Frustrated Benitez rues missed opportunities

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC' started by CelticKing, Nov 5, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Frustrated Benitez rues missed opportunities</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>BLACKBURN, England (AFP) - Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez admitted he was disappointed to see his team lose the opportunity to gain ground on the Premier League leaders after their 0-0 draw with Blackburn.

But the Spaniard, whose side now sits seventh but only six points behind table-toppers Arsenal, insisted the title race will remain closely fought throughout the season.

"I said before, at the beginning of the season, that this year will be more difficult for everyone," Benitez said. "You can see it is not easy to win games in a row.

"For us, with one game in hand, if we can keep close to the top of the table, we have Daniel Agger, Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso to come back and we will have more options, more options for me and more options for the team on the pitch.

"We have one game in hand and the team is progressing. The last four games we have been playing better and creating enough chances to win every game. I feel this is very positive but you need to take your chances and finish games.

"If you don't play well and create chances, it's a problem. We continue creating chances every game and, for me, that's the most important thing. If we can now improve and score one goal, I'm sure it will be a little bit easier."

Liverpool certainly had the chances to win at Ewood Park on Saturday, particularly in the closing stages, with Steven Gerrard twice denied by excellent Brad Friedel saves, and Dirk Kuyt guilty of at least two glaring misses.

And Benitez admitted that, for this reason, he left Blackburn a disappointed man. "Before the game, playing against a Blackburn team that is doing well, we knew it would be a tough game," he said.

"After the game, with the chances we had, we could have won clearly in the second half. They were very clear chances so I am disappointed."

Liverpool have now drawn six of their 11 Premier League games and, although unbeaten in the league, are facing increasing pressure, particularly as defeat against Besiktas in the Champions League on Tuesday will see them exit the competition.

"I think about the positive things," said Benitez. "If we create those chances against Beskitas, I'm sure we will score. It is important for me to see the team going forward with confidence at the end and pressing."

The draw keeps Blackburn one point above Liverpool and Rovers manager Mark Hughes insists that, with luck and a clean bill of health, his team can contend near the top of the table for the remainder of the season.

"It is a long season," said Hughes. "And you saw today, when we are missing a few key personnel, that sometimes effects us.

"We've now played three of the top four teams and gone unbeaten against them. We play Manchester United next weekend, so hopefully we can complete the set!

"We're realistic. What we're saying is we will have an effect on who gets the Champions League places.

"Whether we actually get in ourselves is open to debate but, as I said, we have taken point off three of the big four and that may effect them down the line. Who's to say we can't sustain this?

"We have a good squad, the best since I have been here and, people tell me, one of the best here for many, many years.

"But we know it is very difficult to break into the top four. Manchester United were champions of the Premier League last year and went out and spent 50 million pounds so it is very difficult to break in."</div></p>

2. Art_gunner4life

Art_gunner4life DYC Arsenal Fan

So, benitez hopes he can get a draw against Manu....lol, what optimism! ...I really hopethey get a draw or even beat manure so we can take a 2 game advantage but at the form they are currently playing, sounds like more dissapointment coming to them!</p>

3. CelticKing

We should be able to beat Liverpool easily.</p>

4. Art_gunner4life

yeah, should be a stroll on the park for manu!, where is the game played?....OT or Anfield?</p>

5. CelticKing

Anfield I believe. Second week of Dec. I think.</p>

6. Art_gunner4life

<font style="background-color: #f4f4f4">Its pretty tough going in there, but if manucan keep their form, then they should have no problem withtthem! injuries will be a factor for manu if they lose rooney or ronaldo, they have been the soul of the team so far.</font></p>

7. CelticKing

Yeah, hopefully we don't have any more injuries, or else getting a draw there would be hard.</p>