOT of different receivers making catches. I really like that.

18. Wheels

Again though that was with a basic playbook and not being opened up. I'm not saying the Ducks looked good when Fresno St was able to only worry about the run. But expecting Oregon to be able to run over every opponent (especially when they know whats coming) is both unrealistic, and a disservice to the opponent. Fresno St isnt some Division 2 team. The game was ugly, but there was no reason to open it up and make it look "pretty" from an offensive standpoint

19. Natebishop3

You know it's funny, I was watching the Niners/Packers game today and I realized how much the Ducks have spoiled me over the past two years. I was annoyed that the Niners didn't win by more. What have they done to me!?!

20. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

It's not like the game was out of reach, a few bad bounces or turnover for a touchdown and Fresno State is right back in the game. At one point Fresno State out scored the Ducks 13-3 or something like that. I think the Ducks did try to open it up at times, but the offense, in general, wasn't working effciently in the second half.

I agree with your other point, this isn't a division II school and Freson State deserves credit. They came out and took it to the Ducks in the second half playing them even or maybe even outplayig them. Kelly kept it simple to preserve the win not because he doesn't want to expose his offense, IMO.