Game Thread GAME# 1: JAZZ @ BLAZERS - OCTOBER 25, 2016 - TUESDAY, 7:00 (PDT), KGW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Which place in the West will the Blazers rank at the end of the season?

Poll closed Oct 27, 2016.
  1. 1st

9.8%
  2. 2nd

7.3%
  3. 3rd

34.1%
  4. 4th

39.0%
  5. 5th

6.1%
  6. 6th

2.4%
  7. 7th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10th or lower

1.2%
  1. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Agreed, everyone on here gets to feel a little smarter with him around. He doesn't make any persuasive arguments at all.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

EXCLUSIVE: Free Throw Guy is hosting a pop 'n shot tourney at my work cafeteria right now.

SlyPokerDog and blue9 like this.
  3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Your the Janitor at Harriet Tubman Middle School?

jlprk, SlyPokerDog and BlazerCaravan like this.
  4. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Interesting take by David "LockedonJazz"
    http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/
    starting at about the 7:00 minute mark. He talks about why PDX has been so successful against the jazz. good listen as always.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    RipCityDSCPL and illmatic99 like this.
  5. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Member

Basically I think Blazers got pretty lucky with their health situation and they got a statistical anomaly from Aminu (though to his credit his good shooting run extended into the playoffs and in this year's preseason).

And I question how this helps your offense:

As an opponent, I will smile whenever Lillard or CJ are on the court and this dude has the ball in his hands.

6. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Aminu, like all of our other starters, has not yet reached his peak. At some point, an 82 game season + 11 playoff games + 7 game preseason is no longer a fluke and becomes a trend. His improved 3 point shooting actually started the season before in the playoffs for DAL. That's 105 games of better than league average 3-point shooting. Chief will never be Steph Curry, but when your 5th best 3-point shooter is better than league average that's a good thing to have.

I don't expect to see a ton of Turner + Dame + C.J. We don't need all three of them together. Turner was brought in to be a secondary ball handler when one of Dame of C.J. is out of the game. That was a big problem for us last year.

We had first Tim Frazier and then Brian Roberts as our backup PGs last season. Both are capable ball handlers, but both are also generously listed as 6'1" in shoes. Frazier is closer to 5'11". You simply can't play a smaller PG with Lillard or C.J. for meaningful minutes - and Stotts didn't. Those two hardly played at all. Our backcourt is a bit undersized to begin with and bringing in an even smaller guard to let Dame or C.J. play off the ball is a disaster on the defensive end.

So, whenever one of our starting guards went out of the game, we ended up with a lone ball handler, who was also our best scorer. That made it really easy for opposing defenses to swarm the lone ball handler and completely shut down our offense at the point of attack. Unfortunately, none of Gerald Henderson, Allen Crabbe, Maurice Harkless and Al-Farouq Aminu are capable ball handlers. So, last year, whenever Dame or C.J. rested, we had trouble just getting the ball across half court, let alone running the offense once we got there.

In prior years, we had Nic Batum, as a point forward, to help handle the ball and initiate the offense, but he was sent to CHO in the Vonleh/Henderson trade. It was very obvious last season that we missed a ball handler of size to pair with our smaller guards.

Enter Evan Turner. At 6'7", he gives us an additional ball handler of size to pair with Dame or C.J. when the other leaves the game. It doesn't make sense to start all three. That's redundant. Our two best guards/ball handlers will start, but when one of them leaves the game, Turner will come in to help bring the ball up the floor and initiate the offense. This is the same role Turner played, and played will, in BOS. His role isn't to take shots away from Dame and C.J., it's to create more higher percentage catch and shoot opportunities for them. A shot of Tuner missing a jumper in preseason doesn't change that.

BNM

7. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

I raise you

8. BlazerBeav

BlazerBeav Well-Known Member

I thought he had retired himself?

9. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Maybe now he's just using his Brand to promote his public speaking gigs? It was definitely FTG, in a Free Throw Guy tee shirt. He speaks very well as a host.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  10. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Member

Another thing on Evan Turner. Prior to joining the Celtics I thought he was one of the worst perimeter defenders in the league. I wonder if he regresses joining an average defensive team.

11. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Alright! It looks like we got some SLC Punks in the room. Keep up that banter boys.... you could make up for the loss of the Sonics fan boys.

12. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

except.....mormons....

13. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Not going to make a Big Love or Joseph Smith joke..... (must resist urge.) Come on, Ripcityboy. That's too easy. You're better than that.

14. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

You must have him confused with Joe Johnson.

In his entire 6 year NBA career, Evan Turner has only had a negative DBPM (Defensive Box Plus/Minus) one time, Even when he played on those shitty PHI teams, he was an above average defender for his position.

Joe Johnson has had a negative DBPM for 14 consecutive seasons. I wonder what the all time record is. You have to go all the way back too his rookie year, 15 years ago in BOS, ironically, to find the last time Joe Johnson wasn't a worse than average defender.

BNM

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

well defense is a team skill....and I'm sure you'd love to see our new guy fail.....but honestly...what you thought about him years ago is probably not the most objective point to make but...there doesn't seem to be anyone cheering in the Jazz forum..? That is two doors down the hallway on the right...

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

This is just an awesome read. I'm gonna make popcorn. BNM putting the smack down with Facts!!!!!!!

RipCityDSCPL and GoBlazersGo like this.
  17. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Oh HELL NO. I got this, guys. Is ESPN relevant? They picked us over the Jazz:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17862484/2016-17-nba-preview

Last we saw the Jazz, they let old man Kobe (one of the worst players in the league) shit all over them to the tune of 60 points.

Joe Johnson and Boris Diaw will get you nowhere.

I bet you $200 the Blazers have a better record than the Jazz at the end of this season. I warn you. I always win my bets and then the losers (HCP, Draco) cry in a corner and refuses to pay.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    RipCityDSCPL and Orion Bailey like this.
  18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Im sorry in advance for this, but......

I CANT FUCKING WAIT UNTIL TONIGHT!!! GOD DAMN!!!!

GO BLAZERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like energy is seaping down my neck from out of my ear im so excited!!!!!

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

20. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

I predict a win tonight. Bold, yes, I know.

Wizard Mentor and riverman like this.