Notice From My Cold Dead Hands......

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by THE HCP, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Nobody suggested letting felons buy guns. In fact, that is the opposite of what I've suggested.

2. Phatguysrule

That's a conversation we could go into, but it just wouldn't lead anywhere productive.

A big part of it though, is that there is a huge resistance to a national list of gun owners. Which any universal background check system would be.

So any attempt at anything universal would be undermined every step of the way. The only thing that will ever be allowed is state level checks. Which will range from inconsistent to non-existent at best.

That's why I propose simply restricting those we've deemed dangerous. Basically violent criminals. Those who committed domestic violence, etc.

You'd get support for that right away. Nearly across the board. Nobody is going to argue that we should arm criminals.

3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He wore it into the machine?

SlyPokerDog and Phatguysrule like this.
  5. Phatguysrule

Dude. A freaking pen can kill you in one of those machines... Let alone a heavy chunk of steel like a gun.

It's hard to believe somebody smart enough to get a law degree would be so stupid.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    SlyPokerDog likes this.
  6. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Not sure I understand this. You can do a background check without recording the purchase.

So a universal database of those who aren't allowed to buy guns. So you'd do a database query, (you could call it a 'background check') to see if a customer was allowed to buy.

How is that different?

barfo

Phatguysrule likes this.
  7. Phatguysrule

The problem being that every person who did a background check could be assumed to be a gun owner with a reasonable degree of confidence.

Not a universal system. Each state already has a database of people who are not allowed to buy guns. The universal part is requiring the states to mark the ID of those people. Which every state already has the capability of doing. And a federal law criminalizing the act of supplying restricted people with firearms. This is empowering the states, as well as giving them a new source of revenue. It's also reducing the workload of doing background checks.

It's different because no law abiding citizens would be in this database. You are not targeting law abiding citizens, you're targeting dangerous criminals. No added cost or inconvenience for anybody except criminals who have to pay for their restricted ID. Thereby you'd have a lot less resistance.

8. barfo

You are assuming that those whose background is checked are then recorded in a database. That doesn't have to be the case. Instead the seller could be required to retain proof of the buyer passing the check.

Yeah, but... is the state going to check with all the other states (and the feds) whether the ID applicant is a criminal? So basically do a universal background check on everyone who applies for an ID, gun purchaser or not? Or are you wanting a system where a criminal can just apply for an ID in a different state and then buy guns as desired?

barfo

9. Phatguysrule

Yes, that is what is assumed. And that's why people oppose it. If you enter your name into a government database search there is a record of that search. The government will be keeping that record. The government will know that the search happened and that it was with the intention of purchasing a gun.

We know that this is the case, and that they will do this even if they are not supposed to.

Just like Homeland Security did with our phone calls and meta data, even though it was unconstitutional for them to do so.

Yes. I am proposing that database be a nationwide database. It's already a felony to sell guns to out of state buyers if you don't have an FFL. And if you want to buy a gun in another state or online you have to go through an FFL dealer. I wouldn't change that.

I am proposing that anybody else who sells to a buyer without an unrestricted in state ID be charged with a felony and have their ID confiscated and replaced with their very own firearm restricted ID.

10. barfo

Well, I like it, it's certainly better than nothing. Although how much better is debatable.
    There is a scarlet letter problem - the people who have committed whatever sin that got them on the list will be identifiable to anyone who sees their drivers license - bartenders, store clerks, banks, etc.
    And if you are putting mentally ill people on the list, then your grocery store cashier can ask you - "so, are you a criminal, or are you crazy? Or both?"
    One can imagine that various non-gun related businesses might decide not to do business with such people, making it harder for them to reintegrate into society, assuming they are trying to do so.
    And then there are the first-time offenders - every offender is a first time offender the first time, and your system doesn't do much to lessen first-time gun offenses.

barfo

11. Phatguysrule

We already use these restrictions on drivers licenses for medical and other driving restrictions.

Hasn't been a problem yet that I'm aware of. And employers are already at liberty to do background checks.

There is private information on your ID. If there weren't it wouldn't be very valuable.

[​IMG]

12. Shogun X

Shogun X Ex El Presidente

13. Shogun X

14. barfo

Sure, whether you need glasses or not. I guess there's a risk that someone might call you 'four-eyes' upon looking at your license?
    That seems a long way from identifying you as a felon or as mentally ill.

barfo

15. Shogun X

16. Phatguysrule

Or that you have a habit of driving drunk. Or other similar restrictions that show you've committed a crime and are limited to driving a specific time or place.

Very similar to what a firearm restriction would expose.

17. barfo

I don't think they put drunk driving violations on your license card, do they?
    I don't know for sure, but I'd guess if you lose your license, you either get an ID card instead (which itself doesn't suggest why you don't have a license to drive - maybe, like my granny, you just never learned how), or you are still in possession of your license card, but the cops see that it's suspended if they look you up.
    But I don't have first hand experience with (being caught) driving drunk, so I'm listening if anyone has better info.

barfo

Phatguysrule likes this.
  18. Phatguysrule

You can get a hardship license with the restriction code listed which will let you drive with specific restrictions. For a lot of different things.

19. Shogun X

20. barfo

You can. But that's voluntary, not mandatory. And I don't think the code spells out what the hardship might be. There's no 'can only drive sober' code, for example.

barfo

Phatguysrule likes this.