Game Thread GAME# 1: JAZZ @ BLAZERS - OCTOBER 25, 2016 - TUESDAY, 7:00 (PDT), KGW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Which place in the West will the Blazers rank at the end of the season?

Poll closed Oct 27, 2016.
  1. 1st

9.8%
  2. 2nd

7.3%
  3. 3rd

34.1%
  4. 4th

39.0%
  5. 5th

6.1%
  6. 6th

2.4%
  7. 7th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10th or lower

1.2%
  1. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    A certain jazz fan posted about how Gobert was going to get 35-15-5, and I make a silly mock post of this. But, after watching the highlights for the 5th time, I'm starting to wonder whether it's precisely because of Gobert that we won. Our centers repeatedly set screens beyond the 3 point line, and Gobert wouldn't follow. Of course he wouldn't, this is bball fundamentals: he'd either get blown by or a quick pass and their best rim protector is 25 feet from the rim. But, his insistence not to go out leaves open 3s. Looking around the NBA tonight, this is fine against a variety of teams. The blazers are not one of those teams. Fun note: on the same highlight reel, Plumlee is setting a pick for Dame about SIX FEET from the halfcourt!

Our defense is sketchy, and in the 3rd quarter almost cost us the game. But, check out the Jazz defense on the most pivotal play of the game (minute and a half left, Blazers up by 4 with the ball):
    Capture.PNG

Gobert is still in the paint! It's not just Gobert stuck in the paint, look at the jazz defense. Harkless is wide open in the slot.

My guess is that what's suppose to happen is this:
    Gobert retreats to defend Harkless
    Harkless's man to rotate to CJ.
    CJs man suppose to switch onto Lillard.

It didn't happen. 2 of the 3 players failed, here.

1) In order to play good defense, everyone must be on the same page and rotate to the right man.
    2) Playing good defense is hard.
    3) If this is the Jazz defense, I don't want to analyze the Blazer's defense!
    4) I wouldn't want to be a defensive coach!

2. Darkwebs

Darkwebs Awakened to emptiness Staff Member Moderator

This is a cool, short video, looking back at our 16-game home opener winning streak.

3. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

I finally got to see this game. Dame is amazing, and looks to have improved from last season. I didn't think that was possible. It could have been the tight top, but Dame's body control at the rim makes me think that he's increased his core and upper body strength. Vonleh doesn't even need to do more than what he's currently doing, just do it consistently, and he'll be one of the better 4's in the league. I'd like to see Turner try to get to the rim more, instead of settling for mid-range 2's.

Darkwebs and SlyPokerDog like this.